Wireless problem with MN-500

I need help with getting wireless working with MN-500.
For a few months now I have a couple of PCs networking
great with a MN-500 router, both access internet fine.
Just got a laptop equipped with both RJ45 and wireless
running XP SP2.
- First I installed the MSBN utility, got the
compatibility issue, uninstalled SP2, s/w installed ok.
- Use a CAT-5 to connect it to a spare port on the MN-
500, works great, accessing the network and internet no
problem.
- Setup the MN-500 for wireless with WEP. Enabled the
wireless, Windows discovered the network, enter the key
and connected. Opened browser, no internet! Opened MSBN
utility, no network! and the IP address is complete
different.
- Checked "View Network Connection", Windows showed it as
a good connection???
- Disconnect, reboot, tried again, no luck.
- Disabled wireless, plugged the wire back on, worked
great.
- Unplugged the wire and enable wireless, not working
again.
- Disabled wireless, plugged the wire back on, worked
again, I then went to command line and ran
IPCONFIG/RELEASE.
- Unplugged the wire, enabled the wireless, Windows
showed good connection, MSNB show no connection, IP
address remained 0.0.0.0 (also tried to run
IPCONFIG/RENEW but session hung)

I read some articles that talked about MAC clone, but
wouldn't it affect the 2 PCs that are still connected and
working fine?

I tried entering (an unused) static IP address, Windows
showed good connection, MSNB showed not connected.

Not sure what else to try, please help if you can. Thanks
in advance for any recommendations.
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless problem

    Hmmmmmm. Not sure if this will help you or not but I just
    went through the whole MN-500 router and MN-510 USB thing
    over the past week. Was getting nowhere each time I went
    about setting it up and getting a connection through the
    USB side. Main (new) computer and base station and cable
    modem all worked flawlessly, it was just that crazy USB
    adapter that refused to connect, even though it would
    show an excellent signal strength most of the time.

    Anyway, to be sure the adapter wasn't faulty I took my
    notebook over to the parents house (was their two
    computers being networked wirelessly) which has wireless
    built-in. Connected okay. Disabled the built-in, attached
    the MN-510, let Windows ask for the CD, installed it.
    Worked fine.

    Back into the next room to try a Windows XP clean install
    since that was going to be done eventually anyway. Had
    SP2 on it before, too, when it encountered that same
    incompatible message you (and others) had. I probably
    uninstalled and reinstalled the MN-510 eight times before
    giving up, along with all networking and USB hardware
    drivers too. It was still not connecting after an hour to
    get XP setup on a reformated disk!

    Now get this... my mother comes into the room to check on
    progress and she says "Maybe if it were closer to the
    base station it would connect?". I had already moved the
    thing around some, and with them only 20 feet apart I
    figured it might be interference from a basement full of
    fluorescent lights not distance anyway. So she pulls it
    as far as it will stretch, a mere two feet farther than
    before and set onto the other end of the desk.

    Amazingly it saw the MSHOME (used all defaults in an
    effort to prevent confusion) network and almost
    connected. We moved the base station to the end of her
    desk too (fathers is the other computer). Retrying to
    connect a few times and it finally did. I couldn't
    believe it. The things are supposed to connect at up to
    300 feet in open spaces and what we eventually figured
    out from all this is that the initial connection must be
    extremely accurate and well-defined or else it fails.
    Once we had it going it had a 2 Mbps speed that dropped
    down to only 1 Mbps soon afterward. We actually taped
    down both the MN-500 and 510 to the desks so they would
    stay in position. Later I noticed the connection speed
    was up to 5.5 Mbps.

    Really goes to show this brand/model wireless device is
    finicky beyond compare. Since beginning to work on it I
    have read several messages from other people about lots
    of connection troubles with the MN 5** and 7** units. I
    never had a problem with the DELL Truemobile 1184 and
    1180 wireless router and USB adapter I use with my
    notebook and desktop and cable modem, although I did do a
    release and renewel of IP at first so it would get to
    internet.

    Maybe you'd have to have been there when my Mom moved
    that MN-510 across the desk and is started to connect.
    You can literally almost see the MN-500 just 20 feet away
    from where it had been all along. Maybe a bad antenna?
    But then why the strong signal most times, other times no
    signal or no wirleless network? Something very glitchy
    about it, if you ask me.

    Hope no one got too bored reading all this.

    Best of luck to you all.

    Thanks for your suggestion, but I didn't have any problem
    with the signal strength, I was configuring the laptop in
    the same room as the base station, Windows shows
    connectivity at full strength. I guess the problem is a
    setup problem because the laptop can see and connect to
    the hardware itself, just couldn't connect to the
    network. The IP address on the laptop is either
    169.xxx.xxx.xxx or 0.0.0.0, couldn't get a 192.168.2.x
    assigned.
    Tried static IP, MSNB recognized the static IP but still
    didn't connect it to the network.
    Works great with the cable, the only problem is I want to
    use the laptop elsewhere in the house.

    Any other suggestions?

    Actually, that was my point about it. I also had perfct
    signal strength and the wireless network and workgroup
    (MSHOME default) was being found fine.

    What seemed to be happening was that the initial
    connection info (IP configuration and such) was not
    getting through, for whatever mysterious reason, enough
    to keep complete contact.

    I know it couldn't have been a software issue since I had
    done everything imaginable (for me and tech support),
    including starting with a fresh install of XP.

    Plain and simple, my mother moved the USB adapter across
    the desk by no more than two feet away from where it had
    been and the connection was getting locked on.

    I don't know if it could be hardware trouble or not.
    Something like a faulty circuit or antenna that fixed
    itself during the movement, or if it just had to be an
    absolutely perfect signal without any flaws. Meaning,
    perhaps even a healthy signal might mean it still
    fawlters briefly and so messes up the configuration info.

    What was really confsuing about this is that I saw boxes
    and gibberish in the tooltip popup over the connection
    icon in the system tray by the clock, at first, before it
    finally showed a correct message there.

    All I know is that it works now and no software changes
    were responsible. If it had been software (drivers and
    all) I would have seen a fix during all my earlier
    attempts instead of it magically appearing to work okay
    with the same old normal install.

    I should note here that I did get through the firmware
    updates for both the MN-500 and MN-510 when I started out
    on all this MS broadband wireless network installation.
    Presume those were fine, now that it does work right
    still today. Talked to my Mom on the phone minutes ago,
    in fact, and she was pulling old files she wants to keep
    on new computer from her old one, which is my Dad's now.

    I just want to make it clear that something about having
    a perfect signal (beyond what you see in message and icon
    form) might be a crucial point in these things.

    Bob (and still anonymous!)

    The signal wasn't the problem, WEP was.
    Disabling WEP allowed connection. But now my wireless is
    vulnerable to ousiders.
    Would enabling MAC filtering by entering MAC from my
    laptop only prevent intruder?

Routers Wireless Connection Networking