Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 15, 2002 2:03:26 AM

Current Specs:
ABIT KG7 (AMD761 chipset)
AMD Duron 1.2GHz @ 133MHz FSB
512MB PC2100 RAM @ CL2
GF4 Ti4200

My current system, at least as far as CPU and memory goes, is weak by anyone's standards. As a high school student I don't have much of a "budget" to work with and really can't afford to just grab the latest CPU and motherboard every two months.

What I'm really looking to do is upgrade my CPU now (before the end of 2002) and wait six months or so for the "new generation" (Hammer) of CPU's until I get a whole new setup (mobo/CPU/memory). With that in mind, is it worth it for me to pay $80+ for an AthlonXP? Keep in mind that my VERY dated mobo only supports up to the 2000+ unfortunately, so those shiny new 2200/2400/2600 aren't an option for me.

So considering what I've said, how big of a difference will I see in everyday apps (games, graphics and office software, etc.) from a Duron 1.2 to, say, an XP1900 or 2000 -- and is it worth the money now if I'm going to upgrade everything by next spring or summer?

More about : upgrade advice amd

November 15, 2002 2:10:03 AM

A jump to a XP2000+ would be a worthy boost. Remember you will be getting more than Mhz. The XP has alot more L2 cache that makes demanding tasks far faster, especially games
Also your DDR chipset is one of the better initial ones, so memory bandwidth shouldnt be decent.

The XP2000+ will also nicely complement the Ti4200 you have there. will tide you over for quite some time.

<b>All CDs will be protected and you are a filthy pirate! - <i>Bertelsmann Music Group (BMG)</i>
Serving THGC for over 2 years.</b>
November 15, 2002 3:27:34 AM

BE CAREFUL, lol, i have the same mobo as you, a friend of mine has the same mobo as you, and i have had issues with the XP chips atleast with the palamino core. i have an XP1800 and when playing games the system freezes and you have to reboot, not fun, my friend has the same problem, i swapped my old 1.4ghz 266mhz back in and its fine, no BIOS updates are going to fix that, you can try bumping up the CPU slew rate but that was only a cure for some pple. my recommendation is atleast get up into a T-Bred, if you can.

-TheGame-
Related resources
November 15, 2002 9:02:43 AM

Well I've never run a Duron system personally, but still have 1 running Celeron. I can say though that when I went from a Thunderbird 950 to an XP1700 my benchmark test(I use Seti@home as a bench personally for CPU perf)my time went from an average of 7.14 hrs per block to 4.40hrs on average.

That comes out to around a 85% boost because of the DDR and faster cycles. Considering the fact that a duron is severly crippled vs the XP's I would assume that you'd see a minimum 50% boost with more likely a 70% boost with an 1800+ to 2000+ plus. So I'd say yes, if you feel left behind that cheap upgrade for a new CPU is worth it.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:
November 15, 2002 6:40:29 PM

Quote:
(I use Seti@home as a bench personally for CPU perf)my time went from an average of 7.14 hrs per block to 4.40hrs on average.

That comes out to around a 85% boost because of the DDR and faster cycles.

You saw 62% gain <b>[EDIT - Oops! Did that backwards. Make that a 38% performance gain]</b> in Seti performance but had a 54% gain in clock speed. You received most of your gains from sheer clock speed not DDR.

To get back to the subject, a CPU upgrade from a Duron is definitely worth the money.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 11/15/02 03:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!