Linux and FreeBSD

lymponus

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
Hello

I have an old Gateway computer with a Pentium 200 in it running Win95. A few years ago I installed a second HD, on which I have a copy of Redhat 5.2. Never really did much with Linux, mainly cause I was unable to connect it to the internet (internal modem).

Now I have a cable modem, so am excited about getting Linux up and running. Am planning to format the second drive, make it into two partitions, and put probably Redhat 8 on the first partition, and FreeBSD on the second.

Ok, my question is, when I format the drive, should I create the different partitions for Linux then (probably root, swap, and user) with fdisk, or just make a 3Gb partition and then use Linux to create the partitions it needs.

Thanks guys. And what would you recommend the different partitions for Linux be (and FreeBSD for that matter)? I know the swap should be a certain size, but what about the others. And, what about a /network partition?

"Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never give in!"
-Sir Winston Churchill

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Just use Linux to set up the partitions. You don't need to pre-format first, just tell the installer to use the whole of that disk and it will fdisk and format for you.

I don't know about FreeBSD, but for a general purpose Linux box, I'd just give it a 100MB /boot, 2xRAM swap, and the rest / partition. Why would you need a /network partition?

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

lymponus

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
Well, the 'ol memory isn't what it used to be. Couldn't remember if I had talked to a friend once who had a /network partition and was using it for sharing files across a network. Thanks for your advice amigo.

"Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never give in!"
-Sir Winston Churchill