Did I make the right purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahhyep

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
All I really care about is playing Diablo 3 with somewhat fluid fps. This laptop is replacing my desktop. I honestly prefer a laptop over a desktop for multiple reasons as the games I play are either outdated (warcraft 3) or meant to be played satisfactorily on a wide range of systems.

I have narrowed my choices two different computers and I am leaning towards the computer with the worse graphics card because it is just a nicer computer and a better value.

First laptop - Dell 15z Laptop; the thinnest 15 inch windows laptop on the market.
- Core i5 2410M (2.3GHz)
- 6 GB DDR3
- 500GB 7200 rpm hard drive
- 1366x768 Resolution (I could have got a 1080p res instead but I think 720p is fine for a 15 inch laptop)
- GeForce 525mb 1GB - 96 cores, 600mhz core clock, DDR3 (i think, might be GDDR5)
- 8 hour battery life, 0.97 inches thick
- comes with a 1 year warranty
- 530$ (coupon stacking and other wizardry)

Second Laptop - Lenovo Ideapad y570
- Core i5 2410M (2.3GHz)
- 6 GB DDR3
- 750GB 5400 rpm hard drive
- 1366x768 Resolution
- GeForce 555mb 1GB LENOVO EDITION (not as good as a regular 555m) - 96 cores, 753mhz core clock, GDDR5
- 3.5 hour battery life, 1.5 inches thick
- comes with a 30 day return policy only
- 730$

Weighing the pros and cons, and for playing Diablo 3, did I make the right choice purchasing the 15z?

Solution
Given the price difference I would say you made the right choice out of the two.
When it comes to the GPU I wouldn't put too much thought into it, in-fact since it's not like you expect to play a modern game with all the bells and whistles on a laptop to begin with choosing a lesser powered GPU will easily expand battery life.

When it comes to the hard-drive I am sure you decided that 500GB of space is enough for you and you are likely right. So the fact that you also went with a faster one is always a plus.

For Diablo 3 I think it is safe to say you will be able to at-least on medium settings.
So I think you will have a perfectly enjoyable time on it on that laptop.

ahhyep

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Well yea, what do you think about the difference in the graphics cards. Obviously I would like to have the 555m in the other laptop but that's not an option. Is the 555m lenovo-mfg a ton better than the 525? I'm a little upset the 15z doesn't come with a better card

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
525m is not that bad a card, i can get it to run most games admirably.

On paper at least the 555m you are talking about is only just slightly better then the 525m due to its higher clock. 525m got 96core as well. A true 555m may be better but the Lenovo version isn't worth the extra money.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Given the price difference I would say you made the right choice out of the two.
When it comes to the GPU I wouldn't put too much thought into it, in-fact since it's not like you expect to play a modern game with all the bells and whistles on a laptop to begin with choosing a lesser powered GPU will easily expand battery life.

When it comes to the hard-drive I am sure you decided that 500GB of space is enough for you and you are likely right. So the fact that you also went with a faster one is always a plus.

For Diablo 3 I think it is safe to say you will be able to at-least on medium settings.
So I think you will have a perfectly enjoyable time on it on that laptop.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.