GRANDDADDYBEAR

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2003
I have had trouble installing XP Professional to a drive that is attached to an ata raid controller. Even if I install XP to the hard drive attached to the regualar ide controller, then switch it to the raid controller and create a 0+1 array, the system hangs, when attempting to boot into windows. My system hardware is a gigabyte SINXP1394 motherboard with onboard ITE gigaraid ata raid controller. ATI all in wonder raedon 9700 agp video card, four western digital 120gb hard drives, creative labs sb audigy platinum, 2gigs of ram. One more note, windows will boot correctly if I create only a 1 (mirrored) array, but not a 0 (striped), or 0+1 (striped and mirrored)array. I'd appreciate any advise someone might be able to offer.

Rob

GRANDDADDYBEAR

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2003
THANK YOU JLANKA FOR YOUR REPLY, I WAS BEGINING TO GIVE UP HOPE.
MY STEP SON ROB IS THE ONE THAT POSTED THE QUESTION FOR ME. I BELEVE THAT HE HAD.? HES BEEN WORKING ON IT FOR OVER A WEEK NOW, AND HE HAS EXPERIANCE WITH RAID SETUPS (I DONT). HELL BE HERE IN AN HOUR OR SO TO TRY AGAIN.
I HOPE ITS AS SIMPLE AS THIS THO! ILL LET YOU KNOW.
THANKS AGAIN JLANKA.
ANDREW.

GRANDDADDYBEAR

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2003
hey, this is Rob. Yes I tried to install the drivers at the beginning of the installation using F6, but the file that windows setup was looking for was called "txtsetup.txt", but there was not a file with that name anywhere on the driver disk (cd) which contained all of the motherboard drivers. I even tried to change the raid setup after I installed windows and installed the raid utility which allows you to change your raid configuration right from windows. So I set it up as a 0+1 array, and as soon as I hit the create button, windows became extremely unstable, started flickering, wouldn't allow me to click on certain things, and finally just shut down altogether. Obviously, there is a problem that the operating system has when installed and ran from a bootable raid disk in 0 or 0+1 mode. I am trying to find out if there is someone who is familiar with this issue and if there is a fix to it or work around. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
nope - I ran that configuration without a problem. You definitely should install the drivers using the F6. If you can't get that to work, you've got a problem.

What is the model of the RAID controller?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
get the drivers from <A HREF="http://tw.giga-byte.com/english-web/support/d_other.htm#iteraid" target="_new">here</A> and then extract it using winzip, then take the entire DRIVERS folder along with the subfolders and put that on floppy. Then the XP install should find what it needs.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>