For my needs, ssd or hdd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macc_aviv

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I'm in the process of searching for a new laptop and have run across an asus that seems to suit my needs. There are similar models, one with a solid state drive and the other with a hdd. I'll primarily be using this computer to download video that is cut up into 15-30 clips which are individually stored into a folder. I then use a program to attach text strings to the clips.

Basically, I'm wondering if a ssd is ideal for this type of use. I've also read that SSDs can slow down significantly over time. Is that something I should be worried about? Would the laptop come with trim installed? How can I find out who manufactures the asus ssd (or do they make them in house)?

Also, if you have a better recommendation for a laptop that meets the following criteria feel free to post it.
-i5 or better processor
-dedicated graphics card
-portable/light weight
-not a Mac
-long battery life

Thanks

Hello macc_aviv;

You didn't mention the model of laptop you're looking at. Or your budget range.
Or the dozen or so questions we normally like to see answered.
See the Laptop FAQ link below.

A SSD isn't necessarily more ideal or less ideal than a HDD for your needs.
They both pretty much do the same thing and do it well - mass storage.
One is faster and more expensive than the other.
Asus does not manufacture their own SSDs and are free to buy from any source they choose.

The problem with a SSD in a laptop is the capacity , if you are doing video clips then storing them it won't be long before you fill the SSD up and the larger the capacity the higher the price . So in this case unless there is a way to have two hdd's , one being a SSD and the other a regular hdd then I would go with the conventional hdd. The reason for the slow down over time is that the more you put on it and get to over 75% then you notice a slow down because of the way the drive is read.

macc_aviv

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
The model I'm looking at is the Asus U36sd-xa1.

I'm looking to keep the purchase price to $1,000 or less. I'm located in the US.

Speed and performance of my editing program is about the only thing I'm concerned with. I'm not a game and this laptop will be used for business use and web browsing outside of the editing program.

Things like optical drive, speakers and webcam are secondary to portability and performance.

The 160gb ssd drive in the asus I'm looking at is about the smallest I would consider in terms of capacity.

I also need at least a 2 year warranty which is another reason I'm drawn to the asus (if I have to buy one that has to be included for the $1,000 budget).

Here's a link to the model I'm considering (doing this from my phone so I hope it comes out right):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005JCWSNQ?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

macc_aviv

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

The changes I make with my program are uploaded to a web database as I make them. I delete the video files from my hard drive after I finish with the edits. Capacity isn't a huge concern for that reason.

The SSD would improve your boot times, load programs and data faster. You might notice that the performance might seem a bit 'snappier'. But overall, it will have a minimal improvement in your editing and encoding times. I'd suggest that increasing RAM from 4GB to 8GB would be a better option if I knew for sure your editing software could make use of it.

A couple 'pro reviews' from some of the usual sources:

@ Notebookcheck: Asus U36SD-RX114V (SSD) Subnotebook this is probably a XA1 with a euro model number.

@ Laptopmag: ASUS U36SD-A1 Review

I had been wondering why there wasn't any mention of the make/model of SSD in use on Google. But the Notebookcheck review partially explains that. It's not easily accessible for viewing. And in the end it probably doesn't matter. It's unlikely you have a choice.

macc_aviv

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Thanks, and now that I have more time i'll do the full faq. I am wide open to suggestions at this point.

1. What is your budget?

$1,000 usd

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

I'd really like something 4.5 pounds or less

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Doesn't matter really. Other factors are far more important

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

It needs to be portable, but with the absolute best performance specs possible (I know I'm too picky)

5. How much battery life do you need?

Over 5-6 hours is ideal. Lots more if possible

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I'm not a gamer at all. Since I need to play video I am aiming for a dedicated graphics card and i5 or higher processor.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Lots of Google Chrome and word processing. General business functions as well. I will be traveling a lot with it, and generally tether through my phone to work. A bit of music downloading as well.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

160gb would be the minimum if I go solid state. Need 7200rpm if I don't.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I've looked on amazon and newegg, but am open to other options

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2-3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I don't need one really. I've been considering buying a blu ray usb 3.0 burner separate

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I like the sound if Asus because of reliability and the 2 year factory warranty. I'm open to other brands though, except for Mac

13. What country do you live in?

United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'll need at least a 2 year protection plan so factor that in to the purchase price if the factory doesn't include it.

Is there anything of an unusual nature to your videos?
The HD Graphics 3000 integrated graphics chip of a Core i5 Sandy Bridge CPU is roughly equivalent to a dedicated graphics card like an Nvidia Geforce 310M or a Radeon HD 5450 which is plenty of GPU for every video format I know about. What would probably interest you the most is that it has some dedicated units for decoding and encoding HD videos.

macc_aviv

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I decided I wanted a dedicated card because the combination of the graphics card, RAM and processor caused my editing program to run slow on my last laptop. There is nothing unusual about the formats I use, but the program takes up a ton of resources and RAM to operate. I was told by a few friends dedicated was the way to go, but I an here to learn and get better suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.