Last response: in CPUs
October 15, 2002 10:54:01 PM

Has any tried this adapter?
According to http://www.upgradeware.com/
My MoBo is compatible
Tyan Trinity 400 S1854 / 600eMhz PIII
Via Apollo Pro133A Chipset
320M PC100 SDRAM

ANY IDEAS?????? Or am I just dreaming :) 
a c 80 à CPUs
October 16, 2002 2:53:23 AM

It is listed as compatible, but my concerns, since I also have a Trinity 400, are that the M/B only goes up to an 8 multiplier, which is 8 x 133Mhz FSB = 1064Mhz processor speed, now you can overclock the FSB in the CMOS setup, but they're not incremental, its like 138,140,150, above 133, running 133Mhz RAM you may get it to 140, but with the limited options for overclocking with that M/B probably no higher. Because of the M/Bs multiplier limitations its just not worth paying the extra money for a Tualatin processor, if you can't fully use its capabilities. Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2002 3:13:02 AM

Yes, it should work just fine. If you want to go cheap, I would recommend AGAINST the Celeron 1400 and FOR and overclocked Tualatin Celeron 1000. This is because the 100MHz bus is the greatest performance deficit of the Celeron, but the Tualatin 1000 version should reach at least 133MHz FSB/1333MHz.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2002 3:19:13 AM

DAMN YOU!!! I'M TIRED OF TELLING PEOPLE THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A MAX MULTIPLIER WHERE THE PII/PIII/CELERON A/TUALATIN ARE CONCERNED!!!!

If I've said it once I've said it at least a thousand times (seriously), the multiplier lock of the PIII (and similar Intel processors) works...no matter the board. If a CPU has a 10x multiplier, it will run at 10x the bus speed regardless of the "max ADJUSTABLE" ratio. You see, it can't run at a lower multiplier, it will force that multiplier regardless of what BIOS thinks. BIOS can't force it's multiplier either, if you set it at 3.5x it will still run at 10x. This is NOT a problem and is NEVER a problem.

At least not directly. Asus P2B boards are the exception where BIOS would lock if a mutliplier higher than 10x was forced by the CPU. There is a beta BIOS that takes care of that issue, it's on my website. It's the ONLY board I know of with this problem.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
a c 80 à CPUs
October 16, 2002 3:26:45 AM

Well that makes sense and is perfectly logical, but to my knowledge you've never told me that before, and I surely don't like the way you did it.Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2002 4:20:43 AM

Sorry, I repeated this so many times I thought it was common knowledge in here. Maybe you never read those post. Let me make sure it's in the motherboard FAQ.

October 16, 2002 1:45:17 PM

Quote:
Has any tried this adapter?

Just got mine last night and it works. :)  I'm running a Pentium III-S 1.26 GHz on an Abit BX133. Nice and quick compared to my old P3-850! I tried the Powerleap adapter and it worked fine for a few days then died. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with this Upgradeware one.

The supplied heatsink is smaller than the stock Intel one and doesn't have any thermal paste on it. The clip has been modified for the additional height of the adapter. I didn't have any paste handy but I installed it anyway and my temps are about 35°C idle and 45°C under load. I tried overclocking from the stock 133 FSB but if I go above 140 I get instability. It's not the CPU because it stays cool and I tried raising the voltage a bit from the stock 1.45v, but no dice. I'm pretty sure it's my memory holding me back (Crucial CL2), but it's possible that the adapter somehow doesn't like overclocking.

Ritesh
October 16, 2002 11:02:53 PM

Thanks for the info Crashman.
I'm gonna try it. I'll let ya guys know the results.
BTW I always look in previous threads for answers.
Thanks to all for replying.
October 17, 2002 3:21:19 AM

Crashman - would it make a difference if i use
a P3 Tualatin S with 512k Cache / Or a regular
Tualatin with 256k Cache?????
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2002 3:25:44 AM

Yes, you should expect at least a 5% gain in performance from the 512k version.

October 17, 2002 4:00:25 PM

Quote:
would it make a difference if i use
a P3 Tualatin S with 512k Cache / Or a regular
Tualatin with 256k Cache?????

Well it depends on the app. THG did a <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010919/index.html" target="_new"><font color=green>review</font color=green></A> last year where they compared an unlocked Tualatin-S underclocked to 1 GHz with a Coppermine at 1 GHz, both CPUs at 133 FSB. Although some of the IPC improvement is due to data prefetch logic, the 512K cache of the Tually-S is the bulk of the improvement:

Quake 3 640x480: 13% faster
Unreal Tournament 640x480: 10%
Aquamark 640x480: 12%
Sysmark 2000: 9%
Cinema 4D: 3%
3D Mark 2000: 9%
3D Mark 2001: 8%
FlaskMPEG: 24% (!)

Data prefetch on average gives perhaps a 2% improvement, so as you can see the additional 256K cache can make a very significant improvement when comparing a Tually-S to a regular Tually.

Ritesh

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ritesh_laud on 10/17/02 11:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!