Sign in with
Your question

Newbie question on Pentium III upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
November 10, 2002 11:53:26 PM

Hi,
I have a Dimension XPS T600 Dell computer. My CPU is a Pentium III 600 mhz. This CPU is conected through a slot 1 not a Socket 370. According to Tom´s Hardware´s website, I need to get an additional Abit adapter board that enabled me to run a Socket 370 processor in a Slot 1 interface. Where could I get this adapter?
I am very interested in buying a "upgradeware 370GU", but I need to know if it is possible to upgrade my CPU through this product. I would want to know which is the fastest CPU that I can use in this kind of computer?
I send you additional information about my system:
Processor:
600 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board:
Board: Intel Corporation SE440BX-3 AA722396-108
Serial Number: 0007335T1246198601DO
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. 4S4EB2X0.10A.0017.P05 04/22/1999

RAM: 768 MB
Video Card: 64mb DDR Nvidia Geforce 4 mx 440 W/TV

Finally, I live in Mexico, could I buy this products online?
Regards,

Marco Antonio Vazquez.
November 11, 2002 12:08:11 AM

Crashman has a <A HREF="http://www.powerleap.com/" target="_new">PowerLeap</A> slotket that will enable you to run a PIII Tualatin. I would doublecheck with <A HREF="http://www.powerleap.com/" target="_new">PowerLeap</A> to make sure it'll work in that Dell. You may have been Delled! :lol: 

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
November 11, 2002 12:55:43 AM

Hi,
Thank´s for your advice. I have already sent an email to PowerLeap. I think that their product could work with my computer.
Finally, I have seen many messages against Dell, I would want to know why do you hate Dell?
Related resources
November 11, 2002 1:53:33 AM

Most people in these forums dislike companies that use proprietary hardware. Furthermore, you usually pay more for an inferior product.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2002 2:43:14 AM

Their product will work, BUT only if you buy it with a processor. I'm selling the slotket alone.

Anyway, a standard slotket should also work. What chipset do you have? You can find it under the System Properties menu>System Devices, look for the following: BX, i810, i815, i820.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
November 11, 2002 3:01:54 AM

I look that I have a 82443BX chipset.
November 11, 2002 3:18:24 AM

Here are a few reasons why we specifically hate dell.

A. They are expensive
B. You generally get cheap parts inside
C. The cases look nice, but are bastards to service
D. Ditto for replacing components and upgrading.
E. They use special Proprietary Dell PSU's and motherboards... and whats worse is that they look exactly like normal ones, but if you put an ATX psu with dell Motherboard or vice-versa BOOM!... Dead components. HP/Compac/Gateway use normal ATX standard components.
F. If you can upgrade there are usually all sorts of conflicts and space limitations.

Conclusion: Dell computers are dumb PC's for ignorant/nieve/dumb customers.

<b>LHGPooBaa + Evil Hamster Sidekick: Serving Toms Hardware community for 2 years as of the 11th of November</b>
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2002 3:29:04 AM

Well, I would go with the Powerleap adapater then. You may have a revision of the board which supports the Slot1 Coppermine core processors, then again you might not. You can try <A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PIII1000S1-..." target="_new">This PIII 1000E processor</A> to see if it works. If it doesn't, send it back!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
November 11, 2002 2:34:17 PM

You know, for three years, I have had a Dell computer and I do not have any problems with my equipment. However, I understand your motives to hate Dell. Nevertheless, I live in Mexico and Dell is the only company who offers the newest PC´s to Mexico. Besides Dell allows to personally configure your PC. The others companys (for example HP and Compaq) offers PC´s a little bit older at very hig prices and you could not buy online or confgure your equipment¡ By the way, Dell´s prices are high too.
In Mexico, it is very dificult to get good quality hardware. Most of the people who build PC´s in Mexico are thieves and worst of all they are a bunch of ignorants. They claim to be reputable, but they do not have the minimum knowledges.
November 12, 2002 5:49:17 PM

"A. They are expensive"

For US$499 you can get a Celeron 1.8, 256mb ram, 30gb HDD, 17" monitor, 40/10/40 CR-RW, decent speakers, WinXP, and an office suite all with a 1 year on-site warranty. For 80% of the population that's a decent home computer.

"B. You generally get cheap parts inside"

Intel chipsets, Micron CL2 ram, Maxtor drives, MS mouses, Viewsonic monitors, super quiet cooling, etc... That's hardly cheap stuff.

"C. The cases look nice, but are bastards to service"

I can't argue that one. Some of them are ok to work inside. Dell is good at neatly aranging and wire tying cables.

"D. Ditto for replacing components and upgrading."

Most cases do have extra drive bays and every one I've seen has five or six PCI slots.

"E. They use special Proprietary Dell PSU's and motherboards... and whats worse is that they look exactly like normal ones, but if you put an ATX psu with dell Motherboard or vice-versa BOOM!... Dead components. HP/Compac/Gateway use normal ATX standard components."

I've never had to replace a Dell desktop PSU. The (newer at least) Dell server PSUs are just standard units.

"F. If you can upgrade there are usually all sorts of conflicts and space limitations."

I've never had any conflicts upgrading a Dell. The Dimension series is rather short of drive bays 'tho.

"Conclusion: Dell computers are dumb PC's for ignorant/nieve/dumb customers."

I'd conclude that Dell makes great systems for the majority of the population. Most of the people in the world just want their computer to turn on and work. Exactly like a car. If their car doesn't go fast enough they buy another car. Same for their computer. They trade in the old computer to a local charity for a tax receipt and get a new one.

And if they want to add something, they get a USB device.

Of course if you want to play and fiddle and fix, don't buy a Dell.

- JW
November 12, 2002 5:52:37 PM

Anyways, back to the original question.

I'd go with a Celeron-1200 on a Powerleap slocket.

You can get it online.

- JW
November 12, 2002 6:19:35 PM

Thank´s for your reply¡

The people from PowerLeap have already sent me an email. They told me that because of my system configuration they'd recommend their new PL-iP3/T upgrade, which will currently take my system's CPU up to 1.4 GHz, using an Intel "Tualatin" Celeron with 256K of L2 cache.
I could order this product online.
November 12, 2002 8:56:13 PM

Celleron 1.8 = LOL
256mb ram = most probably the slowst that will run on that chipset.

But your right about that being enough for most of the population. Even cellerons are capable of word, excel, printing pretty pictures and surfing the web. :smile:

B. Cheap parts: I was refering to them being sold with adverts like "Equipped with a fast celleron 1.8Ghz processor" or "Geforce 4" (a.k.a MX440) 5400rpm drives, SDRAM etc.

D. A friend of mine tried to get an extra HDD put in. After a few hours on hold talking to various support robots it came down to: - Get us to do it for probably 50% more than street price or - Void your warantee and do it yourself. He did it himself, and it still didnt work. OS/mobo refused outright to recognise the second drive as master/slave or cableselect. In the end he got it working by swappping it with one of his optical drives.

E. you're lucky then...

Conclusion: I still think you can get more for a better price by getting a beige box generic. But i suppose people just love that warm and fuzzy feeling... and the helpdesk support staff :lol: 

<b>LHGPooBaa + Evil Hamster Sidekick: Serving Toms Hardware community for 2 years as of the 11th of November</b>
!