Celeron 2GHz vs. Athlon XP 1600+

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
With the release of the 2GHz Celeron, overclocking to 3GHz provides the performance of a 2.2Ghz P4. The question is, would you get a 2Ghz Celeron over a 1600+ Athlon XP? The AXP can overclock to 1.8Ghz or 1.9GHz with good cooling. The Celeron can be overclocked to 3GHz with the stock cooling. Which would you rather get?

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I think either would be good, but you might have a little better upgrade path with the cely depending on the mobo.

<font color=blue>Unofficial Forum Cop</font color=blue>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Definently the AXP......id never by a Wilty derivative CPU.........

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

eden

Champion
The XP1600 even rapes the 3GHZ in Commanche 4, proving futur games would suck on Celeron P4s, so even the 3GHZ, which is 1GHZ above the current one, has a hard time trying to catch up. Strange it took about 1GHZ to match a 200MHZ jump over to the 2.2GHZ P4.
Plus even if it does win in some areas, the rest SUCKS, I could not live with that. An AthlonMP 1600 would cost less, and would be much better.

--
What made you choose your THG Community username/nickname? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19957#19957" target="_new">Tell here!</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, the P4 1.8A is cheap enough, either one of those would be too slow for me to consider it an adequate upgrade to the parts I already have. Even the 1.8A would fail to meet my expectations for an upgrade, at stock speed. I'd have to overclock it.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Get a P4 2.4B. It's $190 or less at googlegear.com now and pairing it with a 845PE or something would ensure that you have some upgrade room.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ok, the Celeron 2GHz can be had for $99US. What processor do you think it competes with. This isn't a question for me personally (I just built my fourth home PC this summer with a P4 2.26GHz), but I think the Celeron isn't as bad a processor as it once was 6 months ago.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
No, I'm saying for Crashman. He's still got his PIII...

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

EvilHammie

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
*squeak!*
[128k cache!]
*scurries off in fear*

<b>Small.Cute.Fluffy.Evil. But looks so cute attached to your leg smiling up at you! :smile: </b>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Technology of the future:

Celeron 3.06GHz HT 533MHz FSB 128K L2 cache
2x64MB PC133 CL3 Dual Channel SDRAM
Intel Integrated <b><i>EXTREME</b></i> Graphics
MS Longhorn

$699

WOW!! What a system!

I still have a P3 with a G4 4200 and get over 10,000 3D Marks. In benchmarks it is on par with a P4 2gig or Athlon 1900+. So I see no reason to "upgrade" at this time. All of my games play great at 1280x1024x32 all detail on max.

Not bad for a $150US processor.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rick_Criswell on 10/17/02 09:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
Bummer, I totally forgot about Longhorn, boy will Intel discontinue the Celeron as soon as it is released, that 128K will NOT live!

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne

eden

Champion
IMO the Celeron I most respect, is the Tualatin 256K version. This one at least felt like it was something worth it. It's basically a Coppermine with the 100MHZ FSB, IIRC those were the first CuMines, right?

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne

eden

Champion
pairing it with a 845PE or something would ensure that you have some upgrade room.
If the 845PE comes out as the new generation chipset, then yes, if not then it is doubtful due to the 3GHZ new motherboard requirement speccs.

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Maybe not everyone likes to run their systems overclocked (like me).

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
If the 845PE comes out as the new generation chipset, then yes, if not then it is doubtful due to the 3GHZ new motherboard requirement speccs.
Yup, it supports up to 3.06GHz and over with HT enabled. It's probably gonna be the last Single Channel DDR RAM mobo for the NW ever. Then we'll have Granite Bay, but that's DC DDR. Then on we go to Prescott.

eden

Champion
I think you should OC it. It's free, it's safe, it's there waiting!
Dude, show it off, show off a 2.8GHZ in front of those wussies who paid 500$ for that CPU and pretend THEY are the kings of speed! You paid less than half that and can go further than theirs!

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne

DaveSauce

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Of course i would get the AXP. There's no question unless you're comparing a celeron to a duron. Maybe if it were a 1 gig Athlon, I would get the celery, but that AXP vs that celery isn't really a contest.

Now, if I could get a P4 or a AXP that could oc a gig with stock cooling, then maybe I would reconsider, heh.