traderman

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
I have two PC's one is AMD Athlon 1.3Ghz/512mem PC133 System. The other is PIII 800EB Ghz/ 384mem PC133 System. On either system I have one software program that utilizes 100%CPU as measured by Ram Idle utility program. Memory usage is O.K. If I upgraded to a PIV or Athlon XP am I likely to get a lower CPU% usage by way of architecture or whatever technology is different in the new CPU's? The software does not even have to actually run, but even when it is launched either CPU goes to 100% and stays there. Without knowing the software, any guesses on CPU performance? If an upgrade would likely help, XP or PIV?

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Your not making yourself to clear.....

Heres a few questions for you....
Do either systems run or seem to run slow??
Are you having any problems with the systems??

Just so you know just because a program tell u theres 100% CPU Utilization does not mean the computer is too slow....
Download and Install Motherboard Monitor 5 from <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download/MBM5200.EXE" target="_new">HERE</A> and set up all the sensors accordingly INCLUDING the CPU Usage meter.......also check windows Task Manager IF your running Windows NT, 2000 or XP and check the processes which are in use and it will show you what programs are taking up the CPU or using large amounts of ram....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

traderman

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
I have never before had this problem until using this software. this problem ONLY happens when I run the one
software program.
What I would like to know is - what would be your opinion
on the best CPU to upgrade to. I read several other threads
that mentioned motherboards that will let you use either
SDRAM or DDR Ram. This sounds like a good interim solution,
as I would prefer not to upgrade to DDR Ram right now, but
I do like the flexibility to upgrade to that later.
So , considering one of those motherboards , what CPU would
you recommend to help with this problem?
Thanks to all repondents!

TRENDING THREADS