Dual CPU bench marks

dbentley

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
I have browsed your sight for a while now. It is usually quite informative.

But there seems to be a gap in benching top end systems.

I have read many articles here and elsewhere, where a new dual xeon and dual athlon have been put through the wringer against each other.

It seems to me that a real comparison should be as follows:

dual xeon 2.6/8 GHz
dual athlon 2600??
dual P3 xeon 1 GHz
dual P3 1.13 GHz
dual P3 tualatin 1.4 GHz

It is alway nice to have the absolute top end of today but why not compare them against the top end of yesterday.

Most of us dualies have the older systems which are running great and really have no need of upgrdaing to the latest and greatest. Or as in my case due more to cost than anything else.

Like I have recently bought 2 aopen dx34r-u dual tualation MB's (not running the 1.4's yet). Yet I can not find anywhere where the dual 1.4's were benched against anything. One site had a single 1.4 vs the p4 and athlon but not the full potential of the cpu's ever even found out.

Currently I am running one of them as a dual 733 and the other as a dual 600. My big system to compare against is an SGI 550 dual p3 xeon 866 workstation. So most of my benches should be fairly comparative.

But again I do not have an article anywhere to explore these configurations or what the possible potential of either system could be maxxed out.

If you know of any or have any info for such I would appreciate the help.

US Army 82d Airborne Division
Only way to fly.
First step to becoming a man is at 800 feet