Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPExodus

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Im getting a new laptop and i cant decide whether or not to get a laptop from origin pcs that is $2,360 or to get the MSI GT780dxr-099US for $1900. I want a laptop that i can game with, it doesnt need to be at the very highest settings but i do want it to last for at least 3 or 4 years and not become totally obsolete (like having to use the lowest settings and barely manage it). Is it worth it to buy the better Origin or just get the MSI or could i spend even less and still have a decent laptop that will last? Here are the specs:

MSI:$1900
processor: i7-2760QM, 2.4-3.5GHz
video card: 1.5 gb geforce gtx 570m
ram:16gb at 1333 mhz
hard drive: 1.5 tb at 7200 rpm

origin:$2360
processor:i7-2760qm 2.4-3.5 ghz
video card:2 gb radeon 6990m
ram:16 gb at 1600 mhz
hard drive:1 tb at 7200 rpm

So basically is it worth it in the long run to get the more expensive, powerful laptop and if not are there any other laptops that are good that you know of? Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
laptops are things that run into obsolete territory faster than a desktop does - since you can't easily swap out the GPU...proc without doing something or the otehr to the mobo - which means the whole darn thing. If you know you'll be running all that power from the get-go and will be doing so until it dies out than get the origin lappy otherwise i can't see you go wrong with the MSI

From what you posted the two look almost the same with the only differences being the video card and the ram , so for $460 it seems like the MSI is the better deal and further on down the road you can upgrade both the video card and the ram easily if you wanted to and to be honest I can only see you upgrading the video card because the ram being 16gb and only one step up I don't see you changing it.

hi,
origins seems quite a bit overpriced for marginal gain. Both GPUs are high end gaming cards, so both will be as future proof. I think you should go with MSI because origin is typically overpriced by $200 since they rebrand a sager model (check out same sager on xoticpc, with same config it should come out cheaper)

The only thing I have to point out, MSI is a more flashy laptop with glowy lights, while clevo case origin uses is more on a conservative side although there are options for backlit keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.