New computer: how to get to the administrative account on ..

My sister in law just bought a Dell computer and following the instructions
on the manual they ended up with 4 accounts on windows XP.
She has called me to help her create her DSL connection over the phone but
somehow when she logs on to any of the users there's no access to the
Control Panel where she would find the Network Connections so we can create
a new connection using the XP wizard.
I have Windows XP but with just one user/administrator. I have never created
a separate user than the administrator account so I am not sure if she
doesn't have access to the Control Panel because she has several accounts or
because it's a Dell customized Start menu and it doesn't give access to the
control panel through the usual Control Panel link....
Can anybody shed some light on this issue? How can she get to the Network
Connections windowso she can add a new connection?

Thanks in advance,

FayeC
5 answers Last reply
More about computer administrative account

    "FayeC" <fayec_nospam@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > My sister in law just bought a Dell computer and following the
    > instructions
    > on the manual they ended up with 4 accounts on windows XP.
    > She has called me to help her create her DSL connection over the phone but
    > somehow when she logs on to any of the users there's no access to the
    > Control Panel where she would find the Network Connections so we can
    > create
    > a new connection using the XP wizard.
    > I have Windows XP but with just one user/administrator. I have never
    > created
    > a separate user than the administrator account so I am not sure if she
    > doesn't have access to the Control Panel because she has several accounts
    > or
    > because it's a Dell customized Start menu and it doesn't give access to
    > the
    > control panel through the usual Control Panel link....
    > Can anybody shed some light on this issue? How can she get to the Network
    > Connections windowso she can add a new connection?

    The first account they created should have had Admin privileges.
    From the login screen have her press and holt the CTL and ALT keys and while
    holding them press [Delete] twice.
    This should bring up a loging box with the Admins name in it, try the
    password for the first account they created.

    Oh boy......
    So there's no way for her to access the Control Panel from the users'
    accounts?
    I am new to setting users on a Windows XP platform but she is new to
    computers in general.....
    Chances are she'll get this computer messed up really fast....
    I will get her to try accessing the administrative account and then can she
    delete the other users so she doesn't have the same problem again?

    Thanks for the prompt answer :)

    FayeC

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

    > "FayeC" <fayec_nospam@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > > My sister in law just bought a Dell computer and following the
    > > instructions
    > > on the manual they ended up with 4 accounts on windows XP.
    > > She has called me to help her create her DSL connection over the phone
    but
    > > somehow when she logs on to any of the users there's no access to the
    > > Control Panel where she would find the Network Connections so we can
    > > create
    > > a new connection using the XP wizard.
    > > I have Windows XP but with just one user/administrator. I have never
    > > created
    > > a separate user than the administrator account so I am not sure if she
    > > doesn't have access to the Control Panel because she has several
    accounts
    > > or
    > > because it's a Dell customized Start menu and it doesn't give access to
    > > the
    > > control panel through the usual Control Panel link....
    > > Can anybody shed some light on this issue? How can she get to the
    Network
    > > Connections windowso she can add a new connection?
    > >

    > The first account they created should have had Admin privileges.
    > From the login screen have her press and holt the CTL and ALT keys and
    while
    > holding them press [Delete] twice.
    > This should bring up a loging box with the Admins name in it, try the
    > password for the first account they created.

    Oh..I forgot to mention that She logged on to the first account created
    while I was on the phone with her and that's when she clicked on Start and
    there was no access (visible menu item) to Control Panel like you would have
    on a normal installation.

    FayeC

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

    > "FayeC" <fayec_nospam@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > > My sister in law just bought a Dell computer and following the
    > > instructions
    > > on the manual they ended up with 4 accounts on windows XP.
    > > She has called me to help her create her DSL connection over the phone
    but
    > > somehow when she logs on to any of the users there's no access to the
    > > Control Panel where she would find the Network Connections so we can
    > > create
    > > a new connection using the XP wizard.
    > > I have Windows XP but with just one user/administrator. I have never
    > > created
    > > a separate user than the administrator account so I am not sure if she
    > > doesn't have access to the Control Panel because she has several
    accounts
    > > or
    > > because it's a Dell customized Start menu and it doesn't give access to
    > > the
    > > control panel through the usual Control Panel link....
    > > Can anybody shed some light on this issue? How can she get to the
    Network
    > > Connections windowso she can add a new connection?
    > >

    > The first account they created should have had Admin privileges.
    > From the login screen have her press and holt the CTL and ALT keys and
    while
    > holding them press [Delete] twice.
    > This should bring up a loging box with the Admins name in it, try the
    > password for the first account they created.

    She already messed it up. There is no way she followed the screen prompts
    correctly. If so she would have only one account. She may have to do a
    system restore to fix it. F11 at boot.

    > Oh boy......
    > So there's no way for her to access the Control Panel from the users'
    > accounts?
    > I am new to setting users on a Windows XP platform but she is new to
    > computers in general.....
    > Chances are she'll get this computer messed up really fast....
    > I will get her to try accessing the administrative account and then can
    > she
    > delete the other users so she doesn't have the same problem again?
    >
    > Thanks for the prompt answer :)
    >
    > FayeC
    >
    > "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "FayeC" <fayec_nospam@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >> > My sister in law just bought a Dell computer and following the
    >> > instructions
    >> > on the manual they ended up with 4 accounts on windows XP.
    >> > She has called me to help her create her DSL connection over the phone
    > but
    >> > somehow when she logs on to any of the users there's no access to the
    >> > Control Panel where she would find the Network Connections so we can
    >> > create
    >> > a new connection using the XP wizard.
    >> > I have Windows XP but with just one user/administrator. I have never
    >> > created
    >> > a separate user than the administrator account so I am not sure if she
    >> > doesn't have access to the Control Panel because she has several
    > accounts
    >> > or
    >> > because it's a Dell customized Start menu and it doesn't give access to
    >> > the
    >> > control panel through the usual Control Panel link....
    >> > Can anybody shed some light on this issue? How can she get to the
    > Network
    >> > Connections windowso she can add a new connection?
    >> >

    >> The first account they created should have had Admin privileges.
    >> From the login screen have her press and holt the CTL and ALT keys and
    > while
    >> holding them press [Delete] twice.
    >> This should bring up a loging box with the Admins name in it, try the
    >> password for the first account they created.

    If she is using XP home and did not create a password for the Administrator
    account, it is just a hidden account and can be accessed by booting to safe
    mode (if she is not using the classic logon scheme). When she boots to safe
    mode, the administrator account will show up. She can log in to that account
    and change the others to accounts with admin priveleges.

    "FayeC" <fayec_nospam@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > My sister in law just bought a Dell computer and following the
    > instructions
    > on the manual they ended up with 4 accounts on windows XP.
    > She has called me to help her create her DSL connection over the phone but
    > somehow when she logs on to any of the users there's no access to the
    > Control Panel where she would find the Network Connections so we can
    > create
    > a new connection using the XP wizard.
    > I have Windows XP but with just one user/administrator. I have never
    > created
    > a separate user than the administrator account so I am not sure if she
    > doesn't have access to the Control Panel because she has several accounts
    > or
    > because it's a Dell customized Start menu and it doesn't give access to
    > the
    > control panel through the usual Control Panel link....
    > Can anybody shed some light on this issue? How can she get to the Network
    > Connections windowso she can add a new connection?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > FayeC

Dell Control Panel Computer Windows XP Computers