3.8GHZ?

Any word on when dell will have this available?

TIA
13 answers Last reply
More about 8ghz

    Now and only in the XPS Gen 4 system

    "WSZsr" schrieb:

    > Now and only in the XPS Gen 4 system

    I hope the XPS Gen 3 can sometimes updated to a 3.8 or 4 GHz Pentium.
    When I get my XPS Gen 3, the CPU capabilities for the motherboard
    reported by SiSoft Sandra was 3.6 GHz. After the new bios update
    SiSoft Sandra suddenly reports a capability of 4.0 GHz CPU for the
    board :-)

    Regards,
    Manuel

    "Manuel Fischer" <manuelfischer@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "WSZsr" schrieb:
    >
    >> Now and only in the XPS Gen 4 system
    >
    > I hope the XPS Gen 3 can sometimes updated to a 3.8 or 4 GHz Pentium.
    > When I get my XPS Gen 3, the CPU capabilities for the motherboard
    > reported by SiSoft Sandra was 3.6 GHz. After the new bios update
    > SiSoft Sandra suddenly reports a capability of 4.0 GHz CPU for the
    > board :-)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Manuel

    Except Intel announced they have stopped design on the 4Ghz and won't ever
    release it. They have shifted to dual core development.

    Gen 4?? Anyone have a link? I dont see that on their site.

    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=19&kc=11111&oc=dxps4sap&x=0&y=0

    "Tom Scales" schrieb:

    > "Manuel Fischer" <manuelfischer@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > > "WSZsr" schrieb:
    > >
    > >> Now and only in the XPS Gen 4 system
    > >
    > > I hope the XPS Gen 3 can sometimes updated to a 3.8 or 4 GHz Pentium.
    > > When I get my XPS Gen 3, the CPU capabilities for the motherboard
    > > reported by SiSoft Sandra was 3.6 GHz. After the new bios update
    > > SiSoft Sandra suddenly reports a capability of 4.0 GHz CPU for the
    > > board :-)
    >
    > Except Intel announced they have stopped design on the 4Ghz and won't ever
    > release it. They have shifted to dual core development.

    Intel would never develop a P _4_ with 4 GHz. The actual used cpu core
    has to many problems regarding the high frequency.

    Intel does not say they never release a 4 GHz cpu (called Pentium
    or whatever). And the new 3.8 GHz cpu with lower power consumption
    together with the NX feature has a fsb of 800 MHz, it would fit
    perfectly in an XPS Gen 3, if the board supports the higher frequency
    as reported.

    > "Tom Scales" schrieb:
    >
    >> "Manuel Fischer" <manuelfischer@gmx.net> wrote in message

    >> > I hope the XPS Gen 3 can sometimes updated to a 3.8 or 4 GHz Pentium.
    >> > When I get my XPS Gen 3, the CPU capabilities for the motherboard
    >> > reported by SiSoft Sandra was 3.6 GHz. After the new bios update
    >> > SiSoft Sandra suddenly reports a capability of 4.0 GHz CPU for the
    >> > board :-)
    >>
    >> Except Intel announced they have stopped design on the 4Ghz and won't
    >> ever
    >> release it. They have shifted to dual core development.
    >
    > Intel would never develop a P _4_ with 4 GHz. The actual used cpu core
    > has to many problems regarding the high frequency.
    >
    > Intel does not say they never release a 4 GHz cpu (called Pentium
    > or whatever). And the new 3.8 GHz cpu with lower power consumption
    > together with the NX feature has a fsb of 800 MHz, it would fit
    > perfectly in an XPS Gen 3, if the board supports the higher frequency
    > as reported.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Manuel

    I believe that a P4-4Ghz was clearly implied.

    Intel canceled the 4Ghz P4, 3.8Ghz is the fastes you will be able to get.

    "Manuel Fischer" <manuelfischer@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "WSZsr" schrieb:
    >
    >> Now and only in the XPS Gen 4 system
    >
    > I hope the XPS Gen 3 can sometimes updated to a 3.8 or 4 GHz Pentium.
    > When I get my XPS Gen 3, the CPU capabilities for the motherboard
    > reported by SiSoft Sandra was 3.6 GHz. After the new bios update
    > SiSoft Sandra suddenly reports a capability of 4.0 GHz CPU for the
    > board :-)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Manuel

    Hmm,
    Curiousity here, is SiSoft Sandra reporting that you can upgrade to
    the 4.0 Ghz CPU (which was canceled by Intel) or is it reporting your
    3.6 as a 4.0?

    I looked at SiSoft Sandra it looks like a network/admin monitoring
    tool... what are you using it for? Their web site is not very
    helpful...

    "Tweek" schrieb:

    > Intel canceled the 4Ghz P4, 3.8Ghz is the fastes you will be able to get.

    Yes, I know (as you see in my following posts if you read it).

    Intel cancelled the Pentium _4_ with 4 GHz. Intel does not cancel
    any other Pentium generation which will go over 4 GHz. And if this
    CPU (however it is called) has a 775 connection, it will fit in the
    XPS Gen 3.

    Regards,
    Manuel

    I believe they have already announced the dual core chips will have
    different pinouts.

    You're being ridiculous. You KNOW what this conversation is about.

    PeterD schrieb:

    > Curiousity here, is SiSoft Sandra reporting that you can upgrade to
    > the 4.0 Ghz CPU (which was canceled by Intel)

    Yes.

    Before the last bios update Sandra reported I can go up to 3.6 GHz
    and after the last bios update A03 it reported I can go up to 4 GHz.

    > or is it reporting your 3.6 as a 4.0?

    No. My 3.2 GHz cpu is correctly identified.

    > I looked at SiSoft Sandra it looks like a network/admin monitoring
    > tool... what are you using it for? Their web site is not very
    > helpful...

    Benchmarking and many information about the complete system.

    Regards,
    Manuel

    Except that it is unlikely any future generation cpu will be pin compatible
    with LGA775. It will probably have a faster FSB than your board supports.
    Socket 423 didn't last very long. We don't even know if the 915/925 chipsets
    will be compatible with dual core processors. Basically what intel has
    announced is that they are going to increase performance by increasing
    on-die cache and by developing dual core processors. It seems that they have
    finally come to realize that Ghz isn't everything. They had to increase the
    number of stages in the pipeline of the Prescott core to ramp up the clock
    speed. The result was a cpu that clock for clock is slower than a Northwood
    core, even though the Prescott has twice the L2 cache. Also the 3.8Ghz P4
    has a 1200Mhz clock speed advantage over the Athlon 64 4000+, yet in almost
    every benchmark the A64 is faster. I think Intel has realized that IPC is
    more important than Ghz. They got it right with the Pentium M. That is a
    sweet processor with high IPC. I wish they would make a desktop version.

    "Manuel Fischer" <manuelfischer@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "Tweek" schrieb:
    >
    >> Intel canceled the 4Ghz P4, 3.8Ghz is the fastes you will be able to get.
    >
    > Yes, I know (as you see in my following posts if you read it).
    >
    > Intel cancelled the Pentium _4_ with 4 GHz. Intel does not cancel
    > any other Pentium generation which will go over 4 GHz. And if this
    > CPU (however it is called) has a 775 connection, it will fit in the
    > XPS Gen 3.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Manuel

Dell Computers