My next new box

Siddhartha

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I will probably be building my next system after Christmas.
I am thinking about:
Athlon XP2800+
a Nforce 2 motherboard (I see the Asus is available)
512 meg to 1 gig RAM
Video card.
I already have the rest of the components.

My questions are:
1. What RAM should I get?
2. What video card?, I am not a gamer, and will be doing alot of video, watching, ripping, etc.
3. What Intel system, cpu, motherboard, and RAM would be comparable, in terms of performance, with the above system? And how much would it cost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

"Just the facts ma'am"

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
in the video department i can't help you, i think matrox is the way to look

a comparable intel sytem would be a pIV 2.8 with the soon to be released Sis 655, VIA P4X600 or intel Granite bay chipset they will all support dual DDR providing a bandwidth of 4.2GB minimum for optimal support of the 533fsb of the PIV processors, these boards will enter the market the next 2 months and are definetly worth looking at as an altenative to the amd Nforce 2 combination and will perform a little bit better for haevy video applicantions because of the higher memory bandwidth

the choice is yours

as for memory choose Cas 2 DDR 333 in the amount you want, note that you will need 2 identical memory modules for dual ddr to work

Remember the time You used 20Mb harddrives

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
I agree with wschuerm. That is, it would be better to go with Intel in this case. A SiS 655 chipset motherboard equipped with a 2.66GHz Intel Pentium4 and two DDR333 Cas 2.0 memory modules would be very hard to beat. And through some simple Front-Side-Bus (FSB) overclocking, well, how does a 3.2GHz Pentium4 sound?

Intel Pentium4 2.66GHz processor $315 (current price)
Sis 655 chipset motherboard $150 (approx. price)
Two 512MB Corsair XMS DDR333 Cas 2.0 Memory Modules $195x2 = $390 (current price)

*All items purchasable from <A HREF="http://www.newEgg.com" target="_new">NewEgg</A>.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
hey halkebul are you in any way assciated with newegg

they don't ship overseas, will they do it in the future?
building with components priced at newegg would save me 300$+

Remember the time You used 20Mb harddrives

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
2. What video card?, I am not a gamer, and will be doing alot of video, watching, ripping, etc.
There seems to be some good solutions from both Matrox and ATi. But in order to make the right recommendation, I have a few questions:

1) How many monitors will you use: 1, 2 or 3?
2) What type of monitor(s) will you use: CRT, LCD, Dual-Monitor and TV at the same time, other?

In any case, I see a lot of positive user feedback from the ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500 128MB Graphics card.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
hey halkebul are you in any way assciated with newegg
NewEgg usually shows up in my posts because it's just the best place to buy IMO. GoogleGear is very good. And MWave (mainly for canadian customers) usually shows up also.

they don't ship overseas, will they do it in the future?
I'm not aware of their future plans, but I know that they would surely benefit from going international.