corymcnutt

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2002
I just built my first computer and it actually WORKED! I am using a Shuttle MB AS45GTR (SIS 648/963) and a P4 2.53 processor. When I boot up it tells me speed is at 100 mhz and if I go into My Computer (XP) and check my System stuff it tells me I have a P4 2.53 running at 1.97??? Am I doing something wrong? What can I do to change this. I think it should be at 133 mhz, not 100. I went into BIOS screens and changed that (values from 100-166 were acceptable) to 133 but then it would not finish booting until I changed it back. Please help! Thank you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There should be an "auto" setting which should set your bus speed to 133MHz (because Intel CPU's have detection pins for bus speed), set the memory to the right multiplier, and set the PCI/AGP to the right divider. These are settings that would otherwise take a while to explain, so look for the "auto" setting.

Some motherboards used to have jumper settings for "auto, 100, 133". Some AMD boards still do. I doubt any P4's have those jumpers, the Auto settings should be in BIOS.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

corymcnutt

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2002
Thanks, but I went back and looked and I see no "Auto Detect" setting. The 100 MHz is called the "Core Speed" on my BIOS screen...is this the same thing as "Bus Speed"? The core speed is adjustable from 100-166..I had tried 133 when it locked up. Is 133 the correct setting for a P4 2.53? Maybe the lock-up was a fluke and I should try it again...what do you think? Thanks again.

Cory

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, 133 is the proper speed. You also should have your AGP divider at 1/2, your PCI at 1/4, and your memory at the apropriate mutliplier for it's rated speed.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

corymcnutt

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2002
Thanks guy...I found out the problem from Shuttle. They had a BIOS patch for the XP locking up when you changed the speed in BIOS to 133. After I downloaded and ran the patch (in DOS), I changed the setting to 133 and now I am at 2.534 and 533 FSB! Thanks for your help...who knew it was a MB BIOS problem!

Cory