[Feat] Supernatural Transformation

I was looking at Savage Species this morning and noticed the
Supernatural Transformation Feat for the first time. It converts a
Spell-like Ability into a Supernatural Ability. This means that it
avoids Spell Resistance. Which got me thinking... could a Warlock take
this Feat and make their Eldritch Blast into a Supernatural attack?

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

Tetsubo wrote:
> I was looking at Savage Species this morning and noticed the
> Supernatural Transformation Feat for the first time. It converts a
> Spell-like Ability into a Supernatural Ability. This means that it
> avoids Spell Resistance. Which got me thinking... could a Warlock take
> this Feat and make their Eldritch Blast into a Supernatural attack?

By the rules, yes.

Whether the DM allows it or not is a different question. I'm kind of on
the fence; it's weaker that Vitriolic Blast in that it doesn't have the
blast do any extra damage, but stronger in that it's not affected by
Globe of Invulnerability. And Vitriolic Blast is a Greater invocation.

Laszlo

Mark Blunden wrote:
> Tetsubo wrote:
> > I was looking at Savage Species this morning and noticed the
> > Supernatural Transformation Feat for the first time. It converts a
> > Spell-like Ability into a Supernatural Ability. This means that it
> > avoids Spell Resistance. Which got me thinking... could a Warlock take
> > this Feat and make their Eldritch Blast into a Supernatural attack?
>
> No. This is covered in the latest D&D v3.5 FAQ:
>
> Can a warlock qualify for the Supernatural Transformation feat (Savage
> Species, page 39) and change one of his invocations into a supernatural
> ability?
>
> No. The warlock's spell-like abilities are learned (from class levels), not
> innate (that is, part of his racial traits).

Huh. Nice catch.

Laszlo

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Mark Blunden wrote:
>> Tetsubo wrote:
>
>>> I was looking at Savage Species this morning and noticed the
>>> Supernatural Transformation Feat for the first time. It converts a
>>> Spell-like Ability into a Supernatural Ability. This means that it
>>> avoids Spell Resistance. Which got me thinking... could a Warlock take
>>> this Feat and make their Eldritch Blast into a Supernatural attack?
>>
>> No. This is covered in the latest D&D v3.5 FAQ:
>>
>> Can a warlock qualify for the Supernatural Transformation feat (Savage
>> Species, page 39) and change one of his invocations into a supernatural
>> ability?
>>
>> No. The warlock's spell-like abilities are learned (from class levels),
>> not innate (that is, part of his racial traits).
>
> Huh. Nice catch.

Unsurprisingly, the Character Optimisation folks at the Wizards of the Coast
boards latched on to Supernatural Transformation really quickly - but Rich Baker
slapped them down almost right away, and then the FAQ made it official.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Berawler: Is there any sanity or light left in this shrivelled husk of a world?
SingingDancingMoose: There was, but we had to trade it in for the internet.
Berawler: That is quite possibly the best response to any question ever.

drow

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004

Alien mind control rays made Christopher Adams <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> write:
> Unsurprisingly, the Character Optimisation folks at the Wizards of
> the Coast boards latched on to Supernatural Transformation really
> quickly - but Rich Baker slapped them down almost right away, and
> then the FAQ made it official.

however, with paragon/racial class levels...

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/>
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mark Blunden wrote:
> Tetsubo wrote:
> > I was looking at Savage Species this morning and noticed the
> > Supernatural Transformation Feat for the first time. It converts a
> > Spell-like Ability into a Supernatural Ability. This means that it
> > avoids Spell Resistance. Which got me thinking... could a Warlock take
> > this Feat and make their Eldritch Blast into a Supernatural attack?
>
> No. This is covered in the latest D&D v3.5 FAQ:
>
> Can a warlock qualify for the Supernatural Transformation feat (Savage
> Species, page 39) and change one of his invocations into a supernatural
> ability?
>
> No. The warlock's spell-like abilities are learned (from class levels), not
> innate (that is, part of his racial traits).

There's one very big problem with thier "interpretation". The class
description of Warlock. Like Sorcerers, they are "Born, not made"
This would make the power innate in any reading I can make of it.

- Justisaur

Justisaur wrote:
> Mark Blunden wrote:
>> Tetsubo wrote:
>>> I was looking at Savage Species this morning and noticed the
>>> Supernatural Transformation Feat for the first time. It converts a
>>> Spell-like Ability into a Supernatural Ability. This means that it
>>> avoids Spell Resistance. Which got me thinking... could a Warlock
>>> take this Feat and make their Eldritch Blast into a Supernatural
>>> attack?
>>
>> No. This is covered in the latest D&D v3.5 FAQ:
>>
>> Can a warlock qualify for the Supernatural Transformation feat
>> (Savage Species, page 39) and change one of his invocations into a
>> supernatural ability?
>>
>> No. The warlock's spell-like abilities are learned (from class
>> levels), not innate (that is, part of his racial traits).
>>

> There's one very big problem with thier "interpretation". The class
> description of Warlock. Like Sorcerers, they are "Born, not made"
> This would make the power innate in any reading I can make of it.

Look at it this way: The raw power is innate (it even says so in the class
description), but the ability to channel that power into specific spell-like
abilities is learned - a potential warlock who has never learned to master
his gift cannot manifest it in the form of spell-like abilities, whereas,
for instance, an Aasimar can manifest his Daylight ability with no training
at all.

--
Mark.

KAOS

On 31 Jul 2005 09:54:11 -0700, "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> dared
speak in front of ME:

>Mark Blunden wrote:
>> Tetsubo wrote:
>> > I was looking at Savage Species this morning and noticed the
>> > Supernatural Transformation Feat for the first time. It converts a
>> > Spell-like Ability into a Supernatural Ability. This means that it
>> > avoids Spell Resistance. Which got me thinking... could a Warlock take
>> > this Feat and make their Eldritch Blast into a Supernatural attack?
>>
>> No. This is covered in the latest D&D v3.5 FAQ:
>>
>> Can a warlock qualify for the Supernatural Transformation feat (Savage
>> Species, page 39) and change one of his invocations into a supernatural
>> ability?
>>
>> No. The warlock's spell-like abilities are learned (from class levels), not
>> innate (that is, part of his racial traits).
>>

>There's one very big problem with thier "interpretation". The class
>description of Warlock. Like Sorcerers, they are "Born, not made"

Last I checked, that was a *possible* interpretation for Sorcs; not
the *only* interpretation. Haven't seen the Warlock, though.

>This would make the power innate in any reading I can make of it.

I see it as a learned ability stemming from an innate power.
--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

drow

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004

Alien mind control rays made Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net> write:
> I was looking at Savage Species this morning and noticed the
> Supernatural Transformation Feat for the first time. It converts a
> Spell-like Ability into a Supernatural Ability. This means that it
> avoids Spell Resistance. Which got me thinking... could a Warlock take
> this Feat and make their Eldritch Blast into a Supernatural attack?

all things considerd, the FAQ can stuff it, i'd be fine with it IMC.
just MHO. it would be far from the munchkiniest thing ever.

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/>
// \ X-Windows: The defacto sub-standard.
// \_\ -- Dude from DPAK