Dimension XPS Gen 3 or 4

I'm getting ready to order a new system and am considering the XPS Gen4. My
concern is that it will be very noisy due to all the installed cooling fans.
I have an 8200 now and could go with the 8400 and get a similar
configuration.

Could any of the experts here tell me about noise levels in the XPS and also
any other pros or cons I might have overlooked when comparing the XPS and
the 8400.

Thanks for your help!
BEK
7 answers Last reply
More about dimension

    There are a lot of complaints about the noise level of both systems on
    the Dell forums.

    "BEK" <greywingsnospamplease@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm getting ready to order a new system and am considering the XPS Gen4.
    > My concern is that it will be very noisy due to all the installed cooling
    > fans. I have an 8200 now and could go with the 8400 and get a similar
    > configuration.
    >
    > Could any of the experts here tell me about noise levels in the XPS and
    > also any other pros or cons I might have overlooked when comparing the XPS
    > and the 8400.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    > BEK

    Anecdotal observation only. The XPS is the most performance centered
    Dimension offered. With that in mind it's not surprising that the machine
    will comparatively generate lots of heat and therefore requires more cooling
    fans.

    (2) CPU/chassis fans and (2) smaller fans in the power supply. This in
    addition to any video card that may also have a fan (or may not).

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg4/sm/miller_o.htm#wp1054560

    Also, it matters or not whether you consider yourself sensitive to fan
    noise. The 8400 has a single CPU/case fan, a single power supply fan, and
    any fan that might be on your video card.

    Complaints of noise have been posted for both systems; that can be said for
    nearly every Dimension going back as far as I can recall, including your
    8200.

    Stew

    Thanks for your reply Edward. I guess what I meant to ask is, would the XPS
    be noisier than the 8400 or about the same? Are there any other things I
    should be aware of with the XPS?

    Thanks again!

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > There are a lot of complaints about the noise level of both systems on the
    > Dell forums.
    >

    > BEK wrote:
    >> I'm getting ready to order a new system and am considering the XPS Gen4.
    >> My concern is that it will be very noisy due to all the installed cooling
    >> fans. I have an 8200 now and could go with the 8400 and get a similar
    >> configuration.
    >>
    >> Could any of the experts here tell me about noise levels in the XPS and
    >> also any other pros or cons I might have overlooked when comparing the
    >> XPS and the 8400.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help!
    >> BEK

    I can live with the noise level of my current 8200 system and guess the 8400
    would be about the same. XPS probably a little louder? A lot louder??

    Also then, am I to assume that if an XPS Gen4 and a Dim 8400 are similarly
    configured, the XPS would be the one to choose because of its better cooling
    system and bigger power supply? Are these things worth the approx. $400
    difference in price?

    Please bear with me. These are $$$ decisions that I'll have to live with
    for some time to come.

    > "BEK" <greywingsnospamplease@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm getting ready to order a new system and am considering the XPS Gen4.
    >> My concern is that it will be very noisy due to all the installed cooling
    >> fans. I have an 8200 now and could go with the 8400 and get a similar
    >> configuration.
    >>
    >> Could any of the experts here tell me about noise levels in the XPS and
    >> also any other pros or cons I might have overlooked when comparing the
    >> XPS and the 8400.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help!
    >> BEK
    >>

    > Anecdotal observation only. The XPS is the most performance centered
    > Dimension offered. With that in mind it's not surprising that the machine
    > will comparatively generate lots of heat and therefore requires more
    > cooling fans.
    >
    > (2) CPU/chassis fans and (2) smaller fans in the power supply. This in
    > addition to any video card that may also have a fan (or may not).
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg4/sm/miller_o.htm#wp1054560
    >
    > Also, it matters or not whether you consider yourself sensitive to fan
    > noise. The 8400 has a single CPU/case fan, a single power supply fan, and
    > any fan that might be on your video card.
    >
    > Complaints of noise have been posted for both systems; that can be said
    > for nearly every Dimension going back as far as I can recall, including
    > your 8200.
    >

    > Stew

    I have an 8400 3.0 and an XPS Gen 3 3.4 - both with the X800 SE video card.
    The 8400 is whisper quiet. The XPS is marginally noisier. When I play Call
    of Duty or Doom 3 on the 8400, the fan noise barely increases. When I play
    Half-Life 2 on the XPS, it increases more but certainly not a huge amount.

    Both systems are under a desk on thick carpet so any noise is muffled.
    Neither system is what I would call noisy. For most usage, the 8400 is more
    than enough.

    >I have an 8400 3.0 and an XPS Gen 3 3.4 - both with the X800 SE video card.
    > The 8400 is whisper quiet. The XPS is marginally noisier. When I play
    > Call
    > of Duty or Doom 3 on the 8400, the fan noise barely increases. When I
    > play
    > Half-Life 2 on the XPS, it increases more but certainly not a huge amount.
    >
    > Both systems are under a desk on thick carpet so any noise is muffled.
    > Neither system is what I would call noisy. For most usage, the 8400 is
    > more
    > than enough.

    <snip>

    The only thing I would add to the OP is not to mistakenly think the fans in
    the 8400 and his 8200 are the same. They are very different.

    I'm not sure of the cfm or dba ratings of both, but the 8400 fan is a far
    healthier beast at high range.

    As usual, good real-life information from WSZsr.....

    Stew

    "BEK" <greywingsnospamplease@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I can live with the noise level of my current 8200 system and guess the 8400
    >would be about the same. XPS probably a little louder? A lot louder??
    >
    >Also then, am I to assume that if an XPS Gen4 and a Dim 8400 are similarly
    >configured, the XPS would be the one to choose because of its better cooling
    >system and bigger power supply? Are these things worth the approx. $400
    >difference in price?
    >
    >Please bear with me. These are $$$ decisions that I'll have to live with
    >for some time to come.

    The trouble is, "noisy" is a subjective opinion, unless you have
    accurate decibel measurements to compare to your own audiogram
    graphs, and the audiogram graphs of others expressing opinions on
    specific machines.

    And you need them for both the new machine(s) you are looking at,
    as well as the machine(s) you're comparing them to.

    I know I have a high-frequency hearing loss from too many years
    in helo squadrons in the pre-Mickey-Mouse-ears era. My 8200 at
    the office is quiet as can be to me, but an office-mate complains
    that it makes a noticeable [but not particularly annoying]
    high-pitched noise.
    --
    OJ III

Dell XPS Dimension Computers Product