Sign in with
Your question

Win xp and Win7

Last response: in Windows 7
June 4, 2010 2:29:08 AM

I have Windows 7 premium. It is not preinstalled. I would like to put win xp on another partition. Is there anything special I need to do to accomplish this? Can I install XP now, or do I need to remove win 7 first? Any help is appreciated.

More about : win win7

a b $ Windows 7
June 4, 2010 3:11:16 AM

The easiest way to dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7 is to install Windows XP first, then Install Windows 7. If you install them the other way around it can be tricky to fix the boot loader.
m
l
Related resources
June 5, 2010 6:15:36 PM

pjmelect said:
The easiest way to dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7 is to install Windows XP first, then Install Windows 7. If you install them the other way around it can be tricky to fix the boot loader.

If I do this, is there anything special I have to do during or after installation?
m
l
June 5, 2010 8:28:08 PM

rugman, take a look at the tutorial area51 recommended above. It explains everything
m
l
a c 418 $ Windows 7
June 5, 2010 10:17:38 PM

Rugman i have used it twice it works perfect!
m
l
June 5, 2010 11:51:19 PM

I did, and the tutorial is clear to a point. I am going to start from scratch, so nothing will be on the hard disk. I guess I will install xp first, creating 2 partitions while doing it, and from there I am not to sure where to go. Do I just install win 7 by putting the disk in and installing it on the second partition? How about during startup, how will I know which one will boot?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 6, 2010 12:33:06 AM

After you have installed Windows XP, install Windows 7 on the 2nd partition. During the install it will boot to the Windows 7 partition but when it has finished the install when you boot up the computer it will give you a boot menu which will enable you to select which operating system you wish to boot from.
m
l
!