Zergling

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
I recently orderded a Volcano 7+ for my XP 2100 AMD processor because it was runnig kind of hot.
The HS/Fan came but a few of the things were bent on the copper part. I dont know if that is the problem or not.
Anyways I took off the retail hs and I put the volcano on.
Turn on my computer nothing works.
Open the case to see wtf happend and I can smell that its burned. Take the Hs off and to my amazement its burned and I smell that [-peep-].

Anyways the main question is why did it Fry?
Was it because the Copper was bent a little bit.
Also I Rmad it back to AMD and I read they dont rma other hs so I told them it was the retail one that happend. Can they tell that the retail one didnt fry it and why the [-peep-] did it fry.

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
If you could send a picture of the HSF base I’d tell you why…..

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why did it burn, well maybe AMD has crap for thermal protection or maybe AMD gives 2 shits about your investment or AMD did not do enough R&D or maybe AMD could not afford to fix this know problem many years ago.

Bottom line, it has always been thus and any fool who buys one can fall victim to these problem no matter how experianced you are.

Next time buy a motherboard that will prevent your CPU from such problems, oh wait there is none... GL

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nah, just an abnormal amount of AMD problems lately.

The brutal truth is best. Maybe less people surprised when this happens to them.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
ok, just venting then I guess. I suppose at least in this format it's healthy. Like I always tell people that own Dell's that are out of warranty and acting up. The reason for the slanting E in the lettering is because that's what their towers look like when people kick them too often.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

Makaveli

Splendid
He screwed up. If installed properly AMD cpu's and Copper HSF's are a good combination. I'm running an 1800XP with a Volcano 7+. You probably installed the HSF backwarks. I saw someone fry a chip with the same heatsink that way. It is possible to install the Volcano 7+ with the HSF not lining up properly to the socket and still have it clip in. I think that is what he did!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you seen the current <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/hsf.jpg" target="_new">stock HSF</A> shipped with the retail XP 2200+?

It is a joke, looks just like the speezee $4 cooler.

In that picture above it shows the slab of pot metal screwed down to the aluminum heat sink just like the speezee (cheapest HSF known to man).

It sits on this <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/2200.jpg" target="_new">XP 2200+</A>. <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/AXP.jpg" target="_new">WCPUID</A>

Makaveli

Splendid
Fugger only a newbie is gonna put an aluminum HSF on an XP2200. I personally would never buy Retail athlon's the HSF is a joke. Someone that knows anything about building an athlon system knows better. If they don't they are seriously misinformed and shouldn't be building an AMD system!

Anything over a XP1900+ should be using a All copper HSF regardless of how many case fans u have and ventilation.

I feel for the people that don't know cause they are the ones posting in this forum about how they fried there athlon for them I recommend intel systems. They are better for rookies.

And you can say all you want about AMD chips lacking efficient thermal protection for heat which they do. But it won't change anything bitching about it. You gotta work with what u got!

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
If it poor quality,they shouldn't market it.There are lots of first time pc builders out there who wouldnt know better.They ASSUME that if it has Intel,or AMD,then it is ok.For most folks,a cpu and MB purchase is not chump change.Frying your processor.What a bad way to start off your pc building learning process.

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
if it fries with the stock heatsink/fan on it than you have no one to blame but AMD and I would think they would have a much harder time arguing that it's your bad when the chip fries. The place I bought my mobo and chip from put the chip and hs/fan on for me. I didn't do this because I'm not capable of doing it myself because I have done it before. But if the chip fries, guess what? I get a new one for free. So AMD can use any crappy stock heatsink they want, it's their loss. But something tells me that the heatsink works fine unless you are overclocking. So whats the big deal? I grow tired of the many "nick burns" type people in these forums.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.

Makaveli

Splendid
But the point is he fried his Chip cause of User Error. Not the heatsink failing! The stock HSF are good aslong as your not overclocking. As for my personal preference I still wouldn't use there STock HSF's.

eden

Champion
A few questions:
Was your computer locking up with the Retail HSF?
Was there any stability problems during Retail HSF cooled CPU operation?
AND were you anyways planning to overclock, if at all?
And finally, what was the temp?

If question A, B and C= NO, then it's your fault plain and simple dude.

"sigh", if only Matisaro was here with his sig: If you don't overclock, use STOCK.

--
The worst of enemies shall be prone to later be the best of friends. -Eden<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 11/03/02 02:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
I'm actually wondering if he used the pad and if he took off the tape, or if he used air isolation below the HSF!

--
The worst of enemies shall be prone to later be the best of friends. -Eden

eden

Champion
It's not about putting all the blame on the person, it's more about common sense and "If it ain't broke don't fix it" paradoxes.
Besides I ain't saying anything yet before he confirms my questions. For all we know he did have heat problems that were persistent, and it could end up as AMD's fault. However I personally do not think that is the case, not when AMD had specified rigid demands to have motherboard makers implement the thermal protection.

--

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The stock HSF does not come with anything covering the thermal pad. There is a clear plastic cover that covers the entire base of the HSF and is raised around the thermal pad area to prevent touching. So that would rule out the removal of any protection from the thermal pad.

In the pic of the HSF you will see the clear plastic I am talking about as I used it to raise the pad from the scanner glass.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The stock HSF does not come with anything covering the thermal pad. There is a clear plastic cover that covers the entire base of the HSF and is raised around the thermal pad area to prevent touching. So that would rule out the removal of any protection from the thermal pad.

In the pic of the HSF you will see the clear plastic I am talking about as I used it to raise the pad from the scanner glass.

eden

Champion
If you would take your time to perhaps try to make the size more "user-friendly" I would know what yer talking about. Right now you created a picture for 3 MBPS cable users to check, and additionaly not all of us have wide 24" screens with insane resolutions to see that picture, you know?!

--

Makaveli

Splendid
I didn't look at the picture till now. But I agree the Stock HSF are POS.

The picture is not that big eden, though i'm on a 21` monitor :). Just wait till its done downloading your browser should scale it to fit your screen.

If your on dial up, got make a sandwidth and comeback!

G

>Nah, just an abnormal amount of AMD problems lately.

Abnormal ? Have a look here <A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/polls/results.jsp?poll=2" target="_new">http://www.aceshardware.com/polls/results.jsp?poll=2</A>
I dont think the crowd visiting this board is so different from Aces'. There are just a lot more AMD users on these boards than Intel users, hence more problems.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Zergling

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
Yea I dont really know why I needed a Heatsink I wasnt overclocking or anything. I guess it just seemed 55 C was a bit to high for under load.
But Ive learned my lesson not to be stupid.
So its because I put it on backwards maybe. Also as I said before the copper parts where touching in a few places at the sides so that might have been it. But Any clue if AMD will replace it or could they tell it was a different Heatsinks problem.