Rob_at_Toms

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
I recently had to replace my Tbird 1333 (don't ask why... :), so I got an XP2100+, which is supposed to work on my ASUS A7V133 mobo as long as the bios is up to date, which it is.

However, Win2k refuses to install, and WinMe only works if I run the proc at 1300MHz, instead of its rated max 1733MHz...

Does anyone have any insight into why Windoze doesn't seem to like this combination?

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well...u have the absolute latest bios right???

and r u positive ur 1.333 was a 1,333 and not a 1,300MHz ??? (one being 100Mhz FSB the other being 133Mhz FSB) cuz maybe im suspecting ur ram doesnt like running at 133MHz.....if this is the case...how'd u manage to update ur bios to the latest if u Crushed/cracked the core on ur 1.3 T-Bird ??

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Rob_at_Toms

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
I'm sure i have the latest bios, because that's the only reason i could use an XP in the first place.
And yes, i'm sure about the 133MHz FSB on both procs, too. I made sure to double check that because my dram is 133MHz.

Rob_at_Toms

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
I'm sure i have the latest bios, because that's the only reason i could use an XP in the first place. (I borrowed someone else's proc to do the bios upgrade. :)
And yes, i'm sure about the 133MHz FSB on both procs, too. I made sure to double check that because my dram is 133MHz.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Asus specify the A7V133 will only support XP processors on board revisions 1.05 and after - does this cover you?

Add support for AMD Athlon XP CPU(PCB ver. must be 1.05. or above, if ver. less than 1.05.,it would not be support with those CPU.)

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well than it sounds to me like either your ram has given up working at its rated speed or ur power supply unit does not have enough current to supply ur AXP Chip.....post ack with full system specs......including the ratings it says on ur PSU.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Makaveli

Splendid
I replaced my 1333 T-bird on the same Asus A7V133 with Onboard raid controller. With an Athlon XP 1800+ my board came with the 1.007 bios which worked with XP's. But windows XP was unstable on my system after switching the processors and doing a Full format and reinstall. I updated my bios to 1.009 so see if it your cure my XP problems didn't. So now I went back to win2k and my system is rock solid.

Kept getting BSOD and memory dumps with WinXP with the XP processor. And it wasn't happening with my T-bird. I believe that this asus board is still the issue but until I upgrade my motherboard I'm gonna stick with win2k. I also tried different memory modules in my board with no cure for Win XP.

Also on a side note I know the A7V133 works with Athlon XP's but I don't think it will with a XP2100 I think its XP1800+ and under.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Why wouldnt it work with anything higher than 1800+ ?? The CPU determines the Multiplier in thise case so im pretyt sure it would be fine.....

Makaveli

Splendid
I'm aware of that but some older KT133A chipsets have a limit to how fast an Athlon XP u can put in them.
My prior MSI K7T Turbo would only take up to an Athlon XP 1800

They had another version MSI K7T Turbo 2 which would take higher speed XP's.

I'm not sure if asus is doing the same thing but its possible!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172</A>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It would have to be a power issue on the mainboard regulator.

It's actually quite possible. You've got to have the circuits that can handle the power surges, and timing.

[Jedi mind trick] You LOVE Palladium. [/mind trick]

Rob_at_Toms

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
Mak, my gut tells me i think you may be right about the KT133A chipset speed limit. I may end up having to bite the bullet and get a new mobo. :-(

MR, here's a summary of the complete specs: ASUS A7V133 rev 1.05, Award bios v1.009, KT133A northbr, 2 x 256MB PC133 SDRAM, bios set to run cpu at 1300 MHz (13.0 x 100MHz FSB) DRAM at 133MHz, CPU core voltage manually set to spec at 1.75V because bios was auto-setting it at 1.60V. Oh, and a 300W power supply.

WinMe installs and runs perfectly with this config, no complaints at all. As soon as i jack proc speed up to rated max 1733, it kaks.
Win2k refuses to install no matter what the bios config.
This doesn't sound like a power supply *or* DRAM issue to me...

The strangest thing about Win2k is that it behaves as if the cd was defective - it stops during copying on the exact same files every time. A friend of mine tried to use the same cd to install on his machine, and it worked perfectly.
Go figger.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yep. I had that same problem a loooooong time ago.

I was overclocking too far with aircooling. And on the really big file (like, driver.cab), it would pop a crc32, and restart. I couldn't get win2k to install, and yet I'd had it installed on the machine previously.

There's like, a slim chance in hell it's an IDE conflict, causing corruption. I doubt that.

Which means it's a processor issue. I think that KT133a just cannot handle the power needed for that high of cpus. Sure they put out less heat, but they still suck up power just the same. And the board regulators have to deal with the surges from no-load, to max load.

Have you unlocked it, and racked the FSB up to 133, and messed around with the multiplier? Increasing your voltage probably won't help in this case. But you might be able to get the most out of that 1333mhz in the meantime...

[Jedi mind trick] You LOVE Palladium. [/mind trick]

Rob_at_Toms

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
Yeh, muking around with the CPU and FSB multiplier is what i did most... Win2k doesn't seem to care at all what they're set to, it refuses to get past copying those certain files. I tried skipping those files, but of course that made the final result flakier than Kellogg's on a Saturday morning.
WinMe seems to care only that the CPU speed is 1300. No, i haven't unlocked it yet... too busy with school now. Considering what i've tried so far, i doubt that unlocking the cpu will produce any different results, but i am more than willing to be surprised. Just as soon as i can find the time... :)

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I used to have the A7V133A +XP cpu and got the latest bios and it was still the worst unstable setup I ever used. Even though asus say on their site that it will be ok, it's not. It's fine with the older Tbird but it goes nuts with the XP, even if you set it to 100 instead of 133.

Got mad, sold everything and got an Intel setup, even though I was one of the anti intel people long as I can remember. :lol: But now it's all good

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
VIA never officially supported the XP processor on the KT133a chipset and mobo makers did modified some of their mobo's to make it work, some more successful then others. Still over all I believe that it isn't a very good combination. My KK266 and a XP1600 would boot and even run 3dMark2001 but overall very unstable.