Gaming laptop advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cainman

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
1. What is your budget? $1600

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? I want either 15" or 17"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1600x900 or 1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement, but I will be using it mostly on my lap not on a desk. I won't be travelling with it, but it will just always be used in my living room.

5. How much battery life do you need? I'd like the ability to surf the web without being plugged in, but I fully expect to have to be plugged in to play games.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I want to play most current games at max settings. Diablo 3, MW3, Skyrim, Portal 2, Civ 5 are some of the games I anticipate to have interest in, don't have any currently as I don't have anything capable of playing them on.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Surfing the web and playing games are really the only things I'll use it for.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I don't need much storage at all. Enough to install Windows and a half dozen games. I plan to buy an SSD after purchase and just replace the HDD with that. I really don't use much HDD space.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? I'd like to still be able to play games with my laptop for the next 4 years. That is why I'd like to be able to play current titles on max settings now so that I have room to go down in detail settings as the laptop gets older.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? I don't care about the optical drive. As far as I'm concerned it could have none, but I know every gaming laptop is going to come with at least a dvd burner.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I have been looking mostly at the Asus G series and the Clevo resellers, but that's why I'm here to hear suggestions.

13. What country do you live in? US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Screen quality, heat/noise, and overall build quality are the top things I'm really looking for. I've always gamed on a desktop in the past, but I want this laptop so that I can sit on the couch in the living room and play games while my wife watches tv. So I will be using it almost exclusively on my lap as opposed to sitting at a desk with external peripherials. I don't care about blue ray or 3d at all, as if I want to watch a blu-ray it will be on the blu-ray player and 3d is just a gimmick to me.

Solution
Hello,
personally, I picked up a Sager laptop because I didn't like Asus G series design aesthetically, if you don't mind it or you don't like Clevo cases, there's nothing wrong with Asus G series they are great gaming laptops just like clevos.

The things I can offer you to browse are:
Sager/Clevo NP8150/8170
Asus G54/74
MSI GT780

The suggested hardware is an i7 quad core (at least 2630), at least 8gb ram (DDR3 1333mhz or better) and the best gpu you can afford on your budget anything starting with GTX560m/m6850HD or better.

For pricing see xoticpc.com
it'll give you the features ideas, and pricing, they are a reputable reseller/boutique vendor. If you would not like to buy from them, look around you might find good deals from...
Clevo P180HM - Starts at about $1620
Clevo P170HM - Starts at about $1250
Clevo P150HM - Starts at about $1200

Never heard of Clevo ? ..... that's OK, anybody you have ever heard of most likely didn't build what they sell.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

CLEVO is a large Taiwanese computer company specializing in laptops. While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc. hey are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

Clevo sells the same designs to dozens of "re-branders" including Sager, XoticPC, Eurocom, RJtech, RKC notebooks, Pro-Star, PowerNotebooks, Origin PC, AVAdirect, V3 Gaming PC, Falcon Northwest, CyberPower, iBuyPower, System 76, PC Torque, Puget systems, Vigor Gaming, M-Tech, XTreme Notebooks, Smooth-Creations, MALIBAL, Widow PC, Hypersonic PC systems, Micro Express Computers, Jinco Computers, DevilTech, ChiliGreen, and many many more.
MSI follow similar re-branding practices to Clevo, although on a lesser scale, and also preserve their own MSI brand. Lotus is one MSI re-brander.
Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM
Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
Itautec sells to Siragon, LG, Samsung, Sony
ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, BenQ, and Acer.
Lanix sells to Sony, Compaq, Toshiba, Siragon, Itautec
Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.

Cainman

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I'm already familiar with Clevo as I mentioned I was already considering them.

The A73 is not a gaming notebook.

Anybody have any advice about why the Clevo is better than the Asus G series, or vice versa? Or why you prefer a different brand laptop to the two I've mentioned?

Hello,
personally, I picked up a Sager laptop because I didn't like Asus G series design aesthetically, if you don't mind it or you don't like Clevo cases, there's nothing wrong with Asus G series they are great gaming laptops just like clevos.

The things I can offer you to browse are:
Sager/Clevo NP8150/8170
Asus G54/74
MSI GT780

The suggested hardware is an i7 quad core (at least 2630), at least 8gb ram (DDR3 1333mhz or better) and the best gpu you can afford on your budget anything starting with GTX560m/m6850HD or better.

For pricing see xoticpc.com
it'll give you the features ideas, and pricing, they are a reputable reseller/boutique vendor. If you would not like to buy from them, look around you might find good deals from manufacturer companies directly or discount websites (maybe newegg)

Solution

Cainman

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Antizig - how are the temps and noise levels on your Sager? Is it quiet enough to use playing games sitting right next to someone else that is trying to watch tv? And is it cool enough to leave on your lap for a long time playing games?

Those were basically all the models I was looking at. I had somewhat ignored the MSI, as it seemed a bit more hit or miss on the reviews.

the temps, I was running BF3 at high settings GPU hit 70, cpu was around 67. Idle right now cpu 43, gpu 37. But I don't know how well it will fair on your lap, I have it sitting on a pad, so there's less heat absorption from my legs into the case (and less heat dissipation towards my balls respectively).

noise wise, I have yet to make it run both fans at full speed (without using the keyboard shortcut) so it's pretty quiet. If I do use the shortcut to force both fans to 100%, well it's equivalent of someone having a mild conversation in the room. You can easily watch TV next to this machine. (my old laptop cooler probably will make more noise than this laptop)

Cainman

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Anyone that has the p170hm, did you upgrade the screen or did you stick with the stock? It seems like the reviews that have the LG 17.3" screen say it's not up to par with a laptop of this level. Most of the reviews of the Asus that had the CMO screens or the upgraded AUO screens on the Clevo all seem to get much better reviews. Considering the price on the screen upgrades it seems that will change the balance quite a bit. The p170hm and the base g74 seem very similar on price, but if the stock screen on the Clevo isn't very good than that would make a similar config from Asus cheaper.

Antizig, which Clevo model did you get the 15 or the 17?

Status
Not open for further replies.