HAMMER scaling ability is scary

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/2002/10-18.php
*corrected link*

as seen here... Hammer murders all the other processors in scaling.... add more MHZ... scores rise much higher...

Opteron gains about 17 % in SPEC FPU per 200 MHZ boost
P4/XEON gain about 5 % in SPEC FPU per 200 MHZ boost

this means that if AMD can Ramp the clock speeds...they will be very potent against the next level of p4's

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by popegoldx on 10/19/02 05:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Well since I cant see anything other than a case in the right coner Ill just assume your crazy and go about my day.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I think u mean left Corner Spud =)

Yea whats with this link?? at least make it <A HREF="http://www.warp2search.net/adserver/adframe.php?n=ad8d2ec1&clientid=70" target="_new">CLICKABLE</A> for everyone to see either the case or the pretty colours!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
:eek: My bad sorry I'm sleepy today and the store is soo very cold.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Oh Oh!!! <A HREF="http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/2002/10-18.php" target="_new">CLICKY CLICKY ONE DOLLA!!</A> =)

EDIT: I don't speak the language displayed on that page...nor do i know what it is...could sum 1 please translate it for us?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MeTaLrOcKeR on 10/19/02 05:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
<A HREF="http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/2002/10-18.php&langpair=de|en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools" target="_new">Oh Oh Oh Clickie Translate $1.50</A>

Complicated proofs are proofs of confusion.

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
Looking at the Spec databases they linked to, I don't see Opteron scores. I wonder where they got them from.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Opteron gets beaton in SPECfp 2000? Is that significant. I have no clue what these tests are.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I dunno what the tests are....but the Optetron gets beaten in FP.....but it was desinged for ALU...which it more than out-muscles everything else... =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

eden

Champion
Hmm, the performance is definitly not scaling linearly. Notice the 1.6GHZ to 1.8GHZ, POWERFUL, more than 200 points in Int, but from 1.8 to 2 it only gives ~117. Once again the scaling has problems, I am surprised AMD didn't even look at that!
Had it been consistent like the 1.6 to 1.8, it would indeed be scary, as 1GHZ would lead a direct 1000 points, completly busting any P4 of any type including Prescott!

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne

eden

Champion
Strange since the K8 core is using the K7 which was the king of x86 FP. It wasn't beaten by the 2.8GHZ though, so it still maintains the FPU lead in the x86 world. What I'd like is an SSE2 fight.

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Eden, you've gotta remember this is Opteron, not ClawHammer. If AMD can get Opteron chips down to $500USD, then it'll compete with the Prescott, otherwise, that's just a moot point.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

eden

Champion
Opteron is just the MP name, CH and SH can both be Opterons!
Athlon DT can also be Sledge but it'll be for small 1-2 way servers.

And yes it shouldn't go against Prescott, but I said that for the sake of the graphs' comparison chart CPUs. What I find odd is why is the Xeon 2.8GHZ using an NW core, weaker than the P4?! I mean I thought it used a smarter cache design and SMP capabilities,(which the P4 doesn't have anyways) Hyper Threading enab...Ooohhh, maybe that's why...
--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 10/19/02 08:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
lol... seems like HT isn't all that great for the XEONs huh?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Strange since the K8 core is using the K7 which was the king of x86 FP. It wasn't beaten by the 2.8GHZ though, so it still maintains the FPU lead in the x86 world.
Looks like you answered your own musings there. :wink: AMD is the king of <i>x87</i> FP, and x87 FP just isn't that great.

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>

eden

Champion
Heheh, I guess then SpecFP must use some FP ops that aren't x86 limited then? (considering IA64 FPUs seem to rape, and only at 1GHZ so you can imagine at 2GHZ!)

BTW why is the FPU using a x86+1 number, x87?

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 10/19/02 08:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
BTW why is the FPU using a x86+1 number, x87?
Back in the old days of the 386 and before, Intel CPUs didn't have FPUs built-in, they were sold separately. Motherboards had a second socket for the FPU chip, which was called an x87 (387 for the 386, 287 for the 286, etc). Both chips would then run together simultaneously.

The 486DX was the first Intel CPU to integrate the FPU into the core. Intel also sold a budget 486SX, which was the 486 core with the FPU removed. You could then buy the 487 unit separately if you decided later that you wanted the FPU. Curiously, the 487 was actually a full-fledged 486 and when you put it on the motherboard it would simply de-activate the 486SX completely. So in this case the two chips would not execute together, the 486SX was actually doing nothing!

eden

Champion
But it doesn't explain why they call it with a 7!

Also, if at their time, with no FPU, how the heck does the CPU possibly live through this? How does it calculate anything decimal?
It scares me out when thinking of an FPU-less workaround!

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Also, if at their time, with no FPU, how the heck does the CPU possibly live through this? How does it calculate anything decimal?
You are young yet, Jedi apprentice.

It scares me out when thinking of an FPU-less workaround!
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to stress. Stress leads to doobies... :wink:

1) Apps could do IEEE-compliant floating-point operations using generic bit-manipulation techniques and produce the same end results as a numeric coprocessor. Very, very slow.

2) The O/S could trap the "numeric coprocessor not present" exception and do the work of (1). Again, very, very slow. Advantageous in that apps usually didn't have to account for the possibility of a missing FPU.

3) Apps could store and manipulate numbers in BCD (Binary Coded Decimal) format. Many developers were doing this anyways, simply because it allowed greater range/precision than most FPUs. Still rather slow.

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Oh great Jedi Master it pains me to mention that you forgot one of the great tools of the early 90s. The fixed point technique. It certainly had its limitations but at one point I had a whole 3d transformation pipeline coded in fixed point.

Complicated proofs are proofs of confusion.