Closed

Practiced Spellcaster

The feat states that it increases you caster level by 4.

If you take this feat and Improved familiar, can you get a Pseudo-Dragon
with only 3 levels of wizard and 4 levels of other classes?
39 answers Last reply
More about practiced spellcaster

    Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    > The feat states that it increases you caster level by 4.
    >
    > If you take this feat and Improved familiar, can you get a Pseudo-Dragon
    > with only 3 levels of wizard and 4 levels of other classes?

    Impossible to tell (depends on what, exactly, "arcane spellcasting
    level" is supposed to mean). The next "Rules of the Game" article is
    actually going to be about familiars, so hopefully that'll answer your
    question.

    For what it's worth, I'd allow it.

    Laszlo

    Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:

    > The feat states that it increases you caster level by 4.
    >
    > If you take this feat and Improved familiar, can you get a Pseudo-Dragon
    > with only 3 levels of wizard and 4 levels of other classes?

    No. Familiars' power is determined by a character's class level in any classes
    that grant the familiar ability - so the only way to get a pseudo-dragon
    familiar with only three levels of wizard would be to have four levels of
    sorcerer (or another class which grants a familiar).

    Practiced Spellcaster affects caster level only - checks to overcome spell
    resistance, spell damage dice, et cetera.

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

    Berawler: Is there any sanity or light left in this shrivelled husk of a world?
    SingingDancingMoose: There was, but we had to trade it in for the internet.
    Berawler: That is quite possibly the best response to any question ever.

    Christopher Adams wrote:
    > Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    >>
    >> The feat states that it increases you caster level by 4.
    >>
    >> If you take this feat and Improved familiar, can you get a
    >> Pseudo-Dragon with only 3 levels of wizard and 4 levels of other
    >> classes?
    >
    > No. Familiars' power is determined by a character's class level in
    > any classes that grant the familiar ability - so the only way to get
    > a pseudo-dragon familiar with only three levels of wizard would be to
    > have four levels of sorcerer (or another class which grants a
    > familiar).

    Or another arcane casting class (such as Bard) and the Obtain Familiar feat
    from Complete Arcane.

    --
    Mark.

    "Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    > Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    >>
    >> The feat states that it increases you caster level by 4.
    >>
    >> If you take this feat and Improved familiar, can you get a Pseudo-Dragon
    >> with only 3 levels of wizard and 4 levels of other classes?
    >
    > No. Familiars' power is determined by a character's class level in any
    > classes that grant the familiar ability - so the only way to get a
    > pseudo-dragon familiar with only three levels of wizard would be to have
    > four levels of sorcerer (or another class which grants a familiar).
    >
    > Practiced Spellcaster affects caster level only - checks to overcome spell
    > resistance, spell damage dice, et cetera.

    I don't see how you say it is "no."

    The Imp Fam feat reads as the prerquisite "Arcane spellcaster level - 7th"

    Practiced Spellcaster increases your caster level by 4, which is what is
    used in determining the prerequisite. If this raises my caster level of
    Wizard (an arcan spell casting class) by 4 from 3 to 7 - it qualifies.

    No where does it say that you MUST BE A 7th LEVEL WIZARD/SORCERER - only
    that you must have an arcane spell caster level of 7

    Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    > The feat states that it increases you caster level by 4.
    >
    > If you take this feat and Improved familiar, can you get a Pseudo-Dragon
    > with only 3 levels of wizard and 4 levels of other classes?

    No, any more than you can claim the ability to take the Craft Wand feat
    with 1 level of Wizard and 4 levels of Cleric.

    Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    > "Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    >>
    >>>The feat states that it increases you caster level by 4.
    >>>
    >>>If you take this feat and Improved familiar, can you get a Pseudo-Dragon
    >>>with only 3 levels of wizard and 4 levels of other classes?
    >>
    >>No. Familiars' power is determined by a character's class level in any
    >>classes that grant the familiar ability - so the only way to get a
    >>pseudo-dragon familiar with only three levels of wizard would be to have
    >>four levels of sorcerer (or another class which grants a familiar).
    >>
    >>Practiced Spellcaster affects caster level only - checks to overcome spell
    >>resistance, spell damage dice, et cetera.
    >>

    > I don't see how you say it is "no."
    >
    > The Imp Fam feat reads as the prerquisite "Arcane spellcaster level - 7th"

    The caster level of your spells and your arcane spellcaster level isn't
    the same
    thing, as you can see by looking at a multiclass sorceror/bard. He may
    be 3/4 in
    his 2 classes, but they don't stack for purposes of caster level.

    > Practiced Spellcaster increases your caster level by 4, which is what is
    > used in determining the prerequisite. If this raises my caster level of
    > Wizard (an arcan spell casting class) by 4 from 3 to 7 - it qualifies.
    >
    > No where does it say that you MUST BE A 7th LEVEL WIZARD/SORCERER - only
    > that you must have an arcane spell caster level of 7

    Practiced Spellcaster does NOT raise your arcane spellcaster level--if
    it did, you'd
    also have more spells per day, which you don't. All it does is change
    the value of
    spells you class from a given class so they are more effective than your
    actual class
    level would dicate.

    Now, if the other 4 levels were in a prestige class that granted a bonus
    to your arcane
    caster level (such as alienist), they WOULD count towards the
    prerequisite. Since it's
    impossible to qualify for alienist at 3rd level, though, this renders
    this specific point moot,
    but not for higher level builds.

    "Master Grunthros the Flatulent" <Erich__G@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The feat states that it increases you caster level by 4.
    >>>
    >>> If you take this feat and Improved familiar, can you get a Pseudo-Dragon
    >>> with only 3 levels of wizard and 4 levels of other classes?
    >>
    >> No. Familiars' power is determined by a character's class level in any
    >> classes that grant the familiar ability - so the only way to get a
    >> pseudo-dragon familiar with only three levels of wizard would be to have
    >> four levels of sorcerer (or another class which grants a familiar).
    >>
    >> Practiced Spellcaster affects caster level only - checks to overcome
    >> spell resistance, spell damage dice, et cetera.
    >>

    > I don't see how you say it is "no."
    >
    > The Imp Fam feat reads as the prerquisite "Arcane spellcaster level - 7th"
    >
    > Practiced Spellcaster increases your caster level by 4, which is what is
    > used in determining the prerequisite. If this raises my caster level of
    > Wizard (an arcan spell casting class) by 4 from 3 to 7 - it qualifies.
    >
    > No where does it say that you MUST BE A 7th LEVEL WIZARD/SORCERER - only
    > that you must have an arcane spell caster level of 7

    As a matter of fact, there is a discussion in Complete Arcane discussing a
    similar matter, and according to my reading, Practiced Spellcaster *would*
    fulfill the requirement.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    "Some Guy" <someguy@thedoor.gov> wrote in message
    > Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    >> The feat states that it increases you caster level by 4.
    >>
    >> If you take this feat and Improved familiar, can you get a Pseudo-Dragon
    >> with only 3 levels of wizard and 4 levels of other classes?
    >
    > No, any more than you can claim the ability to take the Craft Wand feat
    > with 1 level of Wizard and 4 levels of Cleric.

    Since you have caster level 5 due to the feat (thus meeting the
    prerequisite), you most certainly can take Craft Wand.

    --

    Christopher Adams wrote:

    > No. "Arcane spellcaster level" = "class level in an arcane spellcasting class",
    > i.e., wizard and sorcerer.

    How do you know? It could just as easily be "caster level in an arcane
    spellcasting class".

    Laszlo

    Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:

    > I don't see how you say it is "no."

    Well, let's see.

    > The Imp Fam feat reads as the prerquisite "Arcane spellcaster level -
    > 7th"

    Yes.

    > Practiced Spellcaster increases your caster level by 4, which is what is
    > used in determining the prerequisite. If this raises my caster level of
    > Wizard (an arcan spell casting class) by 4 from 3 to 7 - it qualifies.

    No. "Arcane spellcaster level" = "class level in an arcane spellcasting class",
    i.e., wizard and sorcerer. "Caster level" is a different mechanic. You need to
    familiarise yourself with the terms of art at work in this discussion.

    > No where does it say that you MUST BE A 7th LEVEL WIZARD/SORCERER - only
    > that you must have an arcane spell caster level of 7

    That's because Wizards of the Coast words their rules so as to account for
    possibilities other than those which already exist. If you had *another* arcane
    spellcasting class with a familiar, wording it that way would exclude them for
    no reason. It also makes the feat useful with games incorporating entirely
    different classes.

    These patterns are observable across the whole body of Wizards' published
    material. It's not my fault or theirs if you can't perceive them.

    --

    > Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    >> "Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message

    >>>No. Familiars' power is determined by a character's class level in any
    >>>classes that grant the familiar ability - so the only way to get a
    >>>pseudo-dragon familiar with only three levels of wizard would be to have
    >>>four levels of sorcerer (or another class which grants a familiar).
    >>>
    >>>Practiced Spellcaster affects caster level only - checks to overcome
    >>>spell resistance, spell damage dice, et cetera.
    >>>

    >> I don't see how you say it is "no."
    >>
    >> The Imp Fam feat reads as the prerquisite "Arcane spellcaster level -
    >> 7th"
    >
    > The caster level of your spells and your arcane spellcaster level isn't
    > the same thing,

    This is irrelevant. If "caster level" is the prerequisite, Practiced
    Spellcaster (which specifically raises "your caster level for the chosen
    spellcasting class") can help you qualify.

    >> Practiced Spellcaster increases your caster level by 4, which is what is
    >> used in determining the prerequisite. If this raises my caster level of
    >> Wizard (an arcan spell casting class) by 4 from 3 to 7 - it qualifies.
    >>
    >> No where does it say that you MUST BE A 7th LEVEL WIZARD/SORCERER - only
    >> that you must have an arcane spell caster level of 7
    >
    > Practiced Spellcaster does NOT raise your arcane spellcaster level

    If you are asserting that "arcane spellcaster level" means something
    different than "arcane caster level," then you may have a point.

    > it did, you'd also have more spells per day, which you don't. All it does
    > is change the value of spells you class from a given class so they are
    > more effective than your actual class level would dicate.

    No, it raises your Caster Level. There is nothing in the feat to indicate
    any limitations to this. It does not say "your caster level increases by 4,
    but only for purposes X, Y, and Z."

    --

    > Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't see how you say it is "no."
    >
    > Well, let's see.
    >
    >> The Imp Fam feat reads as the prerquisite "Arcane spellcaster level -
    >> 7th"
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >> Practiced Spellcaster increases your caster level by 4, which is what is
    >> used in determining the prerequisite. If this raises my caster level of
    >> Wizard (an arcan spell casting class) by 4 from 3 to 7 - it qualifies.
    >
    > No. "Arcane spellcaster level" = "class level in an arcane spellcasting
    > class", i.e., wizard and sorcerer. "Caster level" is a different mechanic.
    > You need to familiarise yourself with the terms of art at work in this
    > discussion.

    Okay, I can buy that argument (that "arcane spellcaster level" and "caster
    level in an arcane spellcasting class" are two different things). I would
    like to see some clarification on this in one of the books, though.

    --

    Malachias Invictus wrote:
    > "Master Grunthros the Flatulent" <Erich__G@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message

    >>>No. Familiars' power is determined by a character's class level in any
    >>>classes that grant the familiar ability - so the only way to get a
    >>>pseudo-dragon familiar with only three levels of wizard would be to have
    >>>four levels of sorcerer (or another class which grants a familiar).
    >>>
    >>>Practiced Spellcaster affects caster level only - checks to overcome
    >>>spell resistance, spell damage dice, et cetera.
    >>>

    >>I don't see how you say it is "no."
    >>
    >>The Imp Fam feat reads as the prerquisite "Arcane spellcaster level - 7th"
    >>
    >>Practiced Spellcaster increases your caster level by 4, which is what is
    >>used in determining the prerequisite. If this raises my caster level of
    >>Wizard (an arcan spell casting class) by 4 from 3 to 7 - it qualifies.
    >>
    >>No where does it say that you MUST BE A 7th LEVEL WIZARD/SORCERER - only
    >>that you must have an arcane spell caster level of 7
    >

    > As a matter of fact, there is a discussion in Complete Arcane discussing a
    > similar matter, and according to my reading, Practiced Spellcaster *would*
    > fulfill the requirement.

    Your caster level and your arcane spellcaster level aren't the same
    thing. This is discussed
    in Complete Arcane, as you point out. Going by the text on pages 18 and
    72 of said book,
    Practiced Spellcaster would not fulfil the requirement, as "arcane
    spellcaster level" means you
    have the ability to cast the spells associated with that level.
    Practiced Spellcaster never gives
    you access to more or higher level spells, though. Your wizard
    3/(whatever)4 does not have
    access to 4th level spells as a 7th level wizard would have, and that's
    what is required for the
    feat prerequisites. (For sorcerors and bards, subsitute the appropriate
    higher level spell.)

    With magic items, it's less clear because they've inexplicably changed
    the prerequisite from "spellcaster
    level" to "caster level," which in theory means you could meet item
    creation feats via P.S. On the other
    hand, since you have to actually be able to cast the spell in question,
    this limits how useful such a feat
    would otherwise be. A 2nd wizard/4th cleric could thus, using the
    strictest reading of the rules, take
    "Craft Wand" as a 6th level feat, but even then could still not make a
    wand with anything higher than
    1st level wizard or 2nd level cleric spells (depending on where the P.S.
    feat was applied when it was picked).

    This is a change from 3.0, where it was "spellcaster level," not "caster
    level," that determined feat eligibility.
    I think it should still be that way, or else you run into a head when a
    wild mage tries to make certain items.

    Malachias Invictus wrote:
    > "Some Guy" <someguy@thedoor.gov> wrote in message
    >
    >>Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    >>
    >>>The feat states that it increases you caster level by 4.
    >>>
    >>>If you take this feat and Improved familiar, can you get a Pseudo-Dragon
    >>>with only 3 levels of wizard and 4 levels of other classes?
    >>
    >>No, any more than you can claim the ability to take the Craft Wand feat
    >>with 1 level of Wizard and 4 levels of Cleric.
    >

    > Since you have caster level 5 due to the feat (thus meeting the
    > prerequisite), you most certainly can take Craft Wand.

    Are you speaking about wizard 1/cleric 4 with or without "Practiced
    Spellcaster"?

    With, yes you can according to the RAW, though it's of limited utility.

    Without, no you can't, as caster levels in different classes don't stack
    for that purpose.
    This was explicitly spelled out in 3.0, and (to my mind) is probably the
    way it should
    really be in 3.5 as well:

    From the 3.0 FAQ:

    "All the item creation feats have prerequisites of “x
    spellcaster level." Do spellcaster levels from different
    spellcasting classes stack? In other words, is a Wiz4/Sor4 an
    8th-level or 4th-level spellcaster?"

    Spellcasting levels don’t stack; if a prerequisite is x
    spellcaster level you need x levels in a spellcasting class to
    meet the prerequisite."

    Also:

    "Can multiclass spellcasters combine their levels to satisfy
    the level prerequisites for item creation feats? For example,
    the Forge Ring feat requires a spellcaster of level 12+. If I
    am a 6th-level cleric/6th-level wizard do I qualify, or would
    I need to be 12th level in one or the other?"

    "You need to have the listed number of levels in a single
    spellcasting class. In the case of Forge Ring, you need 12 levels
    in a spellcasting class. Note that if you have a prestige class
    that improves the spellcasting ability of another class, you use
    your effective caster level to meet the prerequisite. For
    example, a 10th-level wizard/2nd-level loremaster is a 12thlevel
    spellcaster and meets the prerequisite for Forge Ring."

    In my opinion, this should also be true in 3.5 but apparently they
    changed that
    so warlocks and nixies can make magic items.

    laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > Christopher Adams wrote:
    >
    >>No. "Arcane spellcaster level" = "class level in an arcane spellcasting class",
    >>i.e., wizard and sorcerer.
    >

    > How do you know? It could just as easily be "caster level in an arcane
    > spellcasting class".
    >
    > Laszlo

    This is spelled out in "Complete Arcane," page 72.

    Malachias Invictus wrote:
    > "Some Guy" <someguy@thedoor.gov> wrote in message
    >
    >>Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message

    >>>I don't see how you say it is "no."
    >>>
    >>>The Imp Fam feat reads as the prerquisite "Arcane spellcaster level -
    >>>7th"
    >>
    >>The caster level of your spells and your arcane spellcaster level isn't
    >>the same thing,
    >

    > This is irrelevant. If "caster level" is the prerequisite, Practiced
    > Spellcaster (which specifically raises "your caster level for the chosen
    > spellcasting class") can help you qualify.

    But the prerequisite for Improved Familiar isn't 'caster level,' it's
    "arcane
    spellcaster level," which is defined as the number of levels you have in
    either
    a single class or a single class plus any qualifying prestige class
    levels. Hence,
    you caster level doesn't matter for purposes of that feat.

    > >> Practiced Spellcaster increases your caster level by 4, which is what is
    >
    >>>used in determining the prerequisite. If this raises my caster level of
    >>>Wizard (an arcan spell casting class) by 4 from 3 to 7 - it qualifies.
    >>>
    >>>No where does it say that you MUST BE A 7th LEVEL WIZARD/SORCERER - only
    >>>that you must have an arcane spell caster level of 7
    >>
    >>Practiced Spellcaster does NOT raise your arcane spellcaster level
    >

    > If you are asserting that "arcane spellcaster level" means something
    > different than "arcane caster level," then you may have a point.

    It does. See page 72 of "Complete Arcane" for details.

    >>it did, you'd also have more spells per day, which you don't. All it does
    >>is change the value of spells you class from a given class so they are
    >>more effective than your actual class level would dicate.
    >

    > No, it raises your Caster Level. There is nothing in the feat to indicate
    > any limitations to this. It does not say "your caster level increases by 4,
    > but only for purposes X, Y, and Z."

    It's not your caster level that determines your spells know and spells
    per day,
    it's your spellcaster level. This is covered in "Complete Arcane" and
    also in the
    description of the "Practiced Spellcaster" feat.

    Malachias Invictus wrote:
    > "Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>Master Grunthros the Flatulent wrote:
    >>
    >>>I don't see how you say it is "no."
    >>
    >>Well, let's see.
    >>

    >>>The Imp Fam feat reads as the prerquisite "Arcane spellcaster level -
    >>>7th"
    >>
    >>Yes.
    >>

    >>>Practiced Spellcaster increases your caster level by 4, which is what is
    >>>used in determining the prerequisite. If this raises my caster level of
    >>>Wizard (an arcan spell casting class) by 4 from 3 to 7 - it qualifies.
    >>
    >>No. "Arcane spellcaster level" = "class level in an arcane spellcasting
    >>class", i.e., wizard and sorcerer. "Caster level" is a different mechanic.
    >>You need to familiarise yourself with the terms of art at work in this
    >>discussion.
    >

    > Okay, I can buy that argument (that "arcane spellcaster level" and "caster
    > level in an arcane spellcasting class" are two different things). I would
    > like to see some clarification on this in one of the books, though.

    Complete Arcane, pages 18 and 72 to start. I can probably dig up other