Solved

Keyboard types wrong characters

The right half of my laptop keyboard types numbers and characters instead of letters, but when I hold down the function key, it types correctly. How do I get it to stay correct permanantly?
Reply to KissanKissa
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about keyboard types wrong characters
  1. Best answer
    This sounds like a case of numlock. check and see that it's off? because most laptops without a numpad, have numlock which turns some of the keys on the right to numbers.
    Reply to Abyssalx
  2. Hello KissanKissa;

That almost sounds like some type of 'function lock' option.
    Have you checked your laptop users guide for Fn options?

But the fact that it's only HALF the keyboard might be a symptom of a general keyboard failure. If that's the case - it's a probably going to take new keyboard to solve the problem.
    Reply to WR2
  3. Abyssalx said:
    This sounds like a case of numlock. check and see that it's off?
    That could be the case.
    But usually a reboot would reset the numlock. So you'll want to check your BIOS settings where you have might have the Numlock option set ON by default.
    Reply to WR2
  4. It is numlock. There is either a dedicated key, or you have to hit fn + something else (possibly screen lock or some f-key). I've seen this so many times. People don't realize there is numlocks on a laptop. If you look closely there should be smaller or lighter colored numbers on those keys. On my laptop the numbers are on the beveled edge.
    Reply to nordlead
  5. Best answer selected by KissanKissa.
    Reply to KissanKissa
  6. FOund this solution on another site:

Open up notepad and copy/paste:

set WshShell = CreateObject("wScript.Shell")
    WshShell.SendKeys "{NUMLOCK}"

Now save as whatever.vbs

If you double click this then it will turn the num lock on and off.

Cheers,
    Ace

IF you get stuck here is the video that help me find the solution (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8J7TJBSBPo)
    Reply to meirsimchah
  7. KissanKissa said:
    The right half of my laptop keyboard types numbers and characters instead of letters, but when I hold down the function key, it types correctly. How do I get it to stay correct permanantly?
    Reply to gayanp
  8. gayanp said:
    KissanKissa said:

Is a number lock in the bios just disable it
    Reply to Chudson7
  9. WR2 said:
    Abyssalx said:
    This sounds like a case of numlock. check and see that it's off?
    That could be the case.
    But usually a reboot would reset the numlock. So you'll want to check your BIOS settings where you have might have the Numlock option set ON by default.

This was helpful. Doing a simple reboot fixed it for me.
    Reply to hoelker
  10. I had the same issue and Installing malware bytes fixed my issue..
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    Reply to mjmadushanka
  11. Thanks for your help
    Reply to jitendergaur
  12. nordlead said:
    It is numlock. There is either a dedicated key, or you have to hit fn + something else (possibly screen lock or some f-key). I've seen this so many times. People don't realize there is numlocks on a laptop. If you look closely there should be smaller or lighter colored numbers on those keys. On my laptop the numbers are on the beveled edge.

HI Iam worried for my same problem as mentioned above but this is very helpful for me. It is numlock. There is either a dedicated key, or you have to hit fn + something else (possibly screen lock or some f-key). I've seen this so many times. People don't realize there is numlocks on a laptop. If you look closely there should be smaller or lighter colored numbers on those keys. On my laptop the numbers are on the beveled edge.
    Reply to Najam Mangi
  13. yes it worked now. Thanks. you need to press Fn key with then num lock button
    Reply to sanilr
  14. KissanKissa said:

System Prefs. Go to Keyboard Type and you get the Keyboard Assistant saying your keyboard can't be identified. ( At least that's what I get.) You get prompted to Select keyboard type select ANSI and the problem is solved!
    Reply to Huggy2015
  15. Abyssalx said:
    This sounds like a case of numlock. check and see that it's off? because most laptops without a numpad, have numlock which turns some of the keys on the right to numbers.

NumLk it is!
    Thanks for the simple solution!
    Reply to I-Robot
  16. KissanKissa said:
    Reply to mumtazshah
  17. keyboard issue of Asus notebook can be solved by this way enter FN key which is close to CRTL key with numlock key which is near on off and on button of notebook on right side on top line
    Reply to mumtazshah
  18. KissanKissa said:

just click fn key+ insert key and y will see it solved
    Reply to mahmoud_28
  19. Abyssalx said:

Thank you. I searched many sites but this simple step was very useful. these are the first words being typed after I installed the OS.
    thanks again. May god bless you.
    Reply to Bryandeep
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Laptops Keyboards