amosstar

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002
A few months I bought a Dell 4500 with a P4 1.6 and kind of souped it up with total of 100gb drive space, removed original 128mb and popped in 512mb ram, installed a Xtasy Ti500 Geforce 3, and high end Creative labs Soundblaster. Lately Dell has great deals on new Dimension 4500's which I have been scooping up for clients. I am very tempted to get one for myself...basically its a P4 2.4 and of course I could take parts from my P4 1.6 and pop them into the new PC. I am just wondering if its worth the time or should I just stick with the P4 1.6 for now? I hate dismantling! Now I know most of you like to build custom systems...I have a couple of custom systems. I am not a heavy gamer or anything like that...just an IT consultant that dabbles in web design and goofy things like that.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Intel is about to release the 3.06 with Hyperthreading the second week of November at Comdex. Chip prices are about to drop again. If you can hold off till then you will get a better deal on a faster machine.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

eden

Champion
This might have a 20% success ratio, but could you try and see if you could overclock it, if it's a Northwood with an OCable mobo?
You could squeeze some MHZ through FSB ramping.

--
I guess I just see the world from a fisheye. -Eden

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only way he could overclock that board is with the Hardware mods on <A HREF="http://www.crashmania.tk" target="_new">MY SITE</A>

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
There are no Dell Dimension 4500 with 1.6Gs I don't think...

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Acutally, the Dimension line went through a lot of change.

There was intially the:

Dimension 8100 P4 w/ RDRAM - which I got
Dimension 4100 P4 w/ SDRAM - crappy, plain crappy

Then there was the:

Dimension 8200 P4 NW IIRC w/ RDRAM
Dimension 4300 P4 w/ PC2100 DDR RAM

Then now there's:

Dimension 8200 P4 w/ RDRAM
Dimension 8250 P4 w/ PC1066 RDRAM
Dimension 4550 P4 w/ PC2700 DDR RAM

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
If you are not into heavy games then what is keeping your system from being better? Maybe nothing.

For non gamers the difference between a 1ghz/pc2100/7200rpm system and a 2.4ghz/pc3500/7200rpm system may not even be noticeable. Keep your OS lean, your hard drive defragged and not-too-full and you are good to go.

John A

eden

Champion
Actually IIRC they simply switch the system speccs but keep such number model. Often the Dell 8100 is the high-end system, and had feature 1.7s 2s and higher. Model numbers are probably to represent the value/performance class level.

--

amosstar

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002
U hit it on the head. Its mostly psychological....having the latest and greatest type of thing. I think I have decided to stick with what I have and upgrade later sometime. I'd rather build myself something...I dig those ThermalTake cases with lights and stuff.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
No, the 4550 uses the 845PE chipset and DDR333 instead of the 845E chipset and DDR266 IIRC.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, one of my neighbors bought a system like that. It was slower than their old system. I laughed in their faces.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
Did he complain yet?
And if so, did he realize the idea of perhaps listening to someone who knows better than him?

Man SDRAM really puts a huge dent and makes a difference in even general OS usage!

--

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Funny story, the girl works for a disabled computer geek. She said she was so tired of hearing about computers that she didn't even want to listen to talk about specific parts. Instead she decided to call Dell, and simply tell them what they planned on <i>using</i> the computer for. Dell would know more than any of US about what parts they needed, they wouldn't be paying extra for stuff they didn't need, just the right computer for them at the right price for them...hmm, I smell something rotten..

Anyway, they ended up with a P4 1.3 with SDRAM and an ATI Rage 128. For $1100. They told me the PIII 1000 gaming system I would have sold them for a couple hundred less would have been "too slow".

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Oh yeah, my 1.4G and RDRAM are whooping I tell you!

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
LMAO.

For those kinda people, MHz + GB = performance, period. How immensely stupid people are to believe that I don't know.

I can understand people who are not technically literate, and don't blame them for not having the right skills, but I never understand why people ignore perfectly good advice and help from those who ARE technically literate.

-Col.Kiwi

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, they did notice it was a little "slow" in games. So they'll probably get another one with a P4 2.4GHz and Intel EXTREME GRAPHICS.

Kauaihustler

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I have a Dell 4500S 2gb ram and the stock 1.8 P4 processor with a 7200 200 GB HD. I purchased a 2.8 P4 Northwood for like 12 bucks on Ebay. After installing this CPU with thermal paste, the Bios and CPU-Z clock the cpu at 1.6 Ghz. No matter what tests I do, the CPU core speed stays right at 1.6. Anyone know why ?

CPU-Z lists the CPU as Northwood brand 8/ tech 0.13 um/ no core voltage listing/ Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80 Ghz/ core speed 1.6 Ghz/ multiplier x12/ bus sp 133 Mhz/ FSB 533 Mhz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.