How can I disable automatic hardware detection?

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I recently installed a printer on my PC, which is working fine.

However, everytime I boot my PC I get a "New Hardware Found - Printer" message, and then it goes to a window to install the printer. I proceed to reinstal the printer, I get no error messages during the installation, but at the end it says that there was en error installing the printer. Then it asks if I want to be prompted again to install it, which I click the "No" option, but when I reboot it detects it and starts this all over again. How can I disable this hardware detection at startup?

I have Win XP Pro, SP1, all the latest updates from Microsoft, and the latest printer software and drivers.
It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gaviota on 03/22/03 05:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I don’t know how you would shut auto detect off, not sure if you should. You can check these sights. Have you check to see if you only have one printer listed in the Control Panel also in Device Manager, just a thought. Personally I would uninstall the printer and reinstall it and reboot if you have to, also look for updates drivers or trouble shoot the printer on line, because obviously it shouldn’t do that.
<A HREF="http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm" target="_new">WinXP Services</A>
<A HREF="http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm" target="_new">Task list</A>

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Today I uninstalled the printer and unplugged it from the PC. And when I boot, it still detects and tries to install a printer, which is no longer there. Strange.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Does XP recognize your printer and have the right driver for it, or are you using a driver from a CD? XP has the driver for my printer and gave me no problem. I’m thinking you might have a little more trouble if XP doesn’t have the driver, where when it recognizes the printer you would have to point it to the CD, or better yet go online to get a driver from the maker of the printer. Also, pay attention to any special notes on how to install the printer.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.