Sign in with
Your question

First ever Lockup, CPU to blame?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 23, 2002 3:14:56 PM

Hi, today when I came to switch on my computer it got to the mem counting (first bios screen) screen and then froze just before it detected the IDE drives. I tried switching my comp off at the mains, same thing. I then tried restarting my comp whilst it was on. I got no video signal and after about 5 seconds a stream of individual beeps ( NOT one long beep). Does anyone know what this warning represents? After this I reseated both my CPU and my RAM, it worked so im not sure what it was. I would just like to know incase I ever get this error beeping message again. BTW, does it matter that I installed an LCD monitor yesterday (via VGA), or doesnt this make any difference...

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....

More about : lockup cpu blame

October 23, 2002 3:50:30 PM

You have to understand that vibration can knock things loose. Even for just a little bit can cause that problem. Do you have lots of fans and is your case shaking? if it is then i recommend you take some fans out. Otherwise you'll continue with this problem probably once a year.

If you don't have any fans and just a normal setup another thing that could have happend is that somehow something got knocked lose a little.

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
October 23, 2002 7:04:52 PM

Ok, I get that it was just vibration, so I now know that if this happens again, itll prob be something inside the case, probably either ram or vid card (most likely in my case). Thx sk8er

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....
October 23, 2002 11:54:18 PM

Well done. Allways blame the cpu first.
The ram or video card is MUCH more likely to work its way loose or have bad contacts than the cpu.

<b>And if you gaze for long into Toms Hardware Forums, The Forum gazes also into you! :eek:  </b>
!