Distinguished
Oct 18, 2002
I currently have:

AMD XP 1700+
512 DDR 2100 RAM
Shuttle AK31 MB
GeForce 3
Windows XP

I'm considering upgrading to a P4 2.4 GHz processor with the Albatron 845PE MB. My main motivation for the upgrade its to prepare for a video card upgrade in 6 months (9700 or Nvidea's latest). I won't be able to upgrade everything at that time, so thought it made sense to go ahead and take care of the CPU and MB now. I may upgrade the memory to 2700 later too.

However, do you think I'll see any benefits immediately with this upgrade? I play UT 2003, NOLF 2, most other current games. Anyone done something similar? Thanks for help.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Personally I'd wait till around the Christmas season. Hopefully by then the 2400/2600's will be at OEM's in bulk by then. That will further lower the P4's costs and give you a few more options.

Also RDRAM at 1066 is the only way to go to see any large increase for your video tasking. P4's need a lot of memory bandwidth to run at peak.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No, it won't make too much of a difference. I'd save that money for an upgrade to an R9700Pro or NV30 this Christmas.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Your wasting money by dumping a perfectly fine platform.......

Instead of wasting money on a new board and CPU and Video card later on, why not just got a newer faster AXP CPU and get ur new Video Card.......

This eliminates re-installing windows.......and ur not throwing money away.........

My theory..why ditch it if u have an upgrade path still...??

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
im currently having the same problem..
i have a xp1800 with 512mbs of ddr 2100 memory and a 9700 pro.. its runs very well, but the speed is lacking because of the cpu..
im wondering what i should do, but i have been told to get something along the lines of p4 @ 2.4 (533fsb) pc3200 or pc3500 memory DDR and it will make a difference.. but the one problem i have is that i want to make a big jump when upgrading... like i did with my graphics card..
i had a geforce 2 ultra.. really nice card, until i saw the ati 9700 pro and now i have it my 3dmark 2001se score, has gone from 5000 upto nearly 13000... (im stuck at about 12600 at the mo.. 142fsb and its dont work beond that.. doh!!) so if someone could shed some light as to a upgrade jump that i have just made, then please feel free!!

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well once again the cheapest and most efficient (bang/buck) improvement would bet to get a XP2400+ or XP2200+.

It's likely that a P4 system will give better performance, but not by terribly much, and it will cost ALOT more as you will need a new CPU, cooler, motherboard and possibly ram. Not worth it in my view.

<b>And if you gaze for long into Toms Hardware Forums, The Forum gazes also into you! :eek: </b>

cooll

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002
i'm curious, how much performance boot will you get from updating to a p 4 2.4 gig? the answer is not much.

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Just overclock your processor for now. It should be able to reach speeds of around xp2000

"If you sign up for AOL now, we'll give you 1024 hours of slow service and disconnects free of charge"

tbirdXPplus

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
NO THERE WILL BE NO DIFFERENCE.

DO NOT UPGRADE< SAVE YOUR MONEY, AND BUY A P5 OR A HAMMER VERSION OF ATHON IN 2 OR 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!

"Is Celeron good?"
"No. Celeron is bad."
LOL

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
The computing world has to announce, sadly, that right now we can not satisfy your demand. As soon as posible we will comunicate to Sir phill21 and other loyal costumers when a big jump is available (base on your current config: an XP1800, 512Mb DDR 2100 and 9700Pro). We will work harder to give you another 8000 marks jump in 3dmark 2001se in order to achieve around 21000 score.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Note: you could always try 16000 Opteron + 16000 ATI9700Pro in a frezee ...

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
These guys are mostly right. I'll bet that you wouldn't see a noticible of difference in most games from your cpu upgrade alone (maybe a couple cpu intensive ones). If your upgrading just to get higher 3D Mark scores then rethink where that money could be better placed. Mod your case, watercool it, set up a game server, make a wireless network in your house...but don't go changing something thats working fine to get a couple thousand (Maybe) points out of a synthetic benchmark from Mad Onion. I swear, sometimes I think that the only reason that these chipmaker/GPU makers are still alive is because some bored programmer decided to make a benchmark program. [/rant]

Sorry about that...grouchy this morning...

Is there a synonym for thesaurus?

minime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
Intel just released info that it will release 3.06 Gig P4 on Nov 14 this year. That's only 2 weeks from now. Expect a drop in price, so I think the 2.53 will be available for the price of the 2.4B right now.

Or if you got cash, get the 3.06 gig monster. It's got hyperthreading. Don't know how much it will impact game performace, but it's going to be something that's mainstream in a year or so.

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Why not grab an E7205 (Granite Bay) board at the same time? They will also be released mid-Nov!

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

minime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
Granit bay should support dual channel DDR right? It should give it the bandwidth advantage over the 850 mobos.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Unless you're having problems with your current board, I would KEEP it. IF you need a faster processor (which I doubt), it would be MUCH CHEAPER to simply add a faster XP processor.

If you're simply looking toward the future, put your money away for the future. In 6 months the P4 3.0GHz should be around $200, the (delayed) SiS 655 Dual Channel DDR chipset should be out (your current PC2100, if it's two modules, would be good for 4200MB/s), and video card prices for current top cards should be down by around 30%.

I mentioned that PC2100 would be 4200MB/s in Dual Channel configuration. While that would be a perfect match to a "533" bus processor, it doesn't give you any room for overclocking the memory when you overclock the bus. And removing the memory from your current system makes it loose value. My suggestion would be to leave your system in one piece and sell it on Ebay, and use PC2700 or PC3200 on a dual channel DDR board.

At 5% interest, your money would increase at a value higher than the rate of inflation over the next 6 months, while the prices of the parts drop.

Afraid you won't be able to hang onto cash? Buy some AMD or ATI stock. These are so undervalued right now that it's as close to a sure thing as you can get in the stock market.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
thank you for that rather crappy remark..
im glad there are people like you as then us normal foke, we then know who are the ones to point and laugh at when they try and say something funny...
oh and has homer would say,
oh by the way, i was being sarcastic...

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
IF you need a faster processor (which I doubt), it would be MUCH CHEAPER to simply add a faster XP processor.
Are you smoking crack or something? The supposedly comparable AXP 2400 is selling for $10 more than P4 2.4. Try keeping up with current prices dude. <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">CPU prices</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think you're smoking crack! Because upgrading to a P4 would require a new motherboard! That's at least $90 more, ie 50% more. Try learning math d00d.

Wait, wait, wait! If he wants the system to perform properly, he'll need faster RAM, better add another $100 minimum, now we're up to TWICE the PRICE, d00d.

OK, Let's say either CPU is $200 (rounding to the nearest $50). That means it's $200 cheaper to upgrade his processor than to replace his CPU, board, and RAM! Unless you want him to run his old PC2100 on the new P4, in which case that NOW HANDICAPPED P4 2.4 would perform about the same as an XP 2100+. Cheap cheap cheap.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
ok ok, don't blow a head gasket. I didn't mean anything by it. Just tired of people insisting AMD has a major price/performance advantage over Intel, which isn't true these days, and I thought this was what you were referring to. Sorry!