Sign in with
Your question

Best laptop for web design and programming plz help!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 5, 2011 1:15:44 AM

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if you guys would mind help me in finding the perfect laptop for me to buy.
I would really appreciate your help since I am totally clueless. I am not as knowledgeable as you guys so I really appreciate some help. Thanks.

I want to buy a laptop and I have been saving all summer and so far I have $1500 for it. I mainly would use this laptop for web page development. Meaning I would like to be able to use the adobe suite with no slow down (Photoshop, Dreamweaver….) moreover, I’ll be doing some programming on it; right now I am using MS Visual Studio (VB.net, C#...) and in the summer I’ll be taking PHP, SQL and ASP.NET at school.

In short, I want this laptop for programming and web designing purposes, photo and video editing. I understand that a desktop would be better however I can’t buy one because I am constantly moving. So I need a laptop.

About the size of the laptop I like a 14’’ but I am open to other options.

About screen resolution I don’t know really about this and which would be better, good battery life would be great, I won’t be playing games on this laptop.

I need good storage. About the optical drive I think DVD+/-RW, CD+/-RW, and DVD-RAM) would be ok. I dont think i need more.

I don’t have a store in mind or site to buy from so any recommendation is welcome.

Right now I have a Toshiba satellite M115 – S3094 what I like about this computer is the size but I cant do any of my work here when I go to program it becomes very slow; besides it has 5 years now so it is old need an urgent replacement.

A brand that I like is Toshiba because is the one that use nowadays but I am open to new recommendations. I live in NJ - United States

Well as you guys can see I don’t much about computers so I really appreciate some suggestions to find a perfect laptop. Thanks.
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2011 3:31:03 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=P...

Every laptop in there will be good for your purpose. I select for FHD screen because you may want that for graphics, video editing and web design.

However, many of them are gaming laptop (well the price you are willing to pay, you will get good performance so you inevitability run into the gaming laptop sector). Apart from ASUS N53 and N55. But the N53 has a weaker gpu and the N55 has a weaker gpu as well and quite expensive (low performance to price ratio). I just hope you don't mind the gaming laptop look.
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
November 5, 2011 3:45:30 PM

Hello cathy_25;

Your Satellite M115 has an on-screen resolution of 1280x800. Is that enough on-screen workspace for you? And is the color accuracy OK for your Photoshop, Dreamweaver needs?

The standard 14" laptop resolution now would be 1366x768? But I think you really use a higher resolution 1600x900 screen.
On a 15" laptop you can get a screen resolution of 1920x1080.

A Toshiba business class 14" laptop:
Toshiba Tecra $1400 R840
Core i7-2620M 2.70 GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200rpm HDD, 14" 1600x900 LCD w/ Radeon HD 6470 graphics card.
~4.2lbs, 7+hr battery life and a matte (anti-glare) LCD screen
Tecra R840-S8450 webpage
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2011 3:47:36 PM

Lenovo ThinkPad T series ( T in model names ) are very solid and great. Actually they are kinda IBM.
ThinkPad T410 has a vary models but they say preferable laptops for engineers are mostly ThinkPads.

And if you want to search buy yourself CNET reviews are very good, Here check/unCheck options for yourself and see the results and ratings... and one more thing is trying a 9-Cell battery also is more better than regular 6-Cells:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptop-reviews/?sa=1000036#filt...
m
l
!