Syncing Tungsten C (TC) to laptop directly via wireless

a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 2, 2005 11:35:17 PM

I have both a Tungsten C and a laptop with built-in wireless. I'll be
traveling in parts of Europe where there aren't wireless networks, but
want to sync the two (to transfer files). I know I can carry the USB
cradle and (110V only) heavy power brick, but it seems as though a
cleaner solution would be to sync via the wireless network and buy a
lighter 220/110 power supply. I suspect, though, that it's not going
to be possible to have the TC talk directly to my laptop by wireless
without an intervening router.

Am I wrong? Should the TC and my laptop talk directly if I have
HotSync on the laptop? If so, could you point me to instructions on
how to set this up.

Are there better solutions that I'm not thinking of?

Many thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 3, 2005 6:56:05 AM

In article <1117766117.433955.258530@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
AEngineerDU@gmail.com wrote:

> I have both a Tungsten C and a laptop with built-in wireless....
> I suspect, though, that it's not going
> to be possible to have the TC talk directly to my laptop by wireless
> without an intervening router.
>
> Am I wrong? Should the TC and my laptop talk directly if I have
> HotSync on the laptop? If so, could you point me to instructions on
> how to set this up.

What OS do you run on your laptop? It ought to be possible to make it act
as a wireless access point itself. (Or in "ad hoc" mode, if the TC
supports that as a connection method.)

> Are there better solutions that I'm not thinking of?

A relatively small and light USB sync *cable* should let you HotSync and
charge your handheld without requiring a separate power supply at all.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 3, 2005 2:40:55 PM

Hi there,

I think the best solution is to buy a small HotSync and charging USB
cable.

I just the BoxWave Minisync (http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisync/)
with my Tungsten | C, and it works really well.

There are many other products that are essentially the same (some may
even be repackaged OEM versions that are exactly the same!) For
example:

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=570&t_mod...

Just one word of warning: As much as I love Zip-Linq (and use about six
of their different cables all the time) avoid their Tungsten
"Sync-N-Charge" cable
(http://www.ziplinq.com/retractable-cable-pda-palm.html) The connector
on the cable does not physically mate properly with the connector on
the Tungsten (at least on the sample of the cable I have!) while the
connector on the BoxWave Minisync mates perfectly every time.

Also, apparently this cable from Proporta has the nice feature of
having a HotSync button right on the cable, although it's not in that
nice, collapsible format like some of the other cables:

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=216&t_mod...

Other companies also make USB to AC adapters with which you can charge
the Palm without plugging into a USB port on a computer. iCube
(http://icube.us/) used to sell the smallest version of these I'd seen
on the US market, but it doesn't appear on their website any more ---
it supported 500 mA. You could try e-mailing them to see if they still
carry it, although other companies make similar, if slightly bulkier
models that support 1A:

http://www.ziplinq.com/retractable-cable-pwr.html
http://store.craytonelectronics.com/usbtoacadch.html

Since you have to carry a charger on a trip anyway, it makes sense to
me to integrate the charger and the sync cable. I also often find it
more convenient to plug the Palm into my computer to recharge, as it
cuts down on the number out outlets I need to use. The USB to AC
adapter is not really necessary, but I bought it so I can charge my
device when I don't happen to bring my computer along as well.

Best of luck,

--Sam Lipoff
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 4, 2005 7:55:44 PM

AEngineerDU@gmail.com wrote:
> I have both a Tungsten C and a laptop with built-in wireless. I'll be
> traveling in parts of Europe where there aren't wireless networks, but
> want to sync the two (to transfer files). I know I can carry the USB
> cradle and (110V only) heavy power brick, but it seems as though a
> cleaner solution would be to sync via the wireless network and buy a
> lighter 220/110 power supply. I suspect, though, that it's not going
> to be possible to have the TC talk directly to my laptop by wireless
> without an intervening router.
>
> Am I wrong? Should the TC and my laptop talk directly if I have
> HotSync on the laptop? If so, could you point me to instructions on
> how to set this up.
>
> Are there better solutions that I'm not thinking of?
>
> Many thanks

I use to sync my T|C with my Linux box via wireless. With WindowsXP have
you enabled network sync in the HotSync Manager? With that enabled go to
your T|C and do a network sync but first you will have to search for
computers on the network. The T|C will search and list all of the ones
found. Select the one you want and then hit the sync icon.

--
http://www.texbiker.net -- Texas Bicycling Information Central.

a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 10, 2005 9:12:35 PM

I had purchased a ziplinq device before reading this. Fortunately I
can report that it works very well with my Tungsten-C. I have none of
the mating problems reported above.

Jim Mitchell
!