New computer opinions...

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
hello everyone, i would like to post a configuration of what i plan to order for a friend of mine based on what was good over the summer. Since i've been back at school however i haven't really had time to keep up with the latest stuff. This computer is for someone who will be listening to music, watching videos, and using it for general work. The budget is around $1000.........this is what i've come up with so far. The main thing i need help with is the mobo/ram/cpu configuration.

RAM: 512mb samsung pc2700 $150

CPU: AMD athlon xp 2100+ $132

MOBO: Epox EP-8K9A KT400 chipset $85

VID CARD: Leadtek winfast geforce4 ti4200 64mb $140

SOUND CARD: Creative labs sound blaster audigy OEM $60

HD: WD 80gb 8mb cache $116

DVD DRIVE: Toshiba 16x $48

CD/RW: Plextor 40x $113

CASE: ANTEC SOLUTION SERIES MODEL SLK3700AMB w/ANTEC SMART POWER 350W P4/AMD POWER SUPPLY ATX12V - RETAIL $73

So that's it, what do you guys think? Thanks for your opinions.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Everything looks okay to me, but I'd probably use something like a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz instead of a Creative Labs Soubd Blaster Audigy, especially if you're going OEM.

Well, that and I'd get a slot-loading DVD player because I just like them a lot more than tray loaders. ;) It's the little things in life...

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
looks good dude,
i built something similar recently but i scrimped on the CPU - i got an XP1800. It's only 200Mhz slower than the 2100 at stock speed.
My thinking is that when (IF!!) the athlons with 166FSB come out i can get one of those and i wont have wasted too much cash on this processor...

How much is a XP1800 where you are?

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
hey guys, thanks for your opinions, in fact i have a pioneer slot loading dvd player myself, but unfortunately they're sold out at new egg :( As for the sound card, i've heard good and bad things about the audigy, why would you recommend against it, i'm currentlly have a game theatre xp 6.1 and it beats the [-peep-] out of creative, but it's also $130. To answer the other question, you can get an 1800+ for around $85 at newegg. Also, i have not heard much about the KT400 chipset, does it have any flaws? Is there any reason that i should get something else over it. I know i've had some usb problems with some expox boards although i am not sure why, is there any other motherboard that you guys would recommend? thanks.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
save 47 bucks on an xp1800 and get a gf4 ti4400 instead ??

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've just heard a lot of bad experiences with Audigy and Live cards, both from Creative, to go along with the good experiences. Usually these seem to be around VIA chipsets, though not always. I just figure, why take the chance? If it was an Intel system with an Intel chipset I'd say go for it. With your system though, I'd just be a little more careful is all.

I used to love Creative Labs. I went right out and got an ISA SoundBlaster AWE 32 when they first came out, and it was the best sound card I'd ever had. (Even to this day I suppose, but then I'm currently using onboard sound, so that's hardly impressive.) Heck, to date it's still a pretty good card all considered.

But lately Creative has been a disappointment for a number of people. It makes one wonder if they're having problems with quality control or something...

Anywho, the KT400 is pretty much the best. Just don't try to run DDR400 on it. DDR333 is the way to go. Maybe in the future there will be a KT400a or the nForce2 will prove to be better in production than it was in prototype, but for now you're on the right track.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
Great system. You can spend less and get something imperceptively different though.

If you are hooked on surround sound then yeah you need 4.1 but if not just use the mobo on board sound with two good speakers and save on the card. I do that and the sound is awesome. It always comes down to the speakers.

That 4200 looks a little overpriced

athlon 2000 is the bangforthebuck leader in that range.

Use pricewatch.com to check your price competitiveness.

John A

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Get AXP 2000+. Consider very little performace loss and save good ammount of money.

Submit your opinions and comment in my latest poll <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25600#25600" target="_new"> What is Bangladesh </A>

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
alright guys, looks like i have my list finalized. I'll be getting mostly everything that's on the original list. I'm gonna stick with the 2100+ only because $30 isn't that big of a difference and i'd rather use something with a marginally higher longevity since the hammer and subsequent processors will soon make all of this obsolete. Also, instead of the audigy i am going to go with the turtle beach santa cruz, as the only advantage audigy will have over this card is EAX. The last part thati am dwelling on is the motherboard. I've stuck with asus in the past, but have built my last 2 computers with epox boards only because of asus's problems with the a7v333. I'm pretty sure epox is the way to go( except for the usb problem which hopefully is corrected in the KT400 version)but would like to know if you can give me a good enough reason to with something else over epox, if not than i'll be ordering this stuff shortly..........oh and one last thing, do you think the retail heatsink is ehough for the 2100+ with arctic silver, or should i invest in a more hefty one. The only experience i have is with the swiftech mcx462 and the alpha pal 8045, the big boys. But i'm guessing that it will be overkill in this case, what do you think?

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
so i was just browsing the net looking at different motherboards and realized that Asus has in fact released a motherboard with the KT400 chipset. I stumbled upon it at newegg and it was recommended by sharky extreme:

ASUS A7V8X LAN, Firewire IEEE1394, Serial ATA w/ RAID DDR400 AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Socket A, Processor Mother Board -Retail
Specifications:
Socket A - AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/ Duron
Chipsets: VIA KT400/8235
FSB: 333/266/200 MHz
3 x DDR DIMM PC3200/2700/2100/1600 (DDR400/333/266) non ECC SDRAM
Serial ATA
Firewire IEEE1394
LAN 10-100Mbs Network card
Ports: 1 x AGP, 6 x PCI, 6 x USB 2.0
Realtek 6-channel CODEC

$135

anyone heard anything about this. If i do get this than i won't have to get a NIC and i might not even get a sound card depending on how good the onboard audio is. what do you think?

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Sorry to tell you but I would not buy any mobo based on KT400. Please wait until the KT400<b>A</b>. That will be around December.

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
unfortunately i do not have that luxury, i need to get this thing built as soon as possible. It's for a friend of mine who needs immediate use of a computer for work. I think i'm gonna go with the asus board, it seems to perform rather well, and the person who i am building it for is not going to care about a few percent performance increase when the KT400a comes out.....unless there's a flaw that will cause compatability problems or instability with the KT400.

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Ok.
In that case I would go for ASUS A7V333 (KT333) to save some money.

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
or MSI KT3 Ultra 2 (this one officially supports XP 2600+)

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
what's the point in getting a KT333 chipset when i can get the KT400 with firewire, usb 2.0, serial ATA all for not that big of a price difference.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
what's the point in getting a KT333 chipset when i can get the KT400 with firewire, usb 2.0, serial ATA all for not that big of a price difference.
That would be my question too. I think you've got a good setup going, and the retail heat sink with Actic Silver should do just fine if you're not going to overclock.