Macbook Pro reads External but not Internal Drive

Tags:
  • Macbook Pro
  • OS X
  • Computers
  • Mac OS X
Last response: in Mac Os X
May 23, 2011 2:06:15 AM

The computer in a Macbook Pro 13" (mid '09) Snow Leopard OSX.
Thinking I had a hard drive going bad after it was sticking and taking forever to do anything,I reistalled the OSX. This worked for a short time then the computer shutdown and would not turn on. I bought a new Seagate drive and installed it but the computer could not find the hard drive to install the OSX. I put the old drive back in and it worked so I hooked up the new Seagate drive externally and the computer found it and installed the OSX and ran without a problem. I then installed the new Seagate drive interally into the computer and now it cannot find it.
Any suggestions to what the problem might be?
Thanks
-Count

More about : macbook pro reads external internal drive

May 23, 2011 2:10:58 AM

count_dissident said:
The computer in a Macbook Pro 13" (mid '09) Snow Leopard OSX.
Thinking I had a hard drive going bad after it was sticking and taking forever to do anything,I reistalled the OSX. This worked for a short time then the computer shutdown and would not turn on. I bought a new Seagate drive and installed it but the computer could not find the hard drive to install the OSX. I put the old drive back in and it worked so I hooked up the new Seagate drive externally and the computer found it and installed the OSX and ran without a problem. I then installed the new Seagate drive interally into the computer and now it cannot find it.
Any suggestions to what the problem might be?
Thanks
-Count

This is the 2nd time I've heard of someone with Seagate hard drive not working in a MBP. What is the model of hard drive.
m
l
May 23, 2011 2:19:47 AM

Hi Halcyon...thanks for the incredibly quick response. It's a Seagate Momentus 2.5" sata notebook internal drive. 500 GB,7200 RPM & 16 MB cache.
Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2011 2:37:18 AM

Weird, I have ones of those that I've used in several MBPs...a 7200.4, if my memory serves correctly. Have you applied all the available firmware updates to your MacBook?
m
l
May 23, 2011 5:11:00 AM

I downloaded the firmware update to be sure it was up to date. I connected my original hard drive via external USB as this is the only way I can get my computer to find a hard drive (the new seagate is still internally installed.) I ran the fireware and it said "this computer does not need this update."
The computer is running fine with my old hard drive (or the Seagate) connected via USB so I am guessing that the hard drive is not the problem.
Could this problem be a Ram problem or a motherboard issue? Could it be a simple as replacing the Sata cable?

Also,I forgot to mention...I took the computer to the Mac Store for diagnostics after the initial problem of the computer "hanging."
The technician tried a tester drive and it worked fine. I didnt want to pay the apple price for installing a new hard drive so I told them to put the original drive in and I would replace it myself. After they reinstalled the original drive it worked fine. I used it for about 2 weeks until the computer shutdown and no longer could read the internal drive.
Just thought that info could help.
Thanks
-Count
m
l
May 23, 2011 11:16:40 AM

There was a problem with some of the MacBook Pro's of that era handling SATA II hard drives. You may want to do a search on Macbook Pro problems with SATA II hard drives. It seems that not all MBPs with the same hard drive model were affected.

Your problem may be related to this: article or this thread
m
l
May 23, 2011 4:46:56 PM

halcyon said:
There was a problem with some of the MacBook Pro's of that era handling SATA II hard drives. You may want to do a search on Macbook Pro problems with SATA II hard drives. It seems that not all MBPs with the same hard drive model were affected.

Your problem may be related to this: article or this thread

Interesting. The problem is,my original drive that came in the computer (Hitachi,160 GB,5400 RPM) is running fine via external USB but even that drive is not recognized when installed internally. This makes me think that it could possibly be a different issue than the SATA II issue others have had.

I found this thread after researching cables: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2648100?start=0&ts...
I realize this would be a rare issue,but I am starting to believe it is something to think about.
m
l
May 23, 2011 11:17:54 PM

count_dissident said:
Interesting. The problem is,my original drive that came in the computer (Hitachi,160 GB,5400 RPM) is running fine via external USB but even that drive is not recognized when installed internally. This makes me think that it could possibly be a different issue than the SATA II issue others have had.

I found this thread after researching cables: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2648100?start=0&ts...
I realize this would be a rare issue,but I am starting to believe it is something to think about.

It could very well be the cable...they are super delicate...but the thing is your original drive is seen. Now if your original drive is SATA I then it could be a shielding issue as there have been reports of some MBP SATA cables not being shielded well enough for SATA II drives.
m
l
May 25, 2011 6:10:36 AM

Problem solved,it was the hard drive cable. Thanks for the help Hallcyon!
m
l
May 25, 2011 10:15:58 AM

count_dissident said:
Problem solved,it was the hard drive cable. Thanks for the help Hallcyon!

Glad to help.
m
l
September 25, 2011 1:27:42 AM

This same exact thing happened to me same model and year of macbook, I tried an ssd drive and a seagate momentus 320 and both would only work externally and not show up internally so I am hoping that it might be the same issue with the cable...I just ordered one off amazon so keeping my fingers crossed that it is the same problem!! Glad I stumbled upon this knowing I'm not going crazy
m
l
September 25, 2011 7:03:25 AM

I hope the new cable helps. It would seem that Apple dropped the ball on that one.
m
l
January 15, 2013 1:10:20 PM

I'm having write issues with a new SSD (Samsung 830) installed in a Macbook Pro 15" 2009. Did a new cable solve your problem?
Thanks.

biglsky said:
This same exact thing happened to me same model and year of macbook, I tried an ssd drive and a seagate momentus 320 and both would only work externally and not show up internally so I am hoping that it might be the same issue with the cable...I just ordered one off amazon so keeping my fingers crossed that it is the same problem!! Glad I stumbled upon this knowing I'm not going crazy

m
l
!