POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
From the INQUIRER, TOMS and X86-secret.com

""Prepare to receive the Athlon DT 3000+

Clawhammer nomenclature, PR rating revealed

By Paul Hales: Friday 18 October 2002, 13:15

THE CLAWHAMMER ATHLON still due in Q1 2003 will be called

the Athlon DT, according to documents seen by the INQUIRER.

Indeed, you can see them too, by wibbling over to Tom's Hardware guide to what they say is the very first motherboard for the chip, sporting the VIA K8T400M chipset.

The eagle-eyed Frenchmen over at x86-secret.com spotted the details on an AMD roadmap posted on Tom's pages.

They've saved the roadmap here, just in case it suddenly disappears, they say.

According to the documentation, the 'Performance' chip in the Athlon range will be the Athlon DT 3000+, sporting the Clawhammer core.

This wil be the first Clawhammer Athlon to be released, the roadmap suggests.

Elsewhere in Tom's piece, we note it says the Athlon DT will run at a clock speed of 1.6GHz. µ"""

Looks like, to the shagrin af FUGGER and MELTEDDICK.... Clawhammer is still on schedule.

eden

Champion
I thought THG's roadmap was a fake old one?!
BTW if Opteron at 2GHZ did not smash the 2.8GHZ P4, how on earth is AMD expecting the Claw (which is not sure it was the one used as Opteron) to compete 3GHZ level P4?!

This article is suspicious.

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
We dont know if those bench marks at the MDF will be the final benchmarks ...we dont even know for sure if SSE2 was enabled... Lots of people are looking at those marks and jumping the gun. Just like when the Athlon first benches landed and it got crushed by the Katmai core P3... When athlon shipped... the benches were a lot different...

What AMD showed was not final shipping silicon... if it was... HAMMER would be out right now.

Early benches are nice... but i have made myself look foolish before by drawing a final conclusion from them.

coolcat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
DT is a stupid name, what does it stand for?
If the hammer's out at 3000+ who'll buy it? By then, we'll have the P4 3600 or somethin like it.

:mad: Are you talkin' to me? :mad:
:cool: That means you know martian :cool:

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Well, just as an observation, all Athlon's have lower numbers than the P4's, that is because they are using a different rating system. And in general, an Athlon with a lower actual clock speed will out preform a P4 of the same clock speed hands down.

In a world without <font color=red>walls </font color=red>or <font color=green>fences </font color=green>, what use have we for <font color=red>Windows </font color=red>or <font color=green>Gates.</font color=green>

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I dunno... If you look on the THG article it says "However this isn't the latest roadmap from AMD" which begs to show that they are just using an old roadmap that has Clawhammer/Barton to show what market segments the seperate cores will be in... For instance it's showing Clawhammer Athlons will be first introduced as Performance chips for computers in the >$1500 price range.

-------------------------------------------
<font color=blue> "Trying is the first step towards failure." </font color=blue>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah you're right. The P4 2.4B beats the XP2400+, the P4 2.53 beats the XP2600+, and the P4 2.8B beats the XP2800+.

So a XP3000+ would probably be beaten by a P4 3.06GHz if the trend continues.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

eden

Champion
and the P4 2.8B beats the XP2800+.
That's extremly controversial. With nForce 2 being stable and using its current performance, I'd be inclined to say the XP2800+ is either equal or slightly better.
Without it, it loses of course.

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
eden a 250 points margin in specINT is a big diffrence.
the diffrence for instance between a 1.8Ghz Athlon XP to 2.25 Ghz Athlon XP is a mere 199points...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You better go read some more, Athlon DT aka "Desktop" has been put on the back burner so to speak. The roadmap is not set in stone and AMD has alrady confirmed targeting the server market before the DT.

AMD has already made the statement on the direction they plan to take. I am sure that The Inquirer knows better than AMD themselves. Since they also know that Elvis lives in Martha Stewarts basement and Bill Clinton is really and alian. You gotta stop quoting tabliods.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

eden

Champion
Hmm yes I suppose, but the FP results though, didn't show a huge light of ray to me.
As long as Opterons are on x86, they need some kind of clock speed margin to the P4s. 800MHZ is somewhat ok, but with Intel's next IPC boosting CPUs and clock ramping, it'll be even less, so AMD's job here is to get ramping, as it has been rumored that the scaling yeilds a lot of points per MHZ in Spec.

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne