namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I've been searching for about an hour, across several forums, and haven't found the answers I'm looking for.

I've had a Pentium II 400 for quite some time now, and finally got around to doing something I've always wanted to do, make it a dual. When I first bought the parts for this computer back in the day, I didn't know I was buying a dual cpu motherboard. I got it in the mail, and was like "What the hell"

Well, many years later I've finally gotten around to throwing in a 2nd. I've built hundreds of thousands (slight stretch) of computers, but never attempted a dual. What would I have to config differently to set up a dual cpu system. Keep in mind, I've never done dual before.

Oh, I'm running Windows 2000 btw.
Thanks

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that if your board is compatible the other CPU should be easy to find. The bad news is that most boards from that era needed an external APIC chip that could be found nowhere. I searched for years and they were ether way too expensive or just not around. I don't think it's gotten any better lately. So don't just go buy the processor.

Complicated proofs are proofs of confusion.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Keeping in mind what the last guy said, what brand/model motherboard is this?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I'm at work right now, gimme about 3 or 4 hours and I'll get the info. Off the top of my head I'd say Asus, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's an Asus, it's probably a P2B-DS, which has all the necessary hardware on board, it's simply a matter of adding another CPU. Not only that, but it's PIII compatable (need revision number to give you more info on that).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Ok, the Asus was my mom's motherboard, this one is a Tyan S1832D. For further model confirmation, it's got 5 pci, 2 isa, and an agp.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have <A HREF="http://www.tyan.com/products/html/a_tiger100.html" target="_new">This Board</A> with all the necessary parts pre-mounted so you can simply add a processor. If it's a Revision F or later board it has the necessary VRM type to support the PIII 1000E (this is the 100MHz bus version) Slot 1 natively ($132 each at Compgeeks), but for now playing with another PII should make you happy!

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Also remember to reinstall Windows 2000 after installing the 2nd CPU, otherwise, it won't be enabled. This is because Windows 2000 has 2 Kernels, one for single CPU systems, and the other for SMP systems, and Windows 2000 installs one or the other during the install.

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Re: "Also remember to reinstall Windows 2000 after installing the 2nd CPU, otherwise, it won't be enabled. This is because Windows 2000 has 2 Kernels, one for single CPU systems, and the other for SMP systems, and Windows 2000 installs one or the other during the install."

WRONG WRONG WRONG

"System Properties" -> "Hardware" tab -> "Device manager" -> Expand "Computer" -> "Properties" -> "Driver" tab -> "Update driver" -> "Display a list of known drivers..." -> pick "ACPI multiprocessor PC" -> reboot

- JW

TRENDING THREADS