Building a sweet rig, any sugestions

TJinsane

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2002
Well, Im gonna build a sweet rig with nothin I dont need, except for a hole bunch of extra crap, any suggestions.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Lian-Li PC70 case
(I'm gonna put a PS2 and gamecube inside :p )
Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra
The first Athlon sporting 166 fsb (I think the 2800+)
ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 when its out
(Gonna Hook the whole thing up to a killer video system)
2 Maxtor 80 Gig ATA 133, already have these (will upgrade 2 SATA)
On board sound, so I dont gotta worry bout that
Probably have the 4 stock 120 mm fans + 2 more 120, mabey a blow whole or 2
WATER KEWLED
-----------------------------------------------------------

For the software part, gonna run dual boot FreeBSD and XP pro
Tell me what you think

Thanks for looking

Ps. Im gonna have a Video switcher hooked up to the front that supports component input and Coaxial Audio
All this is gonna be hooked up to my 65 " widescreen Mitsubishi diamond series TV and Yamahaa/Boston acustic sound system.

If a CPU can be overclocked, try and overclock it. Do this always and forever, unless, of coarse, you have a POS ecs motherboard. In that case, thank god it runs.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Wow man! That's an awesome setup. Now a couple things:

1. Who knows when that XP2800+ will be actually retailing. The XP2400+ is only starting to now.

2. For top of the line performance, Intel will have that spot. So if you're looking for absolute best performance, then you should look into Intel.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Why not go with a N-force 2 motherboard instead of the the KT400? The N-force 2 has better performance. Also like the previous poster said if you are going for the best performance possible i would get an intel system and overclock like a mofo :).

--------
The only thing i know...

is that i know nothing at all.

Daikaiju

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
I agree with Peter, the Nforce 2 chipset will be much better than the KT400, and by the time the XP2800+ is actually available (earliest estimates are Jan '03) the Nforce 2 boards will also be out. The combination of XP2800+ and Nforce 2 will be awesome, much better than the KT400.
I also agree with Chuck though, for all out top-of-the-line performance, Intel is the one to go for. By the time the XP2800+ is released, the P4 3.06 w/Hyper-Threading will be out and looks like it will pound anything AMD will have on the market at the time by a considerable margin. Of course it will be expensive, but if you want top performance, you have to pay top money..... as always.

TJinsane

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2002
On the subject of the NForce 2, I cant believe I forgot about it. Definitely gonna go with that instead.

On the subject of going with an Intel, Hell no. Reason being Price, while I have enough money for the above system, guestimating between 1500-1750 I dont have an extra 500 for an Intell 3.0, I figure i get a 2800+ and overclock that mother. With water cooling if figure i should be able to get it to run at atleast 2.8Ghz, if not faster.

On a totaly different subject, I was thinking, If its possible, I wanna set up a second water cooling system for the GPU and my harddrives (someone tell me if this is possible)

On yet another subject, is it possible to overclock a Radeon 9700, and does ne 1 know if it will be possible to overclock the new nvidia cards?

On the last subject, i think i forgot to mention that i will be running 1 Gig, 2x 512meg DIMMs, Of DDR333 memory, or DDR400 memory if they ever get the bugs worked out.

If a CPU can be overclocked, try and overclock it. Do this always and forever, unless, of coarse, you have a POS ecs motherboard. In that case, thank god it runs.

GetReal2

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
What's wrong with getting a P4 2,4GHz @ 100 MHz FSB and overclocking it to +3GHz @ 133 MHz FSB. And you can get it now.

I'm I missing something?

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Lian-Li PC70 case
(I'm gonna put a PS2 and gamecube inside :p )
Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra
The first Athlon sporting 166 fsb (I think the 2800+)
ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 when its out
(Gonna Hook the whole thing up to a killer video system)
2 Maxtor 80 Gig ATA 133, already have these (will upgrade 2 SATA)
On board sound, so I dont gotta worry bout that
Probably have the 4 stock 120 mm fans + 2 more 120, mabey a blow whole or 2
WATER KEWLED
I have 4 points about this config:

1) Much money is spent here on cooling. If your that serious about overclocking, then ya might as well spend another $400 and get a phase change cooling setup like the <A HREF="http://www.chip-con.com" target="_new">Chip-Con Prometia</A>.

2) nForce2 is superior to any socket A chipset.

3) AMD 2400+ Thoroughbred-B would be the best cpu choice. Unlock the multiplier - could use an XP unlocking kit available from <A HREF="http://www.highSpeedPC.com" target="_new">HighSpeedPC</A>. Once the multiplier is unlocked, set it to 6. Then increase the FSB to 400MHz. Get some mushkin or corsair DDR400 memory and operate it at 400MHz. In this case, the FSB and Memory are operating synchroneously which will result in minimal latency and the CPU will be operating at 2.4GHz (could go much higher with watercooling or phase change cooling). Lock the PCI/AGP busses to the default frequencies.

4) Overclock the Graphics Card's GPU and memory using powerStrip or your favorite utility.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>