building new computer....

toss5000

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
I have been planning on building a new computer for a few weeks now. I had originally planned on waiting for the XP 2800 and the nforce2, but the Intel camp is starting to look better and better. Most of the stuff I had been researching was all Athlon based, so I don't know much about Pentium based systems. Could anyone recomend a good chipset or a chipset that is coming out fairly soon for a top of the line pentium system. RDRAM seems to be the way to go for top of the line. I just don't know much about the chipsets.

- - - -
Kill a man and you're a murderer;
Kill many and you're a conquerer;
Kill 'em all and you're a god.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Toss5000 on 11/01/02 11:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
i850E is the currently available only RDRAM chipset. Supports PC1066 RDRAM.

Submit your opinions and comment in my latest poll [http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25600#25600] What is Bangladesh [/url]

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
i850E. SiS released the 658, but the i850E outperforms it. A good i850E board is the Gigabyte GA-8IHXP. It supports bus speeds to 158MHz (632MHz if you go by QDR numbers). If you want ultra high bus speeds, Aopen has boards that will support 248MHz bus speeds see the AX4T II-133 as an example. The Gigabyte board comes with better features.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

toss5000

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Thanks for the responses. One more question though, if I decide to wait for HT in the 3Ghz+ processors, will there be new chipsets out? And I havn't found any articles that preview upcoming chipsets, but are VIA or SiS planning on releasing future RDRAM chipsets in the near future. Around when HT surfaces.

- - - -
Kill 'em all and you're a god.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I have a feeling that the SiS 655 chipset with a HT P4 is going to be da bomb. That's what I'm waiting for. 2 more weeks if Intel stays on target.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SiS has the 658 for RDRAM, it stinks. The i850 supports hyperthreading and probably has 99% of the performance RDRAM has to offer.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

toss5000

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Ok, so it seems i850 is the way to go. Do you think its worth it to wait for hyperthreading, or should I just buy a 2.8Ghz right now?

- - - -

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know, how long can you wait?

The SiS 655 chipset will be available before the 3.06GHz P4. You might find that by the time your CPU is avaiable you have better motherboard options.

leedz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
HTT needs supports of sortwares,or the performance will down.But it seems there are a few softwares to support it.
The 3.06ghz processor will be put on sale on 14th,Nov.

toss5000

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
I see, guess I'll wait for the HT benchmarks. Anyone know if THG will have benchmarks before that release date?

- - - -

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
LOL, who knows. But if you've got WinXP, you should be pretty safe running HT enabled at all times. WinXP is supposed to be the most optimized for HT.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...