DVI connections

ems4you2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2005
Hi,
Just a very very basic question. I recently bought a Samsung 930b monitor. It doesn't come with a DVI cable but it supports the connection. Im thinking about getting a DVI cable. What are the advantages over my standard analog connection? How about in terms of gaming, watching movies, doing work...

In case its relevant, I have this video card:
radeon 9600 pro

Thanks so much

RichPLS

Champion
Visually, I find it hard to notice, technically, you get a cleaner signal. Prefer to use DVI if cad and monitor supports it.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Chuck_Hsiao

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2005
People's opinions differ. I didn't notice much of a difference when I went to DVI. But I don't do any hardcore gaming or anything that's taxing on the monitor.

I do know that it means you no longer have to worry about making sure your clock and phase settings are correct. People tend to think their monitor is blurry when it is actually small details like those. And it does mean a better connection. Just one that I don't need.

I'm surprised that it didn't come with a cable. I thought Samsung includes DVI cables with their DVI monitors.

willkoh

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2005
From what I understand DVI is *extremely* important for anyone who cares about sharpness. I had the Samsung 913N which had a grainy picture which seems due to lack of DVI as I asked around. The reson some folks say it's not important is that they really don't care about sharpness because they only use it to play games, which have quite messy/abstract graphics anyway. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think anyone working with text would go insane without DVI.

RichPLS

Champion
My neighbor has an LCD and uses the anolog cable. What I have seen, is there is very, very little difference whichever you use, much less than the difference between cheap low end monitors verses good quality ones.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>