Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP Pro OEM or Retail Version

Last response: in Windows XP
March 23, 2003 5:22:33 PM

What is the difference besides price in Windows XP Pro OEM and Windows XP Pro? OR should you just go with the upgrade version?
March 23, 2003 6:31:20 PM

You have to buy at least one piece of hardware (eg. harddisk, mobo or CPU that usually depends on where you buy it) in order to get OEM version which Microsoft sells to computer manufacturers. Furthermore, Microsoft does not provide support to it.
If you already have earlier version of Windows (Win 98, Win98 SE, ME, 2000 or XP Home), you should get the upgrade version. It is the same as Full version.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
March 24, 2003 2:02:25 PM

IN ADDITION TO THE OTHER REPLY. SOME VERSIONS OF OEM XP (AT LEAST THE ONE I PURCHASED) WILL ONLY DO A CLEAN INSTALL NOT AN UPGRADE. I LEARNED THIS AFTER I PURCHAESD MY OEM VERSION. SPEND THE EXTRA 50 BUCKS OR SO. PLUS YOU WONT BE SPENDING $29.99 FOR EACH PROBLEM YOU HAVE TO CALL THE SUPPORT CENTER ON. AS KHHA4113 SUGGESTED BUY THE RETAIL UPGRADE.
Related resources
March 24, 2003 2:52:01 PM

And what's wrong with a clean install? That's what I prefer!
As far as calling MS goes, who needs them! If you have troubles, you can always post here.
You can still get all the updates and everything with the OEM version. The only real difference I can tell is that it didn't come in a big box or have a manual.
The hardware that you have to buy can be a $2 mouse if you want, some sites include it in the price.
I got an OEM XP home a little over a year ago, and haven't had any problems at all with it.

:smile: Peace comes only after absolute victory :smile:
March 25, 2003 10:27:09 PM

Not only do you not have to phone Microsoft, you can actually email them. The one time I had to email MS about a problem I was having with IE, they were very helpful and responsive. I even got an email asking me if my problem was fixed... now that's what I call support. Their replies were prompt; within hours they repsonded to all the emails I sent.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
March 26, 2003 3:04:05 PM

I'd still rather find my answers online through forums than deal with Microsoft. I give them enough money as it is lol.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>
March 27, 2003 5:39:41 AM

What email address did you use to contact microsoft? I've never had any luck emailing them.
March 27, 2003 9:31:54 PM

What happens if you buy a legal copy of Windows XP Pro OEM, yet chose to install a copy of Windows XP Pro Corporate Edition which doesn't require activation.

I just don't want to have to ask Microsoft for permission every time I reinstall my OS, or switch motherboards.

If I own a legal copy of WinXp, but install from an illegal copy out of privacy concerns where does that put me legally.
March 28, 2003 10:07:06 AM

Well since I didn't use product activation Microsoft will have a hard time tracking me down for the arrest.
March 28, 2003 5:30:41 PM

I was joking. I just forgot to smile. Thinking of Microsofts business practices often has that effect on me. :) 
!