Slow Windows 7 boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithandwestern

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Ive just upgraded from Vista Home premium to Windows 7 RTM. Over the past week my boot time has gone from around 50 seconds to 1:40. Ive cut out all the unwanted programs at boot using msconfig but that still doesnt make much difference. Any ideas?
Hardware:
Core i7 920 2.66ghz
Gigabyte X58-ud4p
3x 2gb 1333mhz geil ram
1tb 7200rpm WD harddrive
Zotac GTX260(216core)
Windows 7 Professional RTM

Solution
Slow startup is usually caused by an incompatible device/driver.

The first thing I would recommend is disconnecting everything that's not essential, and see does that solve the issue. If it does, then add devices back over time to see if/when the problem returns. For example: System is fine.. shut down... add the USB pastry~toaster... start up... OMG!! system is slow... Now you know what device is the cause.

You can also:

Run problem reports:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/4566-problem-reports-solutions-view-history-details.html

Use the Troubleshooting tool:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/472-troubleshooting.html

Start to Safe Mode and do things like repair your computer...
Slow startup is usually caused by an incompatible device/driver.

The first thing I would recommend is disconnecting everything that's not essential, and see does that solve the issue. If it does, then add devices back over time to see if/when the problem returns. For example: System is fine.. shut down... add the USB pastry~toaster... start up... OMG!! system is slow... Now you know what device is the cause.

You can also:

Run problem reports:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/4566-problem-reports-solutions-view-history-details.html

Use the Troubleshooting tool:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/472-troubleshooting.html

Start to Safe Mode and do things like repair your computer:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/666-advanced-boot-options.html

Solution

win7man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
if its drivers, then make sure you update them all, that and go into windows update and install anything available there, and if it is USB devices, what u can do, is while ur in windows, unplug all usb devices and then replug them, it should get the newer drivers off windows update for it

toymarv

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
The specs of your pc are very high. Hardware most probably is out of the question. If you look at the software side, there are many ways to improve startup time. some safe steps to follow are the following.

1. run "msconfig" - startup tab - disable all except your antivirus software (i use a light microsoft security essentials). services tab - click hide microsoft services, and disable all other services which show up except for services which run with your antivirus program. boot tab - advanced options: select hiytghest number of processors and highest available selection for memory. also check "no gui boot".

2. run disk cleanup or clean manager from windows system32 folder. clean all system files and drive files.

3. run checkdisk and defrag your hardisk.

4. update antivirus and scan your pc. i suggest microsoft security essentials for antivirus, malwarebytes antimalware and trojan remover for malware and other spyware.

5. uninstall programs which you do not regularly use. you can download it from the web as needed.

6. check steps 1 to 4 is done at least once a month and I expect your pc and your computer use will just be fine.

There is no perfect hardware and software when it comes to computer. It is all a matter of right use, regular maintenance (steps 1 to 4) and awareness of a situation and how to deal with it. The steps which I mentioned may not even be enough but it will basically cover the basics of how to make your computer startup faster.

You can also run a system optimizer software to consolidate all the maintenance work. One good one is advanced system optimizer 3.0. It may not be the best for all users but it is enough for normal use. You can reach me through (email removed) if you have any questions.

Moderator Edit: Please do not post your email address. Hell hath no fury like the email spammers.

toymarv

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
If you suspect you have software problems related to drivers or your hardware, you can check it by right-clicking my computer and click manage. If there really is a problem on any of the hardware drivers, windows will highlight it with yellow so you can see it. If you do not see any, most probably there's no problem.

As mentioned by the previous posts, it is true that updating hardware drivers would help. Make sure you download drivers from the brand site of your product. Or if it is an assembled pc, you can get it from the hardware manufacturer's site. They usually post the lates software updates for their products.

Mikey_bug

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Specs: QX6700 at 3.2Ghz, 4GB of Dominator stuff (2 sticks), 500GB Seagate C drive, 8800GTX, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Startup was mega fast when first installed where it HD activity would stop almost immediately when the windows sound played and the desktop would appear. Now after 3 months the windows sound can take 3 mins after the desktop appears lol! And the hard disk goes mental till i have 27MB free memory and 2865MB in standby!?! What is in that???

if I open a game or anything then the disks go mad again while it deletes all this stuff in standby and reloads my new program and things take a while to start.

Running Avast with most of it off (only the realtime scanner on certain folders that I download too) and its got an average CPU usage of 0.00 and memory usage of almost 100MB in total but not much else that would interfere with startup (and they have all been on since the begining when it was fast).

As an example my G4 powerbook running OSX 10.4 and 1GB of memory has 700MB free when its not doing anything and starts in a min at the most (no hard disk activity after startup) and it hasnt been reinstalled in 2 years!

How can this be?!?! :fou: :cry:

helpme911

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Ive just upgraded from Vista Home premium to Windows 7 RTM. Over the past week my boot time has gone from around 50 seconds to 1:40. Ive cut out all the unwanted programs at boot using msconfig but that still doesnt make much difference. Any ideas?
Hardware:
Core i7 920 2.66ghz
Gigabyte X58-ud4p
3x 2gb 1333mhz geil ram
1tb 7200rpm WD harddrive
Zotac GTX260(216core)
Windows 7 Professional RTM

:D Your Computer is very good. It should have a perfect performanced in windows 7. Maybe you just need to do something to improve computer performance.

Boots slow and runs slow is a common problem for all Windows user. It's not all related with hardware, registry, viruses or spyware!

"No matter how fast or shiny computers might be when they're new, they all seem to get slower over time." Microsoft claimed that on their technical forum(Windows 7 forum).

In fact, Windows built-in a lot of services and startup item start with system. So if you want a faster computer, you need to disable some of them first.

I saw an article before. It descripe how to make your windows faster.
-------> How to Speed Up Computer

If you still don't know how to disable services safety, Click here to fix Windows SLow by professional tools.

Thank you KeronLEE's post
My computer faster by follow the article and the tools.

By the way, I know you are a computer technician, so do you have any Idea for recover files?? I son deleted my files in error. Please give me your email or others, I need your help!

Thank you again.

G

Newest on slow start up with Windows 7 64 bit. Seems this problem occurs when there are more than a given number "X" of USB devices plugged in at startup. Has something to do with Win 7 getting hung up in some kind of a loop because it doesn't want to see all that start up stuff. Solution is easy. Unplug all your USB stuff, reboot and it will run like F A S T. Then plug your USB stuff back in and go. I'm told by my guhru that the next Windows 7 "fix" should take care of the problem. Works like a charm for me--hope it helps you. Pat

G

Hi all,
I think it is the nature of the beast. I have Win 7 32 and 64 on separate boots. 32 fully boots in 90 seconds and the 64 in 2mins and 10 seconds. I just custom built this machine and know there are no cobwebs in it.
I will not try and improve on that as when fully booted it is frighteningly fast compared to my old 4 core and after testing I see it is running at its peak. I don't see a need to compromise any boot programs just to speed up the boot if the machine is otherwise behaving. So, I guess it's a fair trade.

However, if my boots starts to slow down your tips here are very useful.

All the best to you all.
Magnus

Rampage Extreme 2
i7 920
ATI Radion 4890
3x 2g Ripjaws DDR5 6gig triple channel.
Coolmaster Sniper Case
Thor's Hammer CPU Cooler
2x WD WD 500g Raid (on boot)
Win 7 Ultimate 64

helpme911

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
:bounce:

Rampage Extreme 2
i7 920
ATI Radion 4890
3x 2g Ripjaws DDR5 6gig triple channel.
Coolmaster Sniper Case
Thor's Hammer CPU Cooler
2x WD WD 500g Raid (on boot)
Win 7 Ultimate 64

:bounce: Your Pc is great!

Boots slow and runs slow is a common problem for all Windows user. It's not all related with hardware, registry, viruses or spyware!

"No matter how fast or shiny computers might be when they're new, they all seem to get slower over time." Microsoft claimed that on their technical forum(Windows 7 forum).

In fact, Windows built-in a lot of services and startup item start with system. So if you want a faster computer, you need to disable some of them first.

If you don't know how to disable services safety, Click here to fix Windows SLow by professional tools.

:hello:

G

Newest on slow start up with Windows 7 64 bit. Seems this problem occurs when there are more than a given number "X" of USB devices plugged in at startup. Has something to do with Win 7 getting hung up in some kind of a loop because it doesn't want to see all that start up stuff. Solution is easy. Unplug all your USB stuff, reboot and it will run like F A S T. Then plug your USB stuff back in and go. I'm told by my guhru that the next Windows 7 "fix" should take care of the problem. Works like a charm for me--hope it helps you. Pat

Thx Pat. I was about to start pulling out my hair regarding this issue.

I gamed all night and went to bed nearly at 6am. Was woken up in a hurry at 9am because someone needed some files in my pc and bam, my pc which usually starts up very fast is taking a very looooooong time to. It halts at the "starting windows" black screen with the animation taking about 20+ seconds to begin, but after that it loads up just fine.

So after removing all unwanted/forgotten installed programs and thinning out startup ones to no avail I found your post and voila, I realize that the only thing out of the ordinary on my pc is an mp3 player I forgot to unplug after updating the songs on it. I guessed it was the straw that broke the camel's back. After unplugging it and restarting everything's back to normal

Thanks for the info.

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

In this case I would recommend that you disable Superfetch.

Status
Not open for further replies.