Password Prompt

I have a Dell Dimension 4550 with Windows XP, SP2. When the
system goes into standby, it requires me to enter a password to get
back on, even though i have never set up a password. Also, under
Power Management, advanced, I have unchecked the box re a password to
resume after system goes into standby. Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks,

Ken

Maybe go into the bios at startup and see if there is a password set up?

"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.cdeviney@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> Maybe go into the bios at startup and see if there is a password set up?
>
> "Ken G" <cagey91NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell Dimension 4550 with Windows XP, SP2. When the
> > system goes into standby, it requires me to enter a password to get
> > back on, even though i have never set up a password. Also, under
> > Power Management, advanced, I have unchecked the box re a password to
> > resume after system goes into standby. Anybody else have this issue?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ken

Make sure that the screensaver does not have the password checkbox checked.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:39:51 -0600, "NuTCrAcKeR"
<nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:

>"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.cdeviney@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
>> Maybe go into the bios at startup and see if there is a password set up?
>>
>> "Ken G" <cagey91NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a Dell Dimension 4550 with Windows XP, SP2. When the
>> > system goes into standby, it requires me to enter a password to get
>> > back on, even though i have never set up a password. Also, under
>> > Power Management, advanced, I have unchecked the box re a password to
>> > resume after system goes into standby. Anybody else have this issue?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Ken
>

>Make sure that the screensaver does not have the password checkbox checked.

No dice. In bios, passaword is not enabled, and the password box
under power management for the screensaver is not checked. Perhaps I
have run into another undocumented "feature" of SP 2?

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:39:51 -0600, "NuTCrAcKeR"
> <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:
>

> >"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.cdeviney@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> >> Maybe go into the bios at startup and see if there is a password set
up?

> >> "Ken G" <cagey91NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >Make sure that the screensaver does not have the password checkbox
checked.

> No dice. In bios, passaword is not enabled, and the password box
> under power management for the screensaver is not checked. Perhaps I
> have run into another undocumented "feature" of SP 2?

right click the desktop>properties>screensaver

is there a check in the box for password there?

- NuTs

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:01:24 -0600, "NuTCrAcKeR"
<nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:

>"Ken G" <cagey91NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:39:51 -0600, "NuTCrAcKeR"
>> <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:
>>

>> >"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.cdeviney@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
>up?

>> >Make sure that the screensaver does not have the password checkbox
>checked.
>> >
>> No dice. In bios, passaword is not enabled, and the password box
>> under power management for the screensaver is not checked. Perhaps I
>> have run into another undocumented "feature" of SP 2?
>
>right click the desktop>properties>screensaver
>
>is there a check in the box for password there?
>
>- NuTs
Under the "power" option for the screensaver, and then advanced, the
box for the password is unchecked. As far as I know, there is no
other "password" option. Mystifying.>

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:01:24 -0600, "NuTCrAcKeR"
> <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:
>

> >"Ken G" <cagey91NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >up?

> >checked.
> >> >
> >> No dice. In bios, passaword is not enabled, and the password box
> >> under power management for the screensaver is not checked. Perhaps I
> >> have run into another undocumented "feature" of SP 2?
> >
> >right click the desktop>properties>screensaver
> >
> >is there a check in the box for password there?
> >
> >- NuTs
> Under the "power" option for the screensaver, and then advanced, the
> box for the password is unchecked. As far as I know, there is no
> other "password" option. Mystifying.>

That isnt what I said.

Dispaly Properties, ScreenSave, and check the "on resume, password protect"
check box. Is it checked? It may depend on the screen saver you have. I have
the default XP screensaver, and the checkbox is there.

You may need to look at your local policy for your machine. It may be an
uber-security feature that this setting is required based on the policy for
the machine. Not sure, but its a thought.

- NuTs

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:43:04 -0600, "NuTCrAcKeR"
<nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:

>"Ken G" <cagey91NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:01:24 -0600, "NuTCrAcKeR"
>> <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:
>>

>> >"Ken G" <cagey91NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> >up?

>get
>issue?

>> >checked.

>> >right click the desktop>properties>screensaver
>> >
>> >is there a check in the box for password there?
>> >
>> >- NuTs
>> Under the "power" option for the screensaver, and then advanced, the
>> box for the password is unchecked. As far as I know, there is no
>> other "password" option. Mystifying.>
>>

>That isnt what I said.
>
>Dispaly Properties, ScreenSave, and check the "on resume, password protect"
>check box. Is it checked? It may depend on the screen saver you have. I have
>the default XP screensaver, and the checkbox is there.
>
>You may need to look at your local policy for your machine. It may be an
>uber-security feature that this setting is required based on the policy for
>the machine. Not sure, but its a thought.
>
>- NuTs

The only box I have (and I use the windows xp default screensave also)
is "on resume, dsiplay welcome screen." The box ix checked, but it
says nothing about a password.

Uncheck it. That's the screen you're seeing.

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:43:04 -0600, "NuTCrAcKeR"
> <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:
>

>>"Ken G" <cagey91NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>get
>>issue?

>>> Under the "power" option for the screensaver, and then advanced, the
>>> box for the password is unchecked. As far as I know, there is no
>>> other "password" option. Mystifying.>
>>>

>>That isnt what I said.
>>
>>Dispaly Properties, ScreenSave, and check the "on resume, password
>>protect"
>>check box. Is it checked? It may depend on the screen saver you have. I
>>have
>>the default XP screensaver, and the checkbox is there.
>>
>>You may need to look at your local policy for your machine. It may be an
>>uber-security feature that this setting is required based on the policy
>>for
>>the machine. Not sure, but its a thought.
>>
>>- NuTs
>>
> The only box I have (and I use the windows xp default screensave also)
> is "on resume, dsiplay welcome screen." The box ix checked, but it
> says nothing about a password.

Control Panel/Users...there must have been a password set up there.

TRENDING THREADS