Sign in with
Your question

Its all just hot air...

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Fan
Last response: in CPUs
November 6, 2002 8:53:15 AM

I run my comp, with both side panel off for now. I get about 28-30 degrees. When I put the panels on, it gets quite hot in there. Now in winter, its not such a problem, but in summer, when its 42 Degrees over here, my baby suffers.
I have a fan on my case, in the front, below my Hard Drives.
Right now, its blowing air into the copmuter. Its not dong such a great job, since there isnt a lot coming out of it, and its pretty far from the fan to my Motherboard.
I was just thinking about air circulation. Would it be better, if I had the fan blowing air out? So the hot air from my comp get out, and cooler air comes in from the breathing holes?
Also, if I put exhaust fans, where should they be?

More about : hot air

November 6, 2002 9:47:55 AM

Intake fans should be in the lower front of your case (as yours is now), so you should leave your current fan as it is. Exhaust fans should be in the upper rear of the case, to draw out warm air as it rises. It's generally good to have more air blowing <i>in</i> than blowing <i>out</i>.

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>
November 6, 2002 10:42:24 AM

Oh....and, my heatsink is kinda clogged up with dust. Should I take it out and clean it?
When I put it in, I had to put some cream on my cpu. Will I need to re-apply that stuff, cuz I dont have any left...or will the cream that I put before still be enough?
Related resources
November 6, 2002 11:12:20 AM

Quote:
Its not doing such a great job, since there isnt a lot coming out of it

The hot air coming <i>out</i> of your computer is the measure of how much you are cooling it

John A
November 6, 2002 12:48:45 PM

Hmmm...If your HS is dusty I would recommend spending the 3$ and grabbing a can of compressed air. They come with a slim flexible extension just to get those hard to reach places. Besides the HS, give your whole board the once-over. BTW, the dust removal of the HS will probably benefit you 2-3 degrees C, since the dust was hampering heat distribution.

If you do decide to take the HS off, you WILL need to re-apply a thermal compound. If you're worried about those temps, pick up a 3 gram tube of Arctic Silver 3 (6-10$ depending on vendor and tube size). It is the best compound that I know of and is probably better than whatever you originally used. That should also bring your temps down a few degrees. Just remember, clean the CPU and HS thoroughly before you re-apply thermal paste (I use acetone 1$ and paper towels). Good luck!

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>
November 6, 2002 2:29:54 PM

I guess I'll go for the can of air, since I have no heat problems.
November 8, 2002 8:49:38 PM

"It's generally good to have more air blowing in than blowing out."

Is this correct cos I thought it was betterto have more air blowing out then in, as this keeps the pressure in the case roughly the same and helps the intake fan with it's job correct me if I'm wrong as I'm still learning and planning to build a computer in the near future so want to have good airflow and if i've got it the wwr it won't be very good for my new system
November 8, 2002 9:10:46 PM

You want a bit more air intake than output because it creates a higher pressure inside the case. At higher pressures the air molecules are closer together so that they conduct the heat out faster.

<font color=green>My other personality is schitzofrenic.</font color=green>
November 8, 2002 9:15:13 PM

but if you increased the velocity of the air flow it would have the same effect right?

Oh aye its guaranteed, but I'm not too sure about the stuff inside. - Scotty
November 8, 2002 9:39:39 PM

You want more outtake than intake.

If you have more in than out, extra air gets pushed into the case. It sits inside the case and collects heat, and the out fans don't have enough time to push it out.

If you have more out than in, air is being pulled out faster than it is pushed in, so it creates a vacuum. No air is trapped to collect heat. The air is being pulled in at the bottom fan, which makes it relatively cool air, and all the heat at the cpu, where your exhaust fans should be, is being replaced by the cold air sucked in.
November 8, 2002 11:16:41 PM

oh god, not another more intake, more output is better argument.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
November 9, 2002 12:16:04 AM

Just so happends I am checking this now on my system.
I have 3 Thermaltake 80mm Case fans. And a Dual fan Enermax PSU. I have the front case fan blowing air in, the back case fan blowing air out. And my side case fan blowing air out.

My IDLE cpu Temp was 50c with a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ on medium fan speed. (AXP 1800+)

I have always thought more output was better from most of the articles I read about air in the cases. But recently someone told me to switch to more intake and see what happends. So I left the front and back case fans the same. And switched my side fan to intake from out.
Guess what my CPU Idle Temp dropped 6c.

Now my XP1800 idles @ 44c.
And that was all the proof I needed so I am for more intake than out. But my current setup is more balanced now cause the Enermax also is blowing air out. so that's 2 blowing air in and 2 blowing air out. Instead of 3 out and 1 intake!

my Specs
http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172
November 9, 2002 3:21:32 PM

What happens if you turn the side fan off, so you have 2 out and 1 in ???? The side fan will be on the lower half of the side as heat rises it should be blowing in as if it was blowing out it would suck cold air out (that is if it a low side fan)
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2002 10:32:49 PM

I always set systems up with a little more coming in than going out. The reason for this is tha if you have negative pressure in the case .DUST will be sucked in through the CD, CD/RW,ZIP, floppy and any other little crack that will allow air inside. So with filters in place and more air coming in no dust gets inside (almost).

Also if you pull your front case fan out and it has all of those LITTLE holes punched in the metal less than 50% of the fans rated airflow is actually getting in the case.

My solution is to break out the tin snips and cut the front opening so that it is complety unobstructed.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rick_Criswell on 11/09/02 07:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!