Sign in with
Your question

WarCraft III Recommended Graphic Cards

Last response: in Video Games
July 18, 2002 6:10:03 PM

If you have WC III and your gaming experience is pleasurable what Graphic Card are you using? Also, what are the settings?

Anyone else who are gaming on some of the newest games I'd love to get some recommended Graphic Cards that have few driver issues.

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>
July 19, 2002 1:54:52 AM

I use a GF2-GTS with no problems. All the video options are on the default settings.
July 19, 2002 3:06:32 AM

Thanks for the response. I have been an ATI users for a long time, but I'm almost willing to make the crossover at this point. Do you have WC III?

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>
Related resources
July 19, 2002 5:07:30 PM

I know early in the beta they were having problems with ati cards, but thats hopefully fixed. I would personally go with a GF3 or better.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=white>bless</font color=white> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue>
July 19, 2002 11:42:26 PM

Thanks, that 2 votes for GF. I am starting to consider abandoning the ATI camp.

July 20, 2002 11:49:42 PM

i switched from a geforce 256 to ati 8500le and my games (serious sam) crashed so much i had to wipe out my system constantly. i threw the ati out and bought a g4. the image quality was really good on the ati, but not worth having all the game (open gl) issues associated.

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....
July 21, 2002 12:35:46 AM

I had major problems with this rig and WCIII.
AMD 1.33
Gigabyte GA7DX (AMD 760 chipset)
SB Live!
256MB PC2100
GeForce2 Ultra
WinME

With the exception of Grand Theft Auto 3, I have played a ton of games recently on this Rig. JKII, Freedom Force, Morrowind, Civ3, Dungeon Siege, SOFII(Sucked Ass!), Ghost Recon(Sucked More Ass), and Arcanum....just to name a few. No crashes or system lockups here. I got acceptable framerates in 1024x768x32 but it would constantly crash. I tried swithing off the extra sound features and disabling EAX. No help there. The only way I got it play without crashing every 30-40 mins is if I dumbed down the settings to 800X600X16 and turning off some of the eye candy.

Eventually I installed it on my Dually 700E@933 P3 Rig with a ATI RadeonLE (Not 8500). Game ran fine at 1024x768x32 with the eye candy. Other than the brighter colors I couldn't tell too much of a difference with this game. Only that it sounded like [-peep-] with the C-Media sound controller.

However, even with all the problems I had I loved this game. I thought it might fall short but the long wait was worth it. Awesome gameplay and I love the addition of the hero's and the less focus on the resources. Fairly good storyline in there as well and it's blatantly obvious that there is going to be a expansion pack coming soon. But for once it doesn't feel like they cut the game short to cash in on an expansion. My only problem is the rising const of games. $60 is a bit high and then $30-$35 for a later expansion. Geeeeez!

Happy Gaming

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
July 21, 2002 3:19:58 AM

I am down right disappointed with ATI. I have always been a strong supporter of their product line, but I think I'll take you guys experience as a time to move forward. Are the Ge-F cards still cost a arm & a leg? Which would you recommend?

July 21, 2002 3:34:09 AM

i am also very disappointed. no matter. if you arent looking to spend a lot, and you want to go with a geforce, id suggest a visiontek g3 ti200 (~$100)or leadtek ti500 (~$250). both are avail at pcnut.com

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tdean on 07/20/02 11:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 21, 2002 4:30:31 AM

Man! I really appreciate the details in your post. I'll try dumbing down the settings, but even that seems ridiculous to do for the money I've spent. I really want to play this game. I have never had any problems with blizzard games. They always put out a quality product.

WC III is a very graphic intensive piece of work that I think is a excellent benchmarking tool for graphic card mfg'er, i.e., Doom, I think has been a standard test benchmarking game, but the game on the market now are really pressing the envelop of technology.

I still respect ATI, but I believe Nvidia has really been listening to the gaming industry while ATI was more apt to a business model that integrated TV & PC in a more conservative sector. ATI is no slouch, but I believe when it comes to gaming Nvidia has the edge.

The way I see it, the prize of status doesn't go to who gets their product out on the market first, but to the one who delivers what the customer wants.

I am willing to make the switch now but, I haven't been keeping up with the Nvidia product line and I'll admitt I wouldn't know which GeForce card to start out with. To help me out would you recommend a top-range/mid-range/low-range (I'm talking about $'s) Nvidia cards, all of which has the capability of standing up to the demands of the newer games on the market today. Thanks for the advise Pettytheft.

THGC is a great place for tech consumer advise. Because we don't just go through the pain, agony, and frustration without sharing our priceless experience. Somehow, the tech trials we go through all seem worth it when it comes to helping another person overcome like obstacles. So, thanks to all who have posted.

July 21, 2002 4:34:42 AM

Thanks! I'll check em out. :wink:

July 21, 2002 1:59:07 PM

Get a Radeon 8500LE clocked at 250/275 for $94 I believe it is now. I personally guarantee you won't have any issues. 95% of the issues people have are <b>completely</b> unrelated to the card. The R8500 is picky about power and some motherboards/PSUs simply can't provide stable power. ATI has also been listening the gaming industry with the R9000 and R9700. Plus, now ATI has absolutely amazing drivers. They're investing more effort into drivers than nVidia even did.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
July 21, 2002 6:06:01 PM

Dont know if you still are considering a retail or not but Newegg has a Hercules Retail Radeon8500 (275/275) on sale for $129. From what I've seen most of these cards overclock to 300/300 and somtimes you can get the core higher. I just picked one up, I was getting ready to purchase the 250/275 OEM card but for $30 more I get retail and I've always liked Hercules cards. (My GF2Ultra is a Hercules)

Ohh yeah, free shipping as well. But it is on sale and I dont know how much longer it'll be for that price.
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufa..." target="_new">Newegg Hercules Radeon</A>

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
July 21, 2002 7:09:52 PM

Do you mean that the Prophet 8500 uses an ATI Radeon chip? Thanks man, I'm checking it out right now.

July 21, 2002 7:56:53 PM

Quote:
I personally guarantee you won't have any issues. 95% of the issues people have are completely unrelated to the card.

Do you mean that the brand of PSU, or that a 400 watt Antec isn't good enough? For you to make such a bold statement, I take it that you have WW III installed and have not experienced any problems. Is that what you mean?

I've been a loyal ATI customer for the passed 9 years, and have felt the growing pang the company experienced with it's competitors (nVidia), but as I said ATI is no slouch. Their only mistake IMO is that they started caring about the gaming industry alittle too late for me personally.

If I have some cool video editing I was working on, or a slick video conference I wanted to water the eyes of some corporate talking-heads, then yeah ATI all the way. However, I just purchased a $60 game that I can't play it, and that just doesn't settle right at the moment with me. Especially, when my Radeon choking on some high powered code that their competitors can gobbles up and ask for more.

I haven't lost all hope for ATI products. Maybe the R9700 will mop up nVidia later, but when I've built cheaper PC's having a 3Dfx Voodoo 3 card in it, and get better frame rates that my ATI Rage Fury II - I thought, hmm...what wrong with this picture? You know whats funny? My son still has the 3dfx card and played the beta version of WC III with no problems. When I tried it on my ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO card it froze up. I thought ahhh...it only a beta. Now I have the retail version and the graphics still stink.

So, please don't take offense, it's nothing personal with your post. I'm venting (like a grown-up kid), because I want to play the game now, and not wait for a R9700. Most of the people who have posted have had good results with their nVidia cards, and that my friend has got my attention. Tell me just one thing...Do you have WW III and played it on your R8500 with no problems? Please let me know if this is so?

July 21, 2002 8:46:04 PM

I am very tempted to grab that Prophet 8500 at newegg.com, but as I've been surf-shopping I discovered that there are alot of mfg'ers of the nVidia card. In particular the GeForce 4 TI4200. I saw a number of mfg's and it puzzles me with all this competition over the same chip. Here are a few:

<A HREF="http://www.gainwardusa.com/Homepage.htm" target="_new">GainWard</A>
<A HREF="http://www.evga.com/" target="_new">eVGA</A>
<A HREF="http://www.pny.com/home/products/verto.cfm" target="_new">PNY</A>
<A HREF="http://www.leadtek.com/3d.htm" target="_new">LeadTek</A>
<A HREF="http://www.aopen.com/products/vga/gf4ti4200-dvc128.htm" target="_new">AOpen</A>
<A HREF="http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/pt_main_b..." target="_new">Abit Siluro</A>
<A HREF="http://www.xfxgraphics.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT25AM..." target="_new">XFX</A>

Does it matter which mfg'er when it comes to quality? Which seems the better, or is it no big deal?

July 21, 2002 9:56:31 PM

"An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load."

That's actually an interesting fact. I think I just pinched a load that weighed 3lbs...

Anyway, Leadtek usually uses the top spec memory available to them. eVGA are almost always the cheapest, but still good cards.

It seems like Gainward employs the most EE geeks (i.e. rapid drivers updates).
July 21, 2002 10:57:53 PM

Thanks. So mfg. does matter, interesting. Top spec memory as in name brand mfg's, i.e., micron, samsung, cosair,...ect? How would you research this to determine the mfg with the better quality memory? Sorry, but I am very inquisitive.

July 22, 2002 2:07:20 PM

I have had good luck with gainward and thier cards usually overclock really well.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=white>bless</font color=white> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue>
July 23, 2002 12:00:19 AM

i hear nothing but great things about gainward as well.
July 24, 2002 9:04:19 AM

Went from an Asus GF2MX to a Gainward Ti4200 and am chuffed to bits. Plays lovely @1152 res on my XP1900+ with everything turned to max.

All my games play faultlessly using the Gainward driver, even when I crank up the clocks on the card. Only issue I have is I can't play UT :frown: , but with UT2003 'coming soon', I can live with it.
!