Distinguished
Nov 3, 2002
Hi Guys,

I've recently upgraded my system to the following:

AMD XP 2000+
ECS K7S5A mobo
Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb
384mb PC133 ram

My problem is when I play games (mainly BF1942) it locks up after about 10 mins of gameplay. The lockup just freezes the picture and watever sound was playing just repeats over and over - I cant ctrl alt del, I have to reset the system.

Sometimes it will run fine if I remove the side of the case. I've put extra fans in but that did'nt help. The cpu is currently running at about 52 degrees.(its a hot day).

So, do you think it is the video card that is getting to hot/faulty or is the cpu getting to hot?

I've tried different graphic card drivers, and different games. Also, I put a geforce 2 mx in the computer and it did the exact same thing which had me thinking it must be the cpu, but it might be the placement of the graphics card and it gets to hot? If I put a P4 system in the same place it runs absolutely fine. Should I get a new cpu fan??? Any ideas????

Thanks for any help guys, its annoying and I want to get back to my smooth gaming :)

leedz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
The problems maybe the soundcard have collision with the game.Try to update newer driver.Do other games have the same problems?

bub

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2002
I dont think its the sound card as when i take the side of the case off and blast a big fan in there it runs fine.

Yup, other games have the same problem.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like heat. It could be your video card or even your power supply overheating! Have you done the recommended fan configuration with the rear fans blowing out and the front blowing in?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

alcdotcom

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
Sounds like you've already got it figured out to me. AMD CPUs typically do run hot, so that could be it. Do you have a stock heatsink/fan? If so, you might consider another. I've heard the Volcano heatsink/fans are good, but I can't verify that.

<font color=blue> <i> There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. </i> </font color=blue> --J.S. Anderson

shadowjack

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I just a newbie to this stuff. But had some minor problems with my new system with an amd xp2000+ cpu and the Geforce4 TI4200 64mb.

I would have severe stuttering sometimes. Usually when the screen was very "busy", like during explosions and such.

My culprit was shared IRQ's. The onboard LAN and USB stuff was on one irq. The video agp card was sharing an IRQ with the built in sound card. Explosions mean lotsa graphics and big sounds.

So I gave the lan it's own irq, and put in a sound card with it's own irq, and disabled the onboard stuff.

Nice and smooth now.