internal bluetooth card for D600

Anyone know where I might be able to get an internal bluetooth card for
a Dell Latitude D600? Apparently they were optional and mine didn't
come with one. The name of it seems to be Truemobile 300 which also is
used for a compact flash adaptor for PDAs.
17 answers Last reply
More about internal bluetooth card d600

    Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >Anyone know where I might be able to get an internal bluetooth card for
    >a Dell Latitude D600? Apparently they were optional and mine didn't
    >come with one. The name of it seems to be Truemobile 300 which also is
    >used for a compact flash adaptor for PDAs.

    It's either a U5136 (on the factory invoice) or a 1U746 (from spare
    parts?) part number.

    Please let me know if you find it, and what it costs. Installation is
    non-trivial (remove the keyboard, remove the display (yes, really),
    remove the palm rest, and it's right there... 8*) but fairly
    straightforward.

    Mine just died, and _then_ they told me I had mail-it-back (and be
    without my computer for 3-5 days) service, so I'm doing the swap
    myself.

    If it's easy and not too expensive, I might add it to my wife's
    machine...

    >Mine just died, and _then_ they told me I had mail-it-back (and be
    >without my computer for 3-5 days) service, so I'm doing the swap
    >myself.

    The bluetooth module isn't broken, its the connector on the
    motherboard. You'll have to replace the board... A well-known problem
    on D600.

    Henning <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote:
    >>Mine just died, and _then_ they told me I had mail-it-back (and be
    >>without my computer for 3-5 days) service, so I'm doing the swap
    >>myself.

    >The bluetooth module isn't broken, its the connector on the
    >motherboard. You'll have to replace the board... A well-known problem
    >on D600.

    Ah, I was wondering why he was so insistent on sending me a new
    motherboard as well. Oh, well, once it's all apart it can't be that
    much more work to swap the motherboard.

    How did it break? It's not like it gets a lot of activity, and I sure
    don't bang my laptop around...

    >Ah, I was wondering why he was so insistent on sending me a new
    >motherboard as well. Oh, well, once it's all apart it can't be that
    >much more work to swap the motherboard.

    Bad soldering on the connector. New boards have the connector glued as
    well.

    William P.N. Smith wrote:
    > Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone know where I might be able to get an internal bluetooth card for
    >>a Dell Latitude D600? Apparently they were optional and mine didn't
    >>come with one. The name of it seems to be Truemobile 300 which also is
    >>used for a compact flash adaptor for PDAs.
    >

    > It's either a U5136 (on the factory invoice) or a 1U746 (from spare
    > parts?) part number.
    >
    > Please let me know if you find it, and what it costs. Installation is
    > non-trivial (remove the keyboard, remove the display (yes, really),
    > remove the palm rest, and it's right there... 8*) but fairly
    > straightforward.

    I found the service manual which explains how to do it...

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd600/sm/blue.htm#1000550

    It does seem a tad more work that I had anticipated. I've taken laptops
    apart before, but not ones that were not already being retired. I assume
    so long as one is careful and takes things slowly this is nothing to be
    scared away from. Any other gotchas to be aware of? Any parts that are
    particulary easy to break?

    > Mine just died, and _then_ they told me I had mail-it-back (and be
    > without my computer for 3-5 days) service, so I'm doing the swap
    > myself.
    >
    > If it's easy and not too expensive, I might add it to my wife's
    > machine...

    I found one on ebay for $52 with shipping. I don't know if that is a
    good price or not. If I chicken out, I may be putting it back up there :-).

    Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd600/sm/blue.htm#1000550
    >
    >It does seem a tad more work that I had anticipated. I've taken laptops
    >apart before, but not ones that were not already being retired. I assume
    >so long as one is careful and takes things slowly this is nothing to be
    >scared away from. Any other gotchas to be aware of? Any parts that are
    > particulary easy to break?

    I swapped the display bezel on my wife's machine, and it's pretty
    straightforward. The only piece i had trouble with was the center
    control cover, 8M659, $14.95,you might want to have a spare on hand.

    Also, it sounds like you might want to ensure you've got the
    motherboard with the properly soldered and glued BT connector, but
    that might be a service call.

    >I found one on ebay for $52 with shipping. I don't know if that is a
    >good price or not. If I chicken out, I may be putting it back up there :-).

    Check the prices with Dell's parts line, sometimes eBay is
    significantly more expensive than factory parts...

    William P.N. Smith wrote:
    > Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone know where I might be able to get an internal bluetooth card for
    >>a Dell Latitude D600? Apparently they were optional and mine didn't
    >>come with one. The name of it seems to be Truemobile 300 which also is
    >>used for a compact flash adaptor for PDAs.
    >

    > It's either a U5136 (on the factory invoice) or a 1U746 (from spare
    > parts?) part number.
    >
    > Please let me know if you find it, and what it costs. Installation is
    > non-trivial (remove the keyboard, remove the display (yes, really),
    > remove the palm rest, and it's right there... 8*) but fairly
    > straightforward.

    Are you sure this is the right part number? It seems that all searches
    I am doing leads me to 802.11 cards.

    Bob Horvath wrote:
    > William P.N. Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone know where I might be able to get an internal bluetooth card
    >>> for a Dell Latitude D600? Apparently they were optional and mine
    >>> didn't come with one. The name of it seems to be Truemobile 300
    >>> which also is used for a compact flash adaptor for PDAs.
    >>

    >> It's either a U5136 (on the factory invoice) or a 1U746 (from spare
    >> parts?) part number.
    >>
    >> Please let me know if you find it, and what it costs. Installation is
    >> non-trivial (remove the keyboard, remove the display (yes, really),
    >> remove the palm rest, and it's right there... 8*) but fairly
    >> straightforward.
    >>

    > Are you sure this is the right part number? It seems that all searches
    > I am doing leads me to 802.11 cards.

    Never mind, it is right...

    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/impactcomputersmiami/1u746.html

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:51:16 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote:

    >Henning <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote:
    >>>Mine just died, and _then_ they told me I had mail-it-back (and be
    >>>without my computer for 3-5 days) service, so I'm doing the swap
    >>>myself.
    >
    >>The bluetooth module isn't broken, its the connector on the
    >>motherboard. You'll have to replace the board... A well-known problem
    >>on D600.
    >
    >Ah, I was wondering why he was so insistent on sending me a new
    >motherboard as well. Oh, well, once it's all apart it can't be that
    >much more work to swap the motherboard.

    Butt. you forget one major issue! When the currier brings you the new
    motherboard, he's supposed to get the old one back immediatly! It
    means, you're supposed to have the old one ready for swap when he
    arrives, you're not allowed to check things out before he leaves! Do
    you forget to take e.g. the modem from the old board, you're stuffed!
    But there's only one to blame - you! When you bought the system you
    chose not to pay for onsiteservice... A trained technician swaps the
    motherboard and test everything within half an hour, if you have never
    tried it before... One and a half?
    God luck!

    Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >http://shop.store.yahoo.com/impactcomputersmiami/1u746.html

    OK, so some Yahoo(SM) has it for $70, check the Dell price before you
    buy, it may actually be less!

    I want to call Dell, but my brain won't let me, I've done it recently.
    8*)

    William P.N. Smith wrote:
    > Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >
    >>http://shop.store.yahoo.com/impactcomputersmiami/1u746.html
    >

    > OK, so some Yahoo(SM) has it for $70, check the Dell price before you
    > buy, it may actually be less!
    >
    > I want to call Dell, but my brain won't let me, I've done it recently.
    > 8*)

    I sat on hold on the parts line for about an hour. Their web site is
    useless.

    Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >William P.N. Smith wrote:
    >> I want to call Dell, but my brain won't let me, I've done it recently.

    >I sat on hold on the parts line for about an hour. Their web site is
    >useless.

    Exactly my point. Maybe the extra price for the Yahoo dealer is worth
    it, even if there's no particular warranty...

    William P.N. Smith wrote:
    > Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >
    >>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd600/sm/blue.htm#1000550
    >>
    >>It does seem a tad more work that I had anticipated. I've taken laptops
    >>apart before, but not ones that were not already being retired. I assume
    >>so long as one is careful and takes things slowly this is nothing to be
    >>scared away from. Any other gotchas to be aware of? Any parts that are
    >> particulary easy to break?
    >

    > I swapped the display bezel on my wife's machine, and it's pretty
    > straightforward. The only piece i had trouble with was the center
    > control cover, 8M659, $14.95,you might want to have a spare on hand.
    >
    > Also, it sounds like you might want to ensure you've got the
    > motherboard with the properly soldered and glued BT connector, but
    > that might be a service call.

    I got one off of ebay, and I am not sure it will work. If you look at
    the image on the service manual for the D600, it appears as if the
    module has a connector that slides into a connector on the motherboard.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd600/sm/blue.htm#1000550

    The module I got has a connector on the left end (towards the arrow with
    the 1 on the image), and has a short wire with connectors on it.

    The part number on it is 2U381.

    Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >I got one off of ebay, and I am not sure it will work. If you look at
    >the image on the service manual for the D600, it appears as if the
    >module has a connector that slides into a connector on the motherboard.
    >
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd600/sm/blue.htm#1000550
    >
    >The module I got has a connector on the left end (towards the arrow with
    >the 1 on the image), and has a short wire with connectors on it.
    >
    >The part number on it is 2U381.

    You got the wrong one, the 1U746 is the one that goes in the Latitude
    D600 as per the URL above.

    FWIW, my BT module was OK, it was the motherboard that was bad. Now
    I've got a "new refurb" that Dell will charge me $25 for if I don't
    return it. I'm considering putting it my wife's identical laptop, as
    it'll be much more difficult to get later.

    Anyway, if you buy one, you might want to check with Dell for their
    price, it's $40 when you buy the laptop, $25 as a repair part, and who
    knows how much from Dell's Spare Parts Hell (SM). 8*)

    William P.N. Smith wrote:
    > Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I got one off of ebay, and I am not sure it will work. If you look at
    >>the image on the service manual for the D600, it appears as if the
    >>module has a connector that slides into a connector on the motherboard.
    >>
    >>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd600/sm/blue.htm#1000550
    >>
    >>The module I got has a connector on the left end (towards the arrow with
    >>the 1 on the image), and has a short wire with connectors on it.
    >>
    >>The part number on it is 2U381.
    >

    > You got the wrong one, the 1U746 is the one that goes in the Latitude
    > D600 as per the URL above.

    Yea, I am thinking it must not be compatible. Any idea what models the
    2U381 would work in, before I to trying to sell it on ebay without a
    good description?

    > FWIW, my BT module was OK, it was the motherboard that was bad. Now
    > I've got a "new refurb" that Dell will charge me $25 for if I don't
    > return it. I'm considering putting it my wife's identical laptop, as
    > it'll be much more difficult to get later.
    >
    > Anyway, if you buy one, you might want to check with Dell for their
    > price, it's $40 when you buy the laptop, $25 as a repair part, and who
    > knows how much from Dell's Spare Parts Hell (SM). 8*)

    I am finding others, but still should check with Dell parts. Any idea
    how to contact them? I had a number, but now I can't find it, and I sat
    on hold so long when I did try it, I suspected it might never get answered.

    Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >Yea, I am thinking it must not be compatible. Any idea what models the
    >2U381 would work in, before I to trying to sell it on ebay without a
    >good description?

    I'd grep the dell WWWebsite, and/or use Google

    >I am finding others, but still should check with Dell parts. Any idea
    >how to contact them? I had a number, but now I can't find it, and I sat
    >on hold so long when I did try it, I suspected it might never get answered.

    I've got the following scribbled all over my order paperwork:

    866-273-9823
    800-456-3355
    dellware.com
    800-357-3355
    877-645-1322
    800-289-3355

    Good luck!

    William P.N. Smith wrote:
    > Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Yea, I am thinking it must not be compatible. Any idea what models the
    >>2U381 would work in, before I to trying to sell it on ebay without a
    >>good description?
    >

    > I'd grep the dell WWWebsite, and/or use Google
    >

    >>I am finding others, but still should check with Dell parts. Any idea
    >>how to contact them? I had a number, but now I can't find it, and I sat
    >>on hold so long when I did try it, I suspected it might never get answered.
    >

    > I've got the following scribbled all over my order paperwork:
    >
    > 866-273-9823
    > 800-456-3355
    > dellware.com
    > 800-357-3355
    > 877-645-1322
    > 800-289-3355
    >
    > Good luck!

    My ebay seller is going to exchange the wrong part for the right one. I
    might have gotten the right part cheaper and been able to sell the wrong
    part, but maybe not. I appreciate being able to exchange it.

    I'm not sure if it is appropriate to post the guys ebay site. If you
    are interested, let me know.

Dell Bluetooth Computers