I am awaiting a new Dell XPS computer to replace my old (still functioning
well) Dell XPS R450.

As a result I wonder if I couldn't connect the two together with a KVM
Switch so that I could go back and forth between the two using one printer,
monitor, keyboard etc.

I know next to nothing about KVM Switches so I would appreciate any advise
anyone could offer as to brands, types etc.

Thank you

A two-port KVM would do the job. Lots of brands nowadays. Make sure that the
new Dell has a PS/2-style keyboard, else you will have to worry about a KVM that
supports a USB keyboard. Many of the ones on the market handle switching a
PS/2-style keyboard, PS/2-style mouse and SVGA monitor very nicely.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:51:53 -0600, "Wayne" <Ole@sealake.com> wrote:

>I am awaiting a new Dell XPS computer to replace my old (still functioning
>well) Dell XPS R450.
>
>As a result I wonder if I couldn't connect the two together with a KVM
>Switch so that I could go back and forth between the two using one printer,
>monitor, keyboard etc.
>
>I know next to nothing about KVM Switches so I would appreciate any advise
>anyone could offer as to brands, types etc.
>
>Thank you

KVM switches work fine. Sounds just like what you need. I don't know of
any that switch printers though. KVM stands for Keyboard, Video, Mouse and
that is all the cheaper switches will switch.