From 700 to 2400? I want one..!!

Artanis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
I have a 700Mhz Duron Processor. I play a lot of games on my comp, and lately I cant play the newest games on high resolutions anymore.
My plan was to get a Athlon at around 1800-2000 XP.
Well, I dont have the money...!

Now I hear something about BIOS updates. My Motherboard supports up to 950Mhz. Says so in the Booklet.
With an Update I could run much higher CPU speeds.
This friend of my tells me I could run 2400XP's on my board.
That sounds a little high, but it would be extremely good if I could run...lets say an Athlon XP 1600 or something on it...

My motherboard is a Chaintech 7AJA-100. It says that the board supports 950Mhz, and ABOVE...
So how does this Bios Update work?

Artanis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
Not sure what ure asking.
Does this help?

CPU INFO
CENTRAL PROCESSING UNITS
Manufacturer AMD
Family Duron(tm)
Internal Clock 795 MHz
Internal Clock Maximum 795 MHz
External Clock 114 MHz
Socket Designation Slot A
Type <unknown>
Upgrade Slot 1
Capabilities MMX, CMov, RDTSC, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!
Version AMD Duron(TM)
CPUID 0x00000631

Or do you want info on my MB ?

eden

Champion
Heh, yeah for the MB, sorry had you go search for that!

Hm...your system clock is weird, did you overclock your system to a 114MHZ bus?

--
I guess I just see the world from a fisheye. -Eden

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, you cannot run any kind of XP processor at the proper speed, your chipset doesn't support the proper bus speed. The fastest you can use is the 1400 with 100MHz bus (DDR200 bus). Even the 1400 with 133 bus (DDR266) wouldn't run at full speed, unless you unlocked the multiplier.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Artanis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
Well, I dont know where to see that. Lemme do my best.
There is a little sticker on my MB that says:

7AJA0\100-E100A
UA9955-2 V4.0
09/19/2000 4807

Artanis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
Damn. I guess thats because of the big change from a below 1Ghz to an XP system. I guess I'll have to get a new motherboard then.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I think your motherboard is a slot motherboard and the 950Mhz Duron is the fastest slot CPU u can get. And slot CPU's will be quite hard to find nowadays.

Correct me if I'm wrong abot anything.

Why use windows when you can use doors?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, it's because the chipset was defective. Originally intended to run at 133MHz bus speed (DDR266), it wouldn't. But it could run the memory at that speed, so they kept the name KT133. VIA corrected this design problem and released the KT133A chipset soon afterward, which CAN run XP processors. Heck, you can't even run the 133MHz bus version of the Athlon 1000 at full speed (unless you unlock the multiplier), you would need the 100MHz bus version instead. Not much to do with age, just a crappy chipset.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Hey the BX can only run at 100 FSB, that must be crappy too eh.....

J/K Crash, I know how much you like that chipset :D

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Haha, the BX can run WELL OVER 150MHz, even though it was designed for 100MHz. And the KT133 can't even run 133MHz, even though it was intended to!

So what we have here is a comparison of a chipset that exceeds it's design spec (BX) compared to a chipset that can't even meet it's design spec (KT133). And the fact that the much OLDER chipset actually clocks much higher than the much newer chipset. Heck, if you want to nit pick, even the crappy Apollo Pro could run 133MHz, it's made by the same company as the crappy KT133, and it's older also! Sounds like the KT133 was simply a failure, even by VIA standards. Yet it was a success in the market place, only because of the limited options available for Athlons at the time.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, not all BX boards were adjustable. And the PIII never really was cheap. And the PII was SO badly outdated. But you could have kept it as an ultra reliable backup system.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Get a AXP 1700+ retail for $73. Underclock it to 1100 MHz, it will run all current gamnes. When you have money, buy a DDR mobo and some DDR RAM.

What Audio Compression Technology you use for storing music? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25137#25137" target="_new"> Tell Here</A>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Get a 1600xp for $53. Watch <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/column/01q4/011124/index.html" target="_new">Second THG Video: Unlocking The Athlon XP/MP.</A>. Learn how to do further modifications if your board doesn't support multiplier adjustment. Set multiplier 12.5. Set FSB to 115. Most crappy boards will do at least 115 and PCI of 38 isn't that bad. 1427mhz ~ xp1600. Should be close to heat and speed of normal xp1600.

Recursion - I curse then I recurse again and again

G

Do yourself a favor, and get a ECS K7S5A for little more than $50. It will take your SDRAM and will run any Ahlon XP. Upgrade to DDR Ram later if you feel the need. I wouldnt bother with underclocking an Athlon XP, or trying to unlock it, especially with the crappy motherboard you have now. Its not worth the trouble, the risk, and the chances of instability because of the overclock. Besides, Im not sure you'll find a BIOS for that board that supports the Athlon XP at all(wouldnt make sense, since all AXPs require a 133/266 fsb). $55 is small price to pay for running everything in spec, not having to try to unlock your cpu, getting "maximum" performance out of your new cpu, and still have an upgrade path (a good chance you'll be able to drop in a 3000+ Barton one day). Besides, $55 for the motherboard and $52 for the cpu (XP1600), that is one major upgrade for not even $110 !

Other question, what graphic card do you have ? If you have a TNT2 or something, just a new cpu/mb wont do it.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

G

Here is a good link for you:
<A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=45000228" target="_new"> Aces AXP test & upgrade advice </A>
Neatly matches your situation. I think its fair to say the ECS board I suggested performs on par with a KT266, although Aces didnt test with SDRAM (which I suppose you have).

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
yes i think the ECS board would be a wise investment. I have built several systems with it without problems, though i DO NOT recommend getting it if you want to overclock.

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
From what I heard, the ECS lower end models have trouble clocking higher due to voltage issues. I'd get KT266A boards or higher from them.

--
The worst of enemies shall be prone to later be the best of friends. -Eden

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
what do you mean by higher?
Most of the systems i have built with the K7S5A were Duron based, but my friend runs an 1800+ just fine. However, I'm not sure how it would handle a 2400+, but I would assume it could handle all the 266FSB chips.

eden

Champion
I remember many people having power problems when attempting to use CPUs over 1.4GHZ on these boards, seems there was some problem with the regulators.
I still would recommend an ECS board, but it has to be KT266A or above, not a K7S5A, the suspect of this problem.

--
The worst of enemies shall be prone to later be the best of friends. -Eden

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Im not trying to argue, but i don't remember hearing about that. You wouldn't happen to have a link would you?