celeron 2.0 giga without second level cache?

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
my new 2gig celeron does not have any l2 cache. i always thought celerons do have the half p4 cache count.. and.. half of something is... something, but not zero..

and i get very visible slowdowns in applications thanks to that...

board: as45gt/r
vpu: radeon9700pro (yeah:D)
cpu: intel celeron processor 2.0gig

it's fun to see that the resolution doesn't mather, doom3 is at 2 fps.. and thats the vpu they presented it on e3. smooth..

oh, and yes, i'll buy doom3 as soon as it's out.

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might have L2 cache disabled in BIOS. And 128k that IS there is 1/4 that of the latest P4's.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
hm okay. that tool is the only thing reporting me the correct number: l2 128kb

i can't set the l2 in the bios anywhere..

btw, i overclocked it to 2.66 giga, and guess what? at the place where i had 10fps yesterday, i now have .. 15.. still, 90% of the time (when i just not stand directly in front of a wall:D), i have 2-3 fps.. much too less.

all other things, sisoft sandra, 3dmark2001, etc, they all report 0 l2 cache. looks like i have to do some bios update :( never done that before, i'm scared i mess it up..

www.google.com

eden

Champion
It would surprise me a lot that you got a Celeron 2GHZ who's L2 isn't reported. I didn't know they were out even, I didn't hear they were out yet.

It's kinda funny, no offense, cuz in the graphics forum you were a damn knowledgeable person in that area, now you're having trouble starting the CPU's correct speccs! :)

BTW, DOOM III? Geez who do you work for man?!
And 2-3PFS? Even with 512KB L2, that's not encouraging in terms of R300+P4 gameplay!

--
The worst of enemies shall be prone to later be the best of friends. -Eden

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
hehe.. it's the leaked e3 demo. if you take the time, you can get it from kazaa and friends. i will definitely buy it..

if i disable shadows, i get a good framerate. and the shadows (where they are) is a full cpu task.. so it _can_ be that the lack of correct l2 cache drops the power there..

celeron2gig is out since a while, don't you read tomshardware? :D

i'm a programmer. as such, i need knowledge on what i do program on, but i don't need to know how to set that up myself actually. never done much work with hardware, but i can build together a pc, thats no problem. problem now is i get the no-level2-cache everywhere in windows, in sandra, in 3dmark, etc.. only the intel pentium check tool says i have 128k.. solution: enable l2 in the bios. i could do that on my old pc, but this one don't let me en or dis able it. so that doesn't work.. anyways, i possibly have to change the mobo anyways to get one with agp4x.. don't know yet.. but the ati has problems on agp8x slots as it is an old card.. and well, possibly the celeron doesn't like my mobo as well:D i'm just not trained in those incompatibilities i meet here, thats why i ask..

i could talk hours on how a celeron works, how the cpu uses its caches and all. but if there is no checkbox or even a jumper to choose my l2 cache, what should i do? as i said, i'm a programmer, not a hardware -mech..

hm.. when i get something nice working (some application, you know:D) i'll set you on my list of people who can try it:D

how fast is your pc?

www.google.com

When you turn the computer on Imediately after the first beep press the "DELETE" key.

Arrow down to the"Advanced Chipset Configuration" press enter.

Arrow down to CPU L1 &L2 cache. Make sure this is enabled. If not use the "-" or "+" keys to enable it.

Press F10 to save and exit. Make sure yes is highlighted, and press enter.

I aint signing nothing!!!

eden

Champion
How can you say the R9700 is an old card!
Crazy programmers, always asking for more! :wink:

Anyways did you try what Rick suggested? That's possibly the only sure way to check if it's there and have it enabled permanently. If not, try swapping motherboards. You seem to have flashed the BIOS, if not, do it.

--

eden

Champion
My bro tried to get it off DirectConnect but it cut down in the middle of transfer, he gave up.
I check some sites with Sshots, with FPS enabled, boy I dunno what the system was but it sure ran slow at 17FPS, with 50FPS max when in front of a door security pad!
I saw some really ugly screens though, very choppy and polygonic jaggedpictures, I wonder if Carmack is optimizing those problems.

--

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
The celleron is a poor games machine, with or without L2. Allways has been, Allways will be.
The lack of L2 has allways been bad for it with games.

<b>Is that a Sidetracked Thread I see before me? - <i>William Shakespeare, Macbeth</i></b>
Officially Certified <font color=green>Hooter Inspector.</font color=green>

eden

Champion
That's not entirely true, which brings to question why the Celeron 2GHZ, with 128K L2, like the Celeron 300A, had weak performance when the following : <A HREF="http://arstechnica.com/paedia/c/caching/caching-4.html" target="_new">http://arstechnica.com/paedia/c/caching/caching-4.html</A> (scroll to Temporal Locality) says that whether cacheless or not, the CeleronA didn't make such a boost with on-die 128K L2 cache.

--

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
hehe, the evil thing called bios..

problem is, in the whole thing there is no option anywhere wich just mentoins l1 or l2.. in my old bios on the old pc (p3 500) i had those options..

thats why i think a bios update is needed.. to find those options again..

and yes, i tried a lot in the bios:D go the pc to not boot up anymore several times, hehe:D at least i found out how to reset it again..

thanks for the detailed explanation on where i have to look at, but, well... i'm there, and there's no option for the cache :(

i'll check it anyways again when i'm at home.. weekend or so:D

www.google.com

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
about the speed of the doom3 demo:
it's an old version
it's a together hacked version (much code copied from q3)
it's a very unoptimized version.
it was just to generate the e3 video.
it was not thought for playing. (it's much faster in demonstrationmode, no need to calc physics and all then, ya know).

it should be much bether currently, and at the release.

remember, it's a leak, not an official demo. it does not provide info about how it performs today, or how id wants to show it.

www.google.com