Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
clickiepostie
<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q4/021017/index.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q4/021017/index.html</A>

Complicated proofs are proofs of confusion.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Well I just noticed this still no official on-die thermal protections, no thermal throttling. Personally I would have gone with the Intel approach to heat sink as well. But I guess 2 screws can work well. Also noted no USB 2.0 support with the newest chipset from AMD the 8111, kind of disappointing considering the introduction period for the chipset is still a few "official" months away.

But I must admit 1.6 pr of 3200 that’s kind of cool but like they said "unofficial" so well have to wait and see.

Also curious as to why there is need for a north bridge it was my understanding that the memory controller could deal with AGP and memory I/O too. Guess I was under the wrong understanding, also that 12volt independent lead that’s funny welcome to the world of P4's baby :).

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
That Vacuum tube baby from AOpen looks cool. Probably pricey but its a must have for audiofiles. I would seriously consider that when buying such a borad...

Complicated proofs are proofs of confusion.

FatBurger

Illustrious
So Hammer has an IHS, SSE2, a longer pipeline (hence a lower IPC), higher clockspeeds, a special 12v connector on the motherboard...
This sounds an awful lot like another processor, but I can't quite think of which one.

Probably pricey but its a must have for audiofiles.

lol
I love how people worship tubes for no reason.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
a longer pipeline (hence a lower IPC)
Where do you come off with that, seriously?
There is NO IPC lost technically, when moving to a higher pipeline, Fat. Why on earth would it, if the final execution stage STILL gets out the same IPC? Yes there is chance of misprediction and that could put some penalty, but the Hammer is only 2 stages longer, and they are not split, but new stages, so I fail to see why you are still thinking "lower IPC" when it comes to pipeline size. imgod2u can vouch for that, he's the one who cleared up that myth and he's willfully right.

Besides, the IPC of the Opteron at 2GHZ is 60% higher than AthlonXP, after some calculating and extrapolating between a higher and lower clock speed.
In fact it's even more questionable when they said they used PC2700, but did not say DUAL channel PC2700. Makes you wonder if that wasn't a CH.

--
What made you choose your THG Community username/nickname? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19957#19957" target="_new">Tell here!</A>

Tube amps produce a warm mellow sound that can not be reproduced by ANY digital device.

Many recording studios record in digital. Then they dump everything down to 1" 24 track tape and them back to digital to get this "TUBE" sound.

Others use a tube preamp between the board and the recorders to get this sound.

Digital is good ,but it can not match the warm harmonics of a tube amp.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
So Hammer has an IHS, SSE2, a longer pipeline (hence a lower IPC), higher clockspeeds, a special 12v connector on the motherboard...
This sounds an awful lot like another processor, but I can't quite think of which one.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :smile:

-Col.Kiwi

FatBurger

Illustrious
<i>Eden says:</i>
Yes there is chance of misprediction and that could put some penalty,

Exactly what I meant. You're right though, Hammer does have a higher IPC than Athlon. I got carried away.

<i>Rick_Criswell says:</i>
Digital is good ,but it can not match the warm harmonics of a tube amp.
I (and most people I know in the industry) go for the most accurate sound possible. Tubes color the sound WAY too much.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
Yes, but I just wanted you who always did say that too often, and others to know that in theory a longer pipeline DOES NOT reduce IPC. As with any non-perfect world comes 'lacunes' so you end up with a small decrease. In Hammer's case sadly that is so contradictory, since the extrapolated results show at least a 60% IPC boost over Palomino-based core designs. Seriously that was back in the 386-486 days you had such boosts, AND it is way above AMD's prediction for Opteron IPC, which was about 40%!

If ONLY it scaled! At 2.8GHZ it would rape a 2.8GHZ, and add SSE2 tests and it'd do monstrous 100% damage lol. Would've been what texas_Techie indicated, but sadly not in our time.
Something which occured as weird is how AMD specified only DDR PC2700 was used. Makes you wonder if they meant Single Channel Opteron. If so, that was a Clawhammer they used, and it would indicate that Sledge is a monster IPC beast!
Unfortunatly it's just a speculation based on crazy suspicions I put up! :tongue:

EDIT: Woops I just realized I repeated myself above.... at 16 you're already too old... :tongue:

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 10/18/02 09:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>