Dual or single AMD processor ?

tgorski

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
Just wondering what would be best for a video editing PC.
Either a Dual AMD MP 2200 or a single AMD XP 2800

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Dual MPs would be overkill. 2800+ won't be available for quite a while.

Get the following:

Inte 2.4B (533MHz FSB) processor ($185 at newEgg.com)
Albatron PX845PEV PRO motherboard ($95 at newEgg.com)
(2) Mushkin 256MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM memory modules ($96x2=$192 at newEgg.com)

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
If you want AMD, go dual for video - $/performance though, Intel will probably do you better. If you really want dual AMD though, wait until the newer .13u revisions of the MP are available as the current ones are very hot...

All the memory bandwidth you can get is great - video editing might be the last reason why RDRAM could be justified in a workstation.

I use a dual AMD for my video and at the time the price point was great - today it favours Intel in the FPS/$ equasion.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Depends on how must serious editing you plan on doing? If it is serious, go with the dual system. A single P4 2.4 with 512 megs of ram, will not be able to handle as much as a dual 2200+ Athlon system.........

Ask yourself some questions, how serious of editing will I do.........how much do I want to spend...and time is money in doing these edits......

less time....:)

MeldarthX

you get the picture

billd222

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
Definitley go with the dual. If you are serious about Video editing then you will need every bit of multi-threaded processing power. Most if not all Adobe programs take advantage of dual processors. If you are using premiere than do the dual. Have you ever tried to render out a file on a single processor machine? TAKES FOREVER
DUal processing will cut down rendering and preview times dramatically.

-Bill D.

Bill D.